Copper bullion

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Coin Chick, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Coin Chick

Coin Chick Loves Gold

Is copper bullion a good investment?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ginger1

Ginger1 Member

Bullion is an metal traded in near pure form, so like silver bullion and gold bullion, copper bullion takes the form of bars, rounds and coins containing either pure copper (99.99%) or in the case of copper coins 95% to 98% pure copper.

Copper is not a true precious metal, but it has a long history as a monetary metal going back to the most ancient of times. Even today, every US coin contains significant amounts of copper with only one surprising exception. The coin everyone thinks is copper, the “copper penny” is mostly made from cheaper zinc and only clad in a thin layer of copper.

4. Coin Chick

Coin Chick Loves Gold

Thanks for the info Ginger. The longer I am on this site, the more I am finding out that I think I would rather invest in gold! Copper to me does not sound very good.

5. renu

renu New Member

Yes, copper bullion is a good investment and is parallel to gold and silver.

6. Vlad

Vlad Senior Member

The question is whom are you planning to sell it-- direct consumer, refiner, broker, another copper enthusiast? It is very likely that their margins will eat yours when you will need to sell it

7. Coin Chick

Coin Chick Loves Gold

Thori to whom would you sell it to?

8. Sky9Media

Sky9Media New Member

This is very intriguing to me. I've never really considered in investing in copper bullion. As some of the others have already asked, who would you really sell this too when the time to sell comes? That'd be my question that I'd want answered mainly. Also, while silver and gold prices are fluctuating all over the place right now, will copper continually stay low, or do a lot of people think it will increase in value/oz anytime in the nearer future?

9. vest007

vest007 New Member

I thought about buying some copper bullion coins. But then the markup was insanely high. Then I thought about buying some bullion bars, but again, they would take a lot of storage space. The coins were very beautiful though. If I am able to get some of them anywhere near the metal value, then definitely I will have a go at them.

[​IMG]

10. Guardian1

Guardian1 New Member

Those look nice. I would definitely be interested in copper coins if I could get them without a ridiculous markup. But that's the problem, the markup. I have plenty of spare copper laying around, I wish I had the ability to make them, these are nice.

11. vest007

vest007 New Member

Check them here:

http://shop.thecopperexchange.net/5...n-Eagle-Stamp-5-Roll-20-OZ-American-Eagle.htm

They are costing about $1.50 / Oz. The market value of copper is about $0.20 / Oz. So the markup here is about 750%.

Draft saved Draft deleted