continental currency 1776

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ctcoinfound, Nov 30, 2010.

1. ctcoinfound

ctcoinfound New Member

Hi, I found a coin that says "continental curency 1776".How can I determine if this is authentic?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

It would be a big help if you could post a pic! you can try photobucket.com it,s free and
    The images are great ;)

4. ctcoinfound

ctcoinfound New Member

5. ctcoinfound

ctcoinfound New Member

nowhere can I find the word fake,copy,replica,or r.

6. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Sorry but not real.

7. ctcoinfound

ctcoinfound New Member

based on the way it looks? Or because it's so rare and copied that the likelihood is that it's not real?

8. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Yes based on both of those.

9. ctcoinfound

ctcoinfound New Member

I should mention that it weighs 26g,you can write with it and it has "becker" in the edge/side

10. nerarities

nerarities New Member

Becker made a group of copies and sold them as a set. The Continental Dollar was included as well as a Fugio Cent, a Virginia Halfpenny and a Higley Copper amongst others. They normally sell for around $50-75 for the complete set with original box. Individual pieces are common and often sell in the $10 range (+/-). All his copies have the word Becker stamped on the edge as to not confuse them with authentic pieces.

11. ctcoinfound

ctcoinfound New Member

Thank you for your knowledgeable answer

12. CappedBustDimes

CappedBustDimes Senior Member

I thought the Becker copies were valued a little higher than your estimate...do you have any estimates on how many Becker copies were made and what methods were used?

I was thinking they were valued closer to some of the more common Bolen copies?

13. ctcoinfound

ctcoinfound New Member

does anyone have a time period for this coin?

14. nerarities

nerarities New Member

Well, it depends on what period the Becker pieces you are referring to for their value. Peter Rosa in the 1960s assumed Becker Manufacturing Company and produced a ton of copies (from colonials to ancients) and sold them for a few dollars a piece. This Continental Dollar is from the 1960s and is Peter Rosa's work. Also, many of the New Hampshire 1776 coppers can be attributed to Peter Rosa. I may be a bit low on my estimate but I have sold the complete set of 7 pieces with original box sell for $75 recently. The Higley copper in the set is usually the most valuable piece as the quality of copy makes it look a bit more realistic in person than the other pieces (it can range from $20-40).

Some of the more common Bolen colonial pieces still attract attention as they were made in the 1860s and well executed from original dies. The dies were then sold and other pieces were struck after the fact, but mostly on incorrect metals such as brass and white metal. Even the more common Bolen colonial pieces can fetch hundreds of dollars and in Uncirculated condition can be in the $1-2k range in copper and much more in silver (though silver pieces are incredibly rare).

mark_s_schwartz likes this.
  15. CappedBustDimes

CappedBustDimes Senior Member

Are these the replicas that were produced Peter Rosa. Becker Manufacturing from 1955-1990. According to a former employee, he chose the name Becker for his company, given his admiration for an early German maker of that name KarL Becker?

http://www.coinreplicas.com/about/peter-rosa-biography

16. nerarities

nerarities New Member

Check out this page for some more information on the more recent "Becker" copies. There is some detailed history on how the coins were produced and what time frame.

http://coinbooks.org/esylum_v13n01a20.html

17. nerarities

nerarities New Member

Yes CappedBust Dimes,

He is the same. We just posted basically the same link<bg>! You are correct that he chose that name after the early maker Karl Becker (or atleast that is what I believe to be true). Without seeing the piece in person I cannot be 100% sure, but I do know the Continental Dollar made by Peter Rosa with Becker on the edge is fairly common in the colonial marketplace compared to other older cast reproductions (not to be confused with the hundreds of recent casting of the Continental Dollar that show up all the time).

18. artebellavista

artebellavista New Member

Duke, can help me?. I have a Continental coin and I need to know is real. Thanks so much junio disfraces 045.jpg junio disfraces 046.jpg junio disfraces 044.jpg

jello likes this.
  19. coinguy-matthew

coinguy-matthew Ike Crazy

Start your own thread and you will have better luck getting an expert opinion and welcome to CT........:thumb:

20. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Sorry but its a cast fake. Easy to tell cause of the surfaces.

21. artebellavista

artebellavista New Member

Thank so much Mat.

Draft saved Draft deleted