Considering buying a coin with problems...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by thejewk, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Congrats! Enjoy it!

thejewk likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

Thanks @Jay GT4 I will. Let the postman stalking begin....

4. thejewk

I'm beginning to think that it is possible that the reverse of this coin has been struck with a sestertius die, if that's possible. The dotted edge is clearly visible at the top, and runs completely off the flan, the lettering of Pudicitia is clear at the top and runs off the sides, and there is a clear trace of the top of an S for the SC that would appear at the bottom of some of the sestertii using this reverse type, whereas most of the asses and dupondii feature SC surrounding the figure.

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  5. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

I don't think the flan crack you were worried about interferes with the portrait at all. In fact I think the portrait is quite appealing. I was glad to see that you treated yourself to an attractive coin that you wanted. Enjoy!

6. thejewk

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

What is the weight and diameter? What denomination are you calling it?

8. arizonarobin

arizonarobin Well-Known Member

A really beautiful portrait. Sometimes you just know when a coin is calling to you, congrats on your lovely addition!

I can rarely resist a lovely portrait of Faustina Jr.
    [​IMG]

9. thejewk

@dougsmit it's 26mm and 11.51g, and listed as a dupondius by the seller, but I think 'dupondius or as' would be the better choice.

dougsmit likes this.
  10. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

I don't think the crack is an issue on this coin, especially with a portrait as fine as this.

thejewk likes this.
  11. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I also do not let some flan damage get in the way of purchasing a nice coin. Yes it has a small crack, but just look at that portrait of Vespasian. I also love the nemesis on the reverse. It also does not hurt that it is an Ex: E E Clain-Stefanelli coin.

vespasian ric 544.jpg

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I don't find the crack in your coin all that distracting but I am not bothered by some things that others would consider serious.
    Gordian III
    ro0650bb0185.jpg

Philip II ("splitting headache x2") Marcianopolis
    po2390bb1846.jpg

13. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

I really like your new Faustina AE - that is a lovely younger portrait. The problems wouldn't bother me at all.

In regards to "sestertius die" possibilities, I have a peculiar Faustina I sestertius (?) that is on a broad flan that is filled by the design, but only weighs 13.7 grams. I posted this a while back and got some helpful input from various members on this topic:

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/faustina-i-sestertius-or-dupondius.317204/

arizonarobin and thejewk like this.
  14. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Great portrait on your new coin!

Good call on buying it.

John

thejewk likes this.
  15. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

I once owned this Gordian with a similar crack. It didn't bother me at all. It's a natural flaw of the minting process, and as long as it doesn't get in the way of anything its a really minor issue.
    Gordian 3 Sestertius.jpg

16. Nvb

Nvb Well-Known Member

This is an interesting thread as I am often drawn to coins with problems as long as they still have eye appeal.
    I'm currently considering a couple of tetradrachms that would be out of reach (several thousand dollars) if not for their flaws.

One has a a serious crack (possibly at risk of breaking in two) and another has pitting and corrosion but it is still beautiful. I don't think these issues would bother me much, and they make an otherwise very expensive coin attainable.

thejewk likes this.
  17. thejewk

@Nvb I think it comes down to eye appeal, in the final analysis, which seems to be a very loose but useful concept. I agree with what you say, and it definitely applied in this instance, but in another case recently it did not apply.

I am looking for an Antoninus with Marcus Caesar reverse, not fussy about which denomination, but they go for a fair bit more than I am able to pay at the moment. An example cropped up a week or two back which was an as, and had fairly good detail but the coin was incredibly rough and the patina was multicoloured in an unpleasant way. The price was certainly right, but I just couldn't see myself enjoying the coin, and have decided to just wait until I either have the funds for a better example or I get lucky and a lower end coin has enough eye appeal for me to grab it.

Valentinian likes this.
  18. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

19. SeptimusT

SeptimusT Well-Known Member

It's really a case by case thing. I have some problem coins that I definitely regret buying, and wish I'd held out and spent a bit more on a nicer example. They'll be hard to sell. On the other hand, I have some problem coins I love; almost all of my Alexandrian coins are problem coins, as are most coins from Alexandria, and I have a holed coin that I love and have posted numerous times in the past. I also have an Augustus provincial denarius which is worn and partially delaminated, but which would have been out of my price range otherwise.

I recently acquired this half-as (ha!) from Nemausus because of how well its lovely portrait of Agrippa compliments my whole specimen, and have absolutely no regrets:
    Agrippa - Nemausus half as.jpg

thejewk, randygeki, octavius and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted