Common date saints good alternatives to bullion

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by mpcusa, Jan 18, 2024.

1. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yes they do, I've bought from Liberty myself but it's been awhile, I'm a bit short on foam! :D

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I think the concept is pretty solid, you can get just about 1 OZ of GOLD buying low grade raw common date saints after all your just after the GOLD content.

KeyHunter and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  4. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I just bought from Liberty coin on eBay. I also buy from mbarrcoins on eBay which may have slightly lower priced dependent what it is.

I bought some 1/10 ASEs ... these things are small. Gonna stick with larger ones.

5. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Absolutely, larger coins usually means larger savings! thumbupp.gif

KeyHunter, mpcusa and Cheech9712 like this.
  6. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

At FUN 2020, I bought a 1915-S MS-63 for the price of spot gold, maybe a $30 premium when gold was about $1,600. So maybe a 5% premium accounting for the 0.9675 ounces of gold.

I sold it last year and the OGH helped me get close to a 15% premium to the spot price of about $2,000/ounce !! :wideyed:

Cheech9712 likes this.
  7. GoldFinger1969

You have to. As a novelty item or a 1-time purchase, they're OK. But the premiums on the 1/10th or 1/20th ounce gold coins can be 40%. And you won't get it back in all likelihood if you need to sell and gold is at the same price. :mad:

8. GoldFinger1969

9. Clawcoins

Oh I know that. I haven't bought gold since it went above $1500 or something like that.

I bought it for $238.67 and spot at that time was $2,023.31
    I was thinking of buying a tube of 'em just for "novelty" in a way.

The only small gold coins I have are stuff like the 1917 McKinley gold dollar that I bought at least 8 years ago and other $1, $2.50 gold coins (plus normally the 1 oz for stacking). I've never sold any gold (only sold silver), going back to the 1980s so I'm not too worried about premiums at this point. Plus, who knows when I could kick the bucket. I still have to buy a 3/4 oz Kennedy which is on my short list which I held off when spot was $800 and was hoping it would lower ... oops.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  10. Clawcoins

I didn't realize until I put it on my inventory sheet that I bought 1/10ths in the past back in 2017 when I bought them for $143.23 / $1253.09 oz spot. So premiums are a short term concern and as long as you're not paying stupid high premiums one should be fine if they are in it for the long term (as long as spot doesn't crash).

11. Player11

Player11 Bullish

Demand strong for common date Saints whether for type or investment. I Sell a number of Slabbed pieces MS63-MS65 from my table at shows around CDN CPG. Attractive coins with super luster move quickest. Many new investors with fresh money pursuing US Gold Type Coins. Another strong area slabbed Oregon Trail Classic Commems. Demand strongest for brilliant pieces with super luster. San Diego issues also strong sellers.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2024
    Joel Turner and mpcusa like this.
  12. mpcusa

The value is definitely there I own allot of saints as well as liberties and and will continue to buy those two issues as well
    as some bullion as well :)

Clawcoins likes this.
  13. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

It depends who you're dealing with, as I guarantee a full price return, with a premium!

LOL I've never had a return, when selling quality!

14. GoldFinger1969

I have to check my records -- not sure I even have the dates -- but I don't recall ever buying 1/10th ouncers for LESS than like a 40% premium.

Now....for most of that time gold was rising as I think the time period was 2009-12. It's possible that the premium falls when interest in gold is lackluster and the price is either flatlining or dropping. But I have never gotten them as cheap as what you paid when I got them from my LCS.

Nice job ! :D

Clawcoins likes this.
  15. GoldFinger1969

Great and interesting observations. Can you elaborate a bit more on them ?

Type or Investment demand on the rise for Saints....who are these "new investors" you are talking about, are they just new CUSTOMERS or have they told you they just got into coin collecting.....surprised about Oregon Trail coins, very niche and specific.....what are San Diego issues ?

I had to sell my 1915-S OGH last year and I bought it for spot gold at FUN 2020 and got a 15% premium on the sale so you are definitely correct on rising demand for the investment source of Saints.

16. mpcusa

As the story goes the less GOLD you buy the more premium you will have to pay.
    and that’s a given.

17. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

Here is a PR69 DCAM 1/10 oz. PROOF Gold coin purchased @ $265 today for considerably less than a 40% premium:
    https://order.ebay.com/ord/show?orderId=06-11254-22934#/
    What silver coin in that condition/mintage, which would come even close in comparison?
    I believe none!
    JMHO

Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
Draft saved Draft deleted