Collector's Universe (CLCT) Stock Cratered -- fewer gradings

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by GoldFinger1969, Mar 21, 2018.

1. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

CLCT is the company that includes PCGS. A month ago they reported their quarterly earnings. Stock got crushed about 35% in 1 day. U.S. Mint had lousy sales in 2017 plus classic coin gradings falling alot killed them.

Could be a trend to watch between PCGS and NGC.

DrDarryl likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

It's actually more likely due to PSA than PCGS. PSA has been losing market share to Beckett's new autograph authentication service, as well as their grading service.

That, coupled with lower membership subscriptions, would lead to lower revenue for the quarter.

4. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Actually in there own press release they mention increases in cards and autographs before stating the losses cause as being slow down in the coin service area

'Our coin service revenues declined by $4.4 million, or 34%, and $0.9 million, or 4%, in the second quarter and first six months, respectively, of the current fiscal year, as compared to the same respective periods of last year. China coin revenues decreased by $2.2 million, or 59%, in this year's second quarter, which we believe was primarily due to seasonality and period-to-period volatility we have seen in that business. For the six months, China revenues increased by $1.0 million or 21%, due to the increase in those revenues during this year's first quarter. In addition, revenues generated by our US coins business declined by $2.3 million, or 27%, and by $2.2 million, or 13%, in the second quarter and six months ended December 31, 2017, respectively, reflecting a general slowness in the coin market in this year's second quarter.'

https://www.nasdaq.com/press-releas...-second-quarter-of-fiscal-2018-20180207-01308

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

A lot of folks keep talking about how tight they are right now. A while back they were saying how loose they were. This can't be good for them.

6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The stock was crushed because the dividend was cut. Big money used the stock for that. It's really not rocket science

Santinidollar and Paul M. like this.
  7. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Crazy coincidence on this thread, I made a stock purchase earlier today. Interesting to see how this plays out. I was flush after KILLING it with GERN yesterday and today.

8. NorthKorea

Ironically, the 14% "record" increase was well below their internal growth projections. Steve Grad leaving is a huge problem for them, going forward.

And, yes, the dividend was the driver... BTW, why is this in bullion and not GD?

9. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Just curious. At today’s price, the dividend is 4.45 percent, which ain’t shoddy. What had it been?

10. baseball21

I can’t remeber the percentage but they cut they actual payout by at least half. It was a really nice dividend

11. NorthKorea

Last I looked, which admittedly was Sept or Oct, I think it was 7.2%.

12. Nathan401

I bought a small position recently when it was at 15. Was this a good or bad decision? I'm an amateur playing around with Ameritrade. I'd like to hear a few experienced opinions.

13. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

$15 stock with a 4.4 percent dividend? Might be a winner, depending on whether cash flow will cover the dividend. But do some studying of their financials.

14. baseball21

It’s hard to say the dividend was such a big part

15. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

I have tracked them for years. Never bought any though since I always was worried where the revenue would come from once all classic coins that are going to be slabbed are slabbed. They can only play the "loosen standards to encourage crackouts" game to a point.

I am a fundamentals investor. Do you believe their grading growth will continue? If so, it may be an attractive stock for you. Personally I am bearish.

16. baseball21

We’re a long ways away from those all being slabbed especially with how many people still crack slabs or stubbornly refuse to accept them.

Regardless world coin revenue is large and both PCGS and NGC could survive off the modern issues issued every year if they had too.

As far as the stock who knows, the cut dividend really hurts it in this climate since it’s obviously not going to be a 1000 dollar a share stock ever. It could certainly benefit in a climate where people look more for dividends than riding growing stocks

17. Nathan401

It's up $1.50 per share since I bought.

18. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Maybe turn around times will be better now. o_O

Draft saved Draft deleted