Collection Early Walker halves

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Dimedude2, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

I am getting closer to finishing a collection of Walking Liberty half dollars. I am 8 away, and need to get the early ones (16s, the 17 obvs, 19, 19s, etc) that can be difficult to grade because of the varying strikes. This collection has been going on for 12 years on and off and the search has been fun yet challenging and at times frustrating. My goal is to find these in the F-VF range and certified by PCGS or NGC. Finding these coins at local shows or national shows have been a challenge but will be a joy once I complete these. However, I need to be patient.

If any of you have experiences or thoughts on this, please let me know.

mac266 and tommyc03 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Good luck. Keep plugging away. :) I'd just make sure to search eBay in between shows, since you're looking for certified pieces. Also, here is a list of dealers that tend to have good stuff: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ma...n-dealers-dealers-with-great-websites.248281/

Another alternative is to work with a dealer using a want list. A dealer is probably going to see more coins than you, even if you go to several major shows a year. The only thing here is you deprive yourself of a little bit of the hunt.

4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

WLH are always a tough series to complete the way we would like but is indeed a noble goal. I kept most of my completed collection up to 1939 in the fine range with all others at M.S. in varying numbers. The 1921's I finished last year in Fine 15. Good luck to you and keep us posted on how you make out.

5. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

Thanks Tommy! Much appreciated. I may present on this WLHs later thus year at the coin club.

tommyc03 likes this.
  6. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Be patient. Don't compromise. The right coin will turn up.

mac266, Dimedude2 and Paul M. like this.
  7. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

Thanks for the advice. Yep, I will remain patient.

ThinnPikkins likes this.
  8. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

That listing was excellent, and also show the challenge ahead. 1919 halves will be difficult as well as the 17 d and s obverses.

Draft saved Draft deleted