Collection Aims for 2019?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Clavdivs, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

I’m expecting 2019 to be like this year, really really slow purchase. But that’s ok because I’m growing more appreciative of just how awesome this hobby is.

I’m hoping to actually bring my coins home, they still live with my parents.

My main goal is to participate in AMCC 2. I’d like to get a couple Judaea coins, they’re always top of the list.

I’m basically going to have more fun and see some more epic additions from my ancient coin buddies.:cool:

Rock on dudes.

Erin

dlhill132, Alegandron, Smojo and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

My collection aim/goal for 2019 is to reconstitute a collection of a few nicely patinated (mostly) Julio-Claudian sestertii that show wear and use and with well executed, mostly complete, legends. That is what I collected when I started my love affair with Ancient coins almost eighty years ago and I intend to finish with them!

Following are extracts from some postings I made here in the past:

“I previously said that the time has come for me to downsize my Ancient coin collection so that my family will not be burdened with disposing of so many great artifacts they know nothing (or very little) about when I depart this wonderful world. But how to do that and still retain a very small “swan song” collection of coins that I can fondle and admire and read about in my “golden years”? Well, I think I have achieved that goal: I have consigned the majority of my Tetrarchic Romano Britannic coins for Auction by a highly respected Dealer - and retained just a few coins to satisfy my need to have some to fondle, admire and study”

Later I wrote:

“But, how weak willed or lacking in resolve some of us (me, actually) are ...... I forgot that there are a couple more - absolutely the last for sure (!!!)”

And later yet:

“My goal was to retain 16 coins and my final (ahem) count is 15

…………… which goes to emphasize my weakness when it comes to Roman Imperial coins!

You never overcome this disease!!!

And I intend to keep “rocking on” for awhile Erin dude! :)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  4. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

I really need to slow down. Hopefully, 2019 will be a year for unloading stuff I don't love and replacing it with better pieces.

5. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

On the coin buying front
    I would like to keep working on a set of Nerva-Antonine dynasty coins in silver I started this year. I would also like to pick up a few classical Greek coins. Most importantly, I want to hold myself to the tenet that if I don't have the time to study it, photograph it, and properly catalog it then I shouldn't be buying it.

I was doing a mental inventory of my top 10 for 2018 and a full 9 of them are un-photographed (and un-posted!). For 2019 I am thinking less coins... more time to appreciate them.

Of course, I am still going to pick up coins I like for general eclectic reasons. Like this new addition from the recent AMCC auction.

398198.jpg

I also intend to win the lottery (which is hard when you don't play it) next year so I can get started on my Dekadrachm collection.

On the photography front
    I would like to continue experimenting with photographing toned coins. I am getting better at it but I can only get in-hand comparable results in natural sunlight. The problem is the sun only seems to visit Minne'snow'ta for about 30 minutes a day and only during working hours :banghead::banghead::banghead:

When I try to use my lighting set up the colors bleed together and look almost runny and far less sharp.

6. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me. Top of the list this year is improving my coin photography.

Jwt708 likes this.
  7. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

An attractive roman republican or imperatorial coin or two in price range - mostly 1st century BC. Improving photography setup and books also on the wish list.

8. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

At the end of 2017 I had planned to work on the coinage of Roman Alexandria, in 2018 I didn't add a single coin from Roman Egypt to my collection, the medieval bug bit me...goes to show you, you never know!

Having said that, in 2019 I'd like to:

1. Work on Roman Egypt
    2. Medieval France
    3. Get back to my Biblical coin collecting roots

We will see what happens.

9. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

I was just trying to make a joke. I'm with you on privileging history over condition. Every coin tells a story, and sometimes the coin with more wear tells a richer story.

10. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Some fantastic responses - I find it so interesting to hear what everyone is up to..
    Since I posted this thread and read through the responses so far I have the outline of a plan for 2019:

-catch up on photography and documentation on recent purchases (and improve both!)
    -continue to work on my storage solution (I have started building a few trays myself and retro fitting a few wooden boxes that I've picked up cheap
    -start a collection of the Adoptive Emperors in sestertii .. as usual these will be on the lower end of the $$ scale. Nerva seems to be a challenge to obtain at a reasonable price (for me) - as well as Lucius Verus.. but I hope to get lucky.

That's the plan - but I find it hard to not pick up a bargain or cool coin... which seems to derail my best intentions... must..... be..... strong......!!!

11. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

I need to photograph and catalog more of my coins, especially the ones bought pre internet.

I need to improve the organization of my collection. The last five years I have spent accumulating coins with the plan of researching and cataloging them when I retire in five more years. Having lots of coins sitting in bags waiting for attention is starting to gnaw at me.

:)

12. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

My collecting aims of 2019 are first of all obtaining my first tetradrachm, most likely a nice one from Alexander, or who knows one from Philip II.

Also, I continue to pursue in getting pretty much all the coin from Epeiros, it will take a long time but oh well I got that time, I'm not in a hurry. I have also recently become very interested in Achelois, the man-headed bull, I hope getting some coins of that and gaining knowledge about it by reading @Nicholas Molinari book which I received last week.

And ofcourse I pick up coins I find interesting in general, that can be from Magna Graecia to Seleukid Empire, not anything particular specific.

13. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

14. Nerva

Nerva Well-Known Member

I would like to buy a slabbed coin. I still haven’t had an opportunity to release one.

Sulla80, Justin Lee, TIF and 5 others like this.
  15. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I'm a "whatever grabs me" or "I know what i like when I see it" kind of collector these days. ("Magpie collector" is my private term for it.)

As an eclectic, freestyle collector with no set boundaries to serve as a roadmap, I'm free to pursue whatever catches my fancy. But I end up zigzagging all over the world and consider so many different types of coins and exonumia from every time period, ancient to modern, you might say I have a somewhat schizophrenic collecting style.

On the one hand, it's liberating, but on the other, it can be frustrating because of the "so many cool coins, so little money to buy them with" problem.

Below are just some of the things I would like to add to The Eclectic Box this coming year. I think when we revisit this conversation in late 2019, I will have acquired some of them, given up or not gotten around to the rest, and will have also acquired several that were not on my radar at all as of my typing this. (And those will likely be the really fun ones!)

Obviously I will not be able to afford everything on...

My (hopeful) "list of coming attractions", in no particular order:
    • A medieval bracteate.
    • An ancient Celtic coin.
    • An Anglo-Saxon coin, like a sceat. My beloved Aethelred II penny went away this year.
    • A Viking coin.
    • A Crusader coin, likely of the "helmet denier" type.
    • An ancient coin with a galley or ship (there's a Nero Alexandrian type I like.)
    • A good sized silver tetradrachm (any type) with artistic engraving and a design I like. (I swapped away Big Al a while back.)
    • A coin of Akragas with a crab on it.
    • A Baktrian coin; perhaps one of those square drachms.
    • A klippe, since my Nurnberg hobby horse went away.
    • A coin pedigreed to the collection of the 6th president of the United States:John Quincy Adams, who is my ancestor. They're out there, but I've never had the opportunity to acquire one.
    • A coin of Elizabeth I of England, but not just any old one. I'm after a very particular look, and want a dated piece, which rules out denominations above sixpence. Dates of 1565 or 1588 would be especially nice.
    • A Conder token, but I'll be very selective there, too. I want a prooflike piece with a cool design.
    • Another nice French essai pattern, preferably 1848, since my lovely Marianne went away this year.
    • A Russian coin. Imperial/Czarist would be fine, but the Soviet rouble of 1924 is a type I'm particularly keen for.
    • A 1957 Ceylon 5 rupees commemorating the 2,500th anniversary of Buddhism, in proof or attractive BU.
    • A Mexican "Caballito" type peso.
    • A historic shipwreck-pedigreed coin of some kind, but nothing horribly seawater-damaged. It has to look good. Usually this means gold, but gold from historic shipwrecks is usually beyond my budget.
    • A full thaler of the 16th or 17th century. I have a nice quarter- and half- thaler already.
    • A coin listed in Levinson's Early Dated Coins of Europe, 1234-1500. I've owned the book a decade but have yet to own a pre-1500 coin with an actual Western-style date on it. They're scarce. I want a gold one if possible. That might just be obtainable at the very upper limits of my budget, if I sell some stuff first.
    • One of the first gold coins from the nation of Tonga.
    • A coin with elephant(s) on it.
    • A coin with a griffin/gryphon on it. This one went away a while back.
    • A coin with snake(s) on it.
    • A Scottish coin.
    • An Irish coin (since I swapped away my gunmoney).
    • A coin of Roman Egypt.
    • A Roman Imperial coin of a short-lived emperor or usurper with a reign of less than six months.
    • A Roman empress coin with nice portrait and interesting reverse type
    • Modern proof gold (small coins OK)
    • Another piece of classic US gold (since my Dahlonega half-eagle went away this summer, but it bought my daughter a used car).
    • A nice US Seated Liberty type coin (probably quarter, half, or dollar) with very attractive CircCam contrast.
    • A big rolltop desk or cubicle so I can finally have a home workspace of my own instead of competing with wife and daughter's clutter on the kitchen table. I say rolltop desk because that can be sealed off from sleeping cats or piles of laundry or girly craft projects.
    • I really, really need to catch up on doing writeups and adding supplemental photos and other general housekeeping.

That's it for now. Gimme time- I'll think up more! :)

If I can check or ten or twelve things off that list, I reckon 2019 will be a success.

dlhill132, Trish, jamesicus and 12 others like this.
  16. SeptimusT

SeptimusT Well-Known Member

2018 has been a great year, but I have a few goals for next year:

- Move towards having one coin of each emperor who ruled pre-200 AD (doubt I complete that next year, but maybe add a couple)

- Continue to expand my collection of Augustus coins, particularly provincials, but hopefully some more imperial issues

- Continue to expand my collection of pre-200 AD Roman Alexandrian coins

- Get rid of some coins that I no longer enjoy, by gifting and selling

Of course, even though I have started to narrow my interests into a few specializations this year, I still can't help being a generalist. So who knows what the future will bring.

17. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I am not a "Lord" but a lowly gardener, but you and I are coin brothers:) I also collect with no rhyme or reason, pretty well bid on anything that turns my crank. Kinda a neat way to enjoy this nice hobby.
    John

Theodosius likes this.
  18. panzerman

I now have 200+ slabbed coins. I have pets and peeves with TPGs. In the negative column/ the data is short on details/ the grading is too LIBERAL, esp. with hammered coinage. But on the plus side, they list all the flaws like cleaning/ tooling/ smoothing/ etc. Also the slab itself protects your valuable coin from the elements/ prevents touching of said coin/ a big no no. Finger tips have acidic residue. Also they cannot slid around like in a flip/ which may damage coin, also no PVC residues....so I would never "release" a coin from a slab.

Nerva likes this.
  19. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

With money getting tighter as I near graduation (December 2019), I probably won’t be buying much next year. Maybe the occasional $10-50 coin, but nothing major. I won’t even be looking.

I might get back into wheeling and dealing coins over the summer if I get the income to do so, which would free up some cash for some better purchases.

panzerman likes this.
  20. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

But for grungy coins which us mortals can only afford, we like fondling them. :)

Justin Lee and panzerman like this.
  21. panzerman

I did that for the first time ever. I sent my banknote collection to Heritage Auctions, to free up some $$$$ to then "just" go after coins. I hope that I do not regret that decision.....
    John

PS: Slabs...I read in "Coin News" that your finger tips have a PH of 5.5/ thus a US proof dime from 1870s was perfect except for a fingerprint....imagine that.

Draft saved Draft deleted