collectibility of Canadian Maple leaf coins?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Mapleleaf, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Mapleleaf

Mapleleaf Junior Member

Hello All,

I recently got back into coin collecting. I have a few silver Canadian Maple Leaf coins which I really enjoy. Are they collectable and if so, are there more sought after years?

Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

It is a personal preference, but I enjoy maples. For the most part, they are just bullion, but there are some privy marks that are worth a little money. They are not as popular as the Eagle, but I believe that is good, so you can get them at better deals.:D

4. Mapleleaf

Mapleleaf Junior Member

Thanks byrd740,

I have one privy marked coin so far (horse 2002). I actually think it is prettier than the silver Eagles. Too bad they are not more collectable.

I am looking for coins that have both the inate bullion value as well as some collectable value.

5. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Well gold has no borders. I think Canada has some really great Silver Dollars. I like the Maple leaf side but that thing on the other side Has to Go, ruins a nice coin. Traci :whistle:

Attached Files:

6. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

You ought to be ashamed of yourself, speaking of the Queen like that.:(

7. Mapleleaf

Mapleleaf Junior Member

Another question.

Is it OK to keep the silver Maple Leaves in the origional plastic package or put them in air tight containers?

Thanks.

8. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I've had some maple leafs in the original plastic since the 1980s with no side effects.

9. CoinKeeper

CoinKeeper Keeper of Coins

The queen has nothing to do with our Canadian heritage, and plays no role in the lives of Canadians. I think it is a slap in the face to all Canadians that 50% of all the coins depict someone who has such an insignificant role in Canadian society. It would be best to put the coat of arms, influential past prime ministers, aboriginal designs, or even the explorers that discovered Canada on the obverse of our coins! Those are things that most Canadians would appreciate and which truly represent our heritage!!! Get rid of the queen!!!

10. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

I agree with you 100% there, but calling her "that thing", is not polite.

11. CoinKeeper

CoinKeeper Keeper of Coins

That's a matter of opinion.

12. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

I think putting The McKensey Brothers on the other side of the Maple Leaf would be much better. Traci

13. boxerchip

boxerchip Runnin' Buffalo

Just the bullion coins... not so much, but the privy marks are great! much more fun to collect than the eagles that are all the same. Ive collected all the pricy mark coins except for a 2000 hannover expo, a 2000 only fireworks, and a VJ day thats otw as well as a RCMP otw as well.
    Pic sorta sucks due to not having all the coins flipped the right way- my bad :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

14. danisanub

danisanub Finance Major

WOw nice collection, I only have one maple leaf and one half ounce lunar wolf from canada. Wanna lend me some? :eat:

Draft saved Draft deleted