Coins that went goodbye

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Dec 13, 2018.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

As the year comes to a close, I thought we could post a final farewell to some coins that we owned but decided to pass along to new owners.

Here are a few of my favorites:
    384542-3.jpg 395106-1.jpg IMG_1940.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JickyD

JickyD Active Member

Something about these two 1906-1907.jpg I just like, and am sorry I gave them up. I guess I have two in better shape, but the colors of these two paired together just clicks with me.

4. ddddd

ddddd Member

One of my favorite slabs went sayonara, but it's in good hands now. :)

IMG_8981.JPG IMG_8980.JPG

5. ddddd

ddddd Member

And one more from the foreign department.

611040-1.jpg 611040-2.jpg

6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Do you mean for this to be coins we've let go just in the past year?

7. ddddd

ddddd Member

Yep only for 2018. :)

8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'm a bit short on pictures, there were a few coins that I flipped quickly before I could get emotionally attached to them. :rolleyes:

There was this one:

17-slq-toned-obv.JPG
    17-slq-toned-rev.JPG

Nice luster, but it was displayed in a cardboard-backed frame that was not, I would say, coin-safe. :( There'll be nicer ones along in the future.

longshot, Larry E, Mainebill and 2 others like this.
  9. COCollector

COCollector Well-Known Member

To help pay for a new home, I sold a bunch of coins in 2018.

The most expensive was this low-mintage (3,881) Platinum Eagle Proof:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It was also my highest-profit sale ever.

10. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

ddddd likes this.
  11. lordmarcovan

Here are some which left me in 2018, as memory serves. There may have been more.

The first one (the Mint State Aethelred II Anglo-Saxon penny) brings the most seller's remorse. It was one of my top three favorites, but it went back to its previous owner, who missed it. (But I only parted with it because he's a close friend, and besides, I owed him money).

That 1848 French pattern below carries some remorse, too, but like most of these, it helped me acquire something else.

The 1842-D USA half-eagle was the most valuable by a wide margin, but parting with it did not bring too much remorse, since it went to a good cause.

The Netherlands/Gelderland goldgulden really irks me. I sent it off and PCGS "details" graded it. Tried it at NGC and they gave it "ineligible type" (as they also did the Brabant florin below). Then I swapped away the Gelderland piece (cracked out of the "problem" slab), and the new owner sent it back to PCGS and they not only straight graded it, but upgraded it five points higher, and shot a better Trueview image of it! Grrr. Oh well. Live by the slab, die by the slab.

Gone, but not forgotten:

[​IMG]
    England (Anglo-Saxon): silver penny of Aethelred II (978-1016 AD), struck ca. 997-1003 AD

[​IMG]
    Turkey (Seljuks of Rûm): silver dirham of Kaykhusraw II; lion & sun, AH 638 (1240-1241)

[​IMG]
    Netherlands (Gelderland): "St. John" goldgulden (florin) of Arnold van Egmond, ca. 1423-1472

[​IMG]
    Belgium (Brabant): gold Carolus d’or (florin) of Holy Roman Emperor Charles V, ca. 1521-1545

[​IMG]
    German States (Nurnberg): silver 1/8 thaler klippe of Ferdinand III; Peace of Westphalia, 1650

[​IMG]
    Ireland: brass "gunmoney" halfcrown, July, 1690; struck during the Williamite-Jacobite War

[​IMG]
    United States: gold half-eagle (5 dollars); Liberty Head type, 1842-D small date, Dahlonega mint

[​IMG]
    France: copper specimen striking of a 10-centime pattern (essai); Marianne and fasces, 1848

[​IMG]
    Guatemala: silver quarter-real, 1898; volcanoes with sunburst

[​IMG]
    United States: cupronickel dime, Roosevelt type, 2001-P, mint error (missing obverse clad layer)

12. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

Sold a lot of details graded thai coins and some lower grade dupes. Added more better quality thai and world crown coins.

dlhill132, ddddd and lordmarcovan like this.
  13. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

What is this "goodbye" thingie you're talking about? My collection is like the Hotel California; coins can check in any time they like, but they can never leave.

rooman9, Nathan401, dwhiz and 11 others like this.
  14. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I gave away some coins. I always give away some coins. Gifted coins do not leave me with any sellers remorse at all...... This one however was the only coin I sold this year. And is the only coin I was ever happy to say good-bye to.

IMG_2985.JPG

15. ddddd

ddddd Member

I really liked it, but couldn’t say no when I got the right offer.

By the way, I’ve always been a fan of your collecting approach and in that spirit am trying to scale back towards a box of 20 (maybe 2-3 :p), so that is another reason that I’m letting some coins go.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  16. mac266

mac266 Well-Known Member

1917 type 1? Why were you happy to say goodbye? Does her exposed breast offend you?

17. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Oh heavens no!! In fact I have quite the harem of Type 1's in my collection for just that reason. It was graded MS65 and had a black spunge toning to it that was as unappealing as any coin I ever owned. I am more of a "blast white" sort of guy.

18. lordmarcovan

Well, I'm bloating some. My former Box of 20 became a Box of 40 as of my November update, and a Box of 42 as of this morning.

(Just sold that Roosevelt dime error a few days ago but added three more coins yesterday and today, for a net gain of two pieces.)

It's still a small and manageable collection, though. I figure if you have ever found a coin in your stuff that you've forgotten you owned (yep, it's happened to me in the past), then it's time to either downsize or buy more memorable pieces - or both.

Back to your toned Hawaii quarter- I briefly owned a white NGC MS62 and vastly prefer your awesomely toned AU58. It just has more pizzazz. Which isn't to say I don't appreciate white coins, too.

dwhiz and ddddd like this.
  19. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

This one. Sorry it's in a slab...

1795 C6.jpg

20. lordmarcovan

So are you an EAC-er, then? I often find it interesting how their strong traditionalist attitudes about slabs (and some other things) echoes the stance of ancient coin collectors in so many ways.

Mind you, I'm not criticizing - merely observing.

ddddd likes this.
  21. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I have only given away coins this year. Nothing sold. I’m very spoiled to not have to sell, or perhaps not so bright with my collecting methods, that I keep everything I pick up.

Draft saved Draft deleted