Coins that went goodbye (2020 version)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Dec 10, 2020.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

Penny Luster likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

A few of mine that found new homes are pictured below. :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NSP, spirityoda, MeowtheKitty and 2 others like this.
  4. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

I rarely sell any of my coins . This year I did sell approximately 45 "VAM's"
    that I lost interest in. With 99% of VAM's you have to a really really good
    magnifying glass. With VAM's all you are doing IMO is identifying a die pair.
    The "E" clash and O/CC's I sold were all attributed by ANACS. Complete sets
    of each per VAM 1st ed. The only one I kept was the 1878 VAM 44, triple
    blossom. Still have about 200 Morgans that I will sell through Great Collections
    next year.

Inspector43, Penny Luster and ddddd like this.
  5. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

If you're only keeping one, that's a good one to keep.

ddddd likes this.
  6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I like the toning on the Pan Pac.

ddddd likes this.
  7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I remember that Pan-Pac and the Russian!

I parted with several, as I often do (my collection is a bit of a revolving door), but the most noteworthy departure of the year is probably this piece, which sailed off to live with @Chris B.

(*I did get some cool stuff in return.)

Germany (Weimar Republic): specimen gold medal memorializing the schooner "Niobe" shipwreck, 1932
    [​IMG]
    PCGS SP66; population 1 with 1 higher as of August 2020.

8. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I like that pan pac too

ddddd and lordmarcovan like this.
  9. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

That pan pac is sweet

10. ddddd

ddddd Member

Thanks all! The Pan Pac was the nicest AU I've seen. While pricey, it did find a happy buyer during one of the times when I opened my box of 20 for general availability. I like the design (toned and untoned) so I can see picking up another example in the future.

lordmarcovan and spirityoda like this.
  11. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Have you stuck to a "box of 20" ??? Can you post a link to your current "box of 20" for all to see ? Thank you.

lordmarcovan, ddddd and kazuma78 like this.
  12. ddddd

ddddd Member

Sort of. :p
    I have a box of 20 as my main set; then I have 10-20 more coins that could move into the box of 20 (box of 21-40). And I also have some other sets. It's been that way for a while although I have cut back by selling some to get down closer to 20.

This is the most recent update (Oct 30); there have been no changes since that point.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ddddd’s-box-of-20-updated-version-3-0.369217/

lordmarcovan likes this.
  13. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Wow! An amazing set. I love toned coins too. The word envy comes to mind when I see your Hawaiian half dollar. Amazing coin. High value too right ?

14. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Could maybe do a box of 100 (current total count 1,500), but most of my coins are raw not slabbed. I have always liked lordmarcovan's box.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    ddddd likes this.
  15. ddddd

ddddd Member

The Hawaiian half is one of my favorites (it has a hint of pleasing toning and semi-pl surfaces). It's actually fairly affordable in AU 55. It cost me around 320 (fortunate auction win as I could see it going for more-in the $400s). When you get to UNC grades, that is when these tend to get pricey.

lordmarcovan and spirityoda like this.
  16. lordmarcovan

I think I'm going to pause for a while when I get to 100, and rename my collection "Lord Marcovan's Eclectic Hundred", rather than "Lord Marcovan's Eclectic Box Collection".

For one thing, they're in slab albums now, not a box anymore, and if I stop at a 100-coin limit, I will revert to the old "Box of 20" rules (except with 100 pieces as my limit instead of 20). In other words, for every coin that gets added, I will have to remove one.

Limiting your collection to a fixed number of coins is challenging, and it improves the individual coin quality over time, as you upgrade. But it's difficult to stick to, and requires some material detachment.

I figure since I was able to stick to a Box of 20 from 2013 to 2016, I can more easily stay with a Box of 100 for a little while- maybe two or three years- before entering another growth phase, perhaps.

But right now my Eclectic Box collection (formerly the "Eclectic Box of 20") is at only 84-85 pieces or so, so I've got a while before I hit 100 and begin another self-imposed size limitation.

spirityoda and ddddd like this.
  17. ddddd

ddddd Member

I like it!

The concept of a box of 20 is interesting, but strictly sticking to it is almost impossible. There are always raw coins, side sets, coins awaiting to be sold, coins that are hard to pass up buying, coins that one can't bring themselves to sell, etc.

spirityoda and lordmarcovan like this.
  18. lordmarcovan

Oh, even if I pause at 100 for awhile, I’ve still got side collections! ;)

I’m trying to limit myself to two “side sets”, though. One will be my little vestpocket swapstock “store”, and the other will be holed coins and love tokens.

My metal detector finds are a third side collection, but one I haven’t added to since my last successful dig outings in England in 2013. I haven’t done much detecting since, though I still have a couple of machines out in the shed.

ddddd likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted