Coins or Bullion Investing

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by icollectoldmoney, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Please let me know what a "wifes grandpal" is!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. icollectoldmoney

icollectoldmoney ANA Member:3192499

My wifes grand farther but I decided to keep all of tem

4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

OP, you are 19. What you need to invest in is yourself. Invest in some education or technical training. Other advice here you were given is fine, and I agree with it, but the bottom line is the absolute best investment a 19 year old is his own education. That will have the highest possible return of any other choices. Almost all of the money I now have to waste on coins or bullion is because I invested in myself, and job skills, when I was younger.

Cringely, Kentucky and philo like this.
  5. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

I agree, but it won't hurt to buy a few silver coins now and then also. I would get the most marketable education you can get and keep an eye on what's happening as well. I would get any kind of "junk silver" that is old. When you have a choice between pristine Kennedys and Walking Libs, go with the Walkers.

6. icollectoldmoney

I am working and getting training at the job I have now also trying to build up to have something to give to my kids when i decide to have kids.

7. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

I'd look for coins that would "tell a history". Perhaps a coin from a significant year. If you've inherited any coins, get the person who gave then to you to tell you some stories about where they came from so that you can pass them (and their history) to your children. They don't have to be key dates or mint state coins, the story behind them will give them their value.

8. icollectoldmoney

well thats good I am doing all the quater sets and kennedy half dollar sets now.

9. ASE2015

ASE2015 New Member

Sound advice! I would also add that most financial advisers will invest your money into the 'convential' markets. Great way to make money if you time it correctly! I think that it's good to diversify. Gold and silver are a good way to do so. When the markets take a plunge, if bubbles burst, or if hyper inflation kicks in, then your gold and silver will increase in value relative to your central bank's currency.

10. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

Trying to make money by market timing is inherently risky.
    Plot the S&P 500, gold and silver prices for the last century (preferably on a semi-log chart which illustrates % changes). Then figure out which ones require incredibly lucky market timing (for both up swings and drops) and calculate what the annual % change has been over your time period of choice. Finally, decide how long you are going to be in the market. Then decide where you want your money to be.
    If you want to see the effects of market timing, move your starting point 6 months at a time over a few year period.
    Yes, this sounds complicated, but it will illustrate the effects of market timing.

11. ASE2015

ASE2015 New Member

1 century is a relatively small amount of time, especially when you consider that the Federal Reserve has controlled the ENTIRE last 100 years. Some stackers plan on having the silver and gold in their families for longer than that. Much harder to pass down stocks...

Also, If the central bank gets audited (the bill has already passed the house and is getting more traction in the senate) and theft or shady practices are uncovered, how long would the FRN continue to be forced upon the population?

Draft saved Draft deleted