Coins gift from tibor...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by spirityoda, Dec 17, 2020.

1. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

@tibor had heard that I did not have any "hammered coins" so he mailed me 3 hammered coins. I got misty in my eyes. Thank you so much for being so generous. Yesterday marks the day my mother passed away last year and this gift from him really cheered me up. My crappy ancient flip phone takes terrible pics. Are these considered Medieval time frame coins ? I only have world coin catalogs up to the 17th century. I have a new appreciation for hammered coins now because of his coins gift.

Image12172020130603.jpg
    Image12172020130623.jpg
    Image12172020130629.jpg

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    Curtisimo, Finn235, DonnaML and 27 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Even from here (and I don't even have a flip phone --it'll have become an act of treason not to have one), those are really solid examples! Vicarious, but hearty thanks to @tibor. Only one I ever had was Ferdinand, also 1550's, making your other two coolly early.
    Two fun things about these. The rendering of the Madonna and Child can have a remarkable resemblance to contemporary woodcuts. But if you wanted, you could also get into the evolution of the heraldry on the reverse, with the shifting quarterings.

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

@tibor is a kind and generous soul, and sent me a hammered coin, too.

Be careful with those Hungarian denars. They can become habit-forming. ;)

Curtisimo, Railguy, PaulTudor and 5 others like this.
  5. impcaeaug

impcaeaug Member

Heh, I can see why.

6. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Cheap, silver, and centuries-old what isn't there to like?

7. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

,,very nice of @tibor ....:)

spirityoda and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  8. lordmarcovan

Exactly.

Sure, they're kind of common (at least as far as hammered silver goes), but I think they're quite underappreciated.

And the fact they're widely available keeps the price down, which is a good thing for anyone who wants to pursue a date set of them.

9. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Those are really cool!
    Kudos to @tibor !
    I do not have any hammered coins in my collection yet. I've been really interested in English hammered coins but they are way out of my budget. I don't know much about Hungarian hammered besides having seen them for sale on various sites.

I wouldn't consider the 1500's to be Medieval but I'm no historian so I don't know lol.
    Use that flip phone to get some closer pictures. I am sure I speak for others when I say I wanna see them out of the flips!

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  10. Bradley Trotter

It certainly isn't the prettiest, but it was quite budget-friendly, at least for me. I only ended up paying $20 for this particular coin despite the original price-tag.
    Edward III AR Penny_000001.jpg
    England
    Edward III 1327-1377 A.D
    AR Penny
    Obverse: EDWARDVS REX ANGLI, Crowned facing bust.
    Reverse: CIVITAS DVNELMIE, Cross with 3 pellets in each angle.
    Durham Mint
    Weight: 1.07g
    Pre-Treaty Period (1351-1361)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  11. lordmarcovan

I love $20-and-under stuff like that. "Can't beat it with a stick", as the saying goes down here in the Deep South.

12. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

...Also Much farther midwest than that.
    @Bradley Trotter, that's a relatively uncommon mint, too. At $20, Forget it.

13. Bradley Trotter

I certainly didn't know that when I bought it, I just wanted a piece of medieval English silver.

14. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

A nice gesture for sure !!

Q

spirityoda likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted