Coins From Egypt

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by pragmatic, Jun 26, 2017.

1. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

This modern Egyptian coin is one of my favorites.

It commemorates the third anniversary of the revolution which ousted the infamous King Farouk.

[​IMG]
    Egypt Pound 1955 - Third anniversary of Egyptian Revolution
    Gold, 23mm, 8.48gm, 0.8750 (21 carat)

The Egyptian Revolution began on July 23, 1952 when a group of army officers, led by Mohammed Naguib and Gamal Abdel Nasser, staged a military coup and forced King Farouk to abdicate and leave the country.

Among other things, King Farouk left behind a fabulous coin collection which was later sold by the new government.

This coin has an image of the Egyptian Pharaoh Rameses II (BC 1279-1213) riding a chariot; the image is taken from an Abu Simbel wall relief depicting the battle of Kadesh (around BC 1274).

It is interesting that the Egyptians put one Pharaoh on the coin commemorating the removal of another, but Rameses II was one of Egypt's greatest kings and Farouk was known for hanging out in nightclubs and grabbing what he could.

King Farouk did like to drive fast and once ended up in a hospital after a crash.

:)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Umm, wow. Gorgeous coin. (what gold isn't) :)

4. pragmatic

pragmatic Well-Known Member

The so-called revolution. It was military coup against the king. (...)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2017
  5. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

6. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

Thanks for starting this thread @pragmatic. I have never seen Egyptian coins before this thread and now I might just have to own one. Particularly the Sphynx coin.

pragmatic likes this.
  7. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

Some of my modern

image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg

8. pragmatic

pragmatic Well-Known Member

Facts :)

9. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

Another nice one
    IMG_20170709_091442.JPG IMG_20170709_091506.JPG

10. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Egyp_0030_Nb.jpg
    Ptolemaic Kingdom, Ptolemy V Epiphanos (204 - 180 BC)
    Bust of Cleopatra I as Isis right
    PTOLEMAIOY BASILEOS, Eagle left
    16.37 gr, 25 mm
    Ref : Sear # 7880

Q

11. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

Very nice Ptolemy V Cleo I as Isis. I've heard that recently the Egyptian Gov't is imposing restrictions as to the export of ancient coins.

Cucumbor likes this.
  12. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

And yet we do not discuss politics here. ;) I edited your previous post. Of course the line between "talking" about commems and the events they may honor is often a thin one, but we try and stay on the "coins side" of that line ...

Christian

13. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

Ptolemy V, AR Tetradrachm, 13.99g. 26mm. Phoenician mint

[​IMG]
    Ptolemy V (Epiphanes) became pharoah or king at the age of 5 and ruled Egypt from 204 to 181 BC. He is most noted for being the king involved in when Rosetta Stone was made (196 BC). The stone was erected after his coronation and was inscribed with a decree that established the divine cult of the new ruler. This was important as this was a very troubled time in Egyptian history and establishing the legal kingship was important after a regency or rule by administrators of the of the young king. The decline of Ptolemaic Egypt began in the previous reign.

In addition to making the Rosetta Stone, a further way of validating or cementing Ptolemy V's rule was the striking of portrait coins showing the young king himself on the large (14 gm tetradrachma) silver coins. Typically Egyptian coins of this era showed the portrait of the 1st Ptolemy or the portrait of his father Ptolemy IV. Additionally this coin is a rare variety showing Ptolemy V wearing a diadem (crown) decorated with a barley ear. The reverse features an Eagle with a thunderbolt and no control marks. David Michaels [verify] of Heritage wrote in 2016 that there were only 2 auction appearances in the past 15 years. This one appears to be one of the nicest surviving specimens.

province: Ex: Numismatic Fine Arts (Beverly Hills), Auction 16, New York, 1985, lot 292. Offered by Ed Waddell, July, 2017.

This fall I’ll be giving presentations to 6th grade classes on “Ancient History as Shown thru Coins” and I was looking for coins with historical linkages. Also I was specifically looking to improve my collection of Egyptian coins, hence this one fit the bill and is my 2nd Ptolemaic coin.

14. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Coins from Egypt? No, not anymore.

But I sent some coins to Egypt a little while ago. :)

@pragmatic - anything in your mailbox yet?

I finally found a picture of the Ottoman Zeri mahbub I used to have on my Holey Gold Hat.

But I think it's technically Turkish, not Egyptian?

AH 1203, regnal year 4 ... AH 1203 is about 1788 AD on the Gregorian calendar, yes? And Year 4 of the reign of Selim III would be what... about 1792-93 AD? Those are interesting years in US coins!

Anyway, I digress, since this is apparently Turkish and not Egyptian, but hey, they were both part of the Ottoman empire at the time, right?

[​IMG]

old49er, Johndoe2000$ and Theodosius like this.
  15. acanthite

acanthite ALIIS DIVES

Nice thread on Egyptian coinage, one of the areas I collect.

That is correct, the coin above was struck in Istambol, not Egypt. Below is an example of a gold zerimabub (color a bit washed out) that was struck in Egypt (Misr) honoring the Ottoman sultan Mahmud (1730-1754 AD). Frozen date of 1143 AH, 2.5g.
    EG_1143AH_zerimahbub.jpg

A later gold issue, this one a 100 qirsh for Sultan Abdul Aziz (1830-1876 AD). Dated 1277 AH, year 11 (about 1870 AD). 8.5g.
    EG_1277yr11_100qirsh.jpg

And a silver 20 para from 1255 AH, year 10 (about 1848 AD), honoring Sultan Abdulmecid.
    EG_1255yr10_20paraAR.jpg

old49er and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  16. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

Another modern one....

Attached Files:

Nas, chrisild and old49er like this.
  17. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

Great thread, I'm a big fan of Egyptian coins! ptolemy IV obv-horz.jpg cats-horz.jpg egytiancoins kingtutobv-horz.jpg egytiancoins1poundobv-horz.jpg egytiancoins2 obv4-horz.jpg egytiancoins2obv3-horz.jpg obv2-horz.jpg egytian coins 005.JPG cats.jpg

Steve66, Nas, chrisild and 2 others like this.
  18. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

A set of enameled coins with Egyptian theme...
    s-l400 (6).jpg
    s-l400 (76).jpg

Steve66 likes this.
  19. Martin Simmons

Martin Simmons New Member

Hi I found this coin in a market in Menorca. From my own research it seems to be an Egyptian hammered coin from AH 1204 (1789). It looks and feels like tarnished silver but it may be high silver content billion as it has a copper coloured hue. It's very thin and 20mm in diameter. All of my Internet searches for a matching coin have failed so any input from you guys would be greatly appreciated ☺

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3T7KKqXVyu4RWU1RDY2b25QQmc/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3T7KKqXVyu4UzZYZVNSV2ZScXM/view?usp=drivesdk

20. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Could be early Turkish Ottoman. I have one that looks quite similar. 17% silver.

21. Martin Simmons

Martin Simmons New Member

Thanks Kentucky, you seem to be "on the money" with this one as they say ☺

Kentucky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted