Coin storage in a fire proof safe

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Sallent, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I have a sentry fire proof safe with .80 cubic feet space, which is the only safe I have at the moment. I know fire safes produce moisture, but I've put two packs of silica desiccants which are good for 3 cubic feet each (excessive but better be safe than sorry). Would that be a safe way to get around the moisture issue until I can get a better safe? Do you think it would be safe to keep coins there with those precautions, or should I remove them immediately?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

How do they produce moisture?

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Remove them. I think there was a thread concerning this issue sometime this year. Members coins were all ruined! I will try to find the thread.

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

They actually retain moisture in the walls as part of the fire protection. Air out the safe every few days and you will be fine for short term storage.
    Edit to add. I'm wrong. Remove the coins.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  7. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

paddyman98 likes this.
  8. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Oh wow. Glad I asked. Coins were in there for less than 24 hours with the desiccant packs. Hopefully no real damage was done.

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Are all fire proof safes out of the question for collectible coin storage, or is this problem unique to Sentry safes?

10. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Sentry safes have been getting bad reviews for quite a few years. Staples has a return rate of 60% on the ones they carry. Mostly due to faulty/failing locking systems, ie. keyboard malfunctions, jamming bolts. First I have heard of the moisture problem. Thanks for the info. Me, I prefer Liberty safes.

11. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

I think a lot has to do with the overall environment where you live too. I don't know the science of it, and won't speak to anyone's collection outside of my own, but I bought and have kept my coins in a Sentry fire-proof safe for the past 15 years with no ill effects whatsoever. I live in the So-Cal desert with super low moisture levels and am in the safe almost daily, so those are presumably the predominant factors in the coins remaining "healthy". After hearing everyone's opposition to them, I will be changing my method of storage in time though.

paddyman98 likes this.
  12. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

I store all my ammo in Sentry safes BUT they are downstairs where I run a fancy dehumidifier - I have never had a problem.

tommyc03 likes this.
  13. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

YES - the smaller safes aren't air tight so if you keep them in a high humidity environment then guess what? You get moisture in there with no way to dry it out!! That's why the small ones are 55$

tommyc03 likes this.
  14. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

I have the same type of safe and they work just great

15. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I have been keeping my collection in a fireproof safe for years. Embarrassed to say they were in a garage for about 6 years, where it would get hot/cold. Now they are climate controlled. If moisture can get in, why can it not dry out? Also... I mainly have gold... is that pretty much ok no matter what?

16. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

If you actually have a fire in the storage area, all bets are off, as there are length of time of fire,max temp. of fire, how long to cool, and if the FD is hosing everything.

But everyone with a safe can store all coins and albums that are inside the safe in food grade zip lock bags, use two , one inside the other. Add a desiccant if you wish between the 2 bags. If the cement inside the walls release moisture, it will not get into the double bag. I use a lot of the 2 gallon size, but you can order them up to 10 gallon for larger objects.

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

But remember that in case of a fire the safe will help to protect the contents, but the plastic bags will most likely melt. Fire safes are typically designed to keep the inside temperature below the combustion point of paper, not the melting point of plastics. That goes for slabs as well.

18. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I should have specified better. In post 15, I was replying about an actual fire in the first paragraph, and the second paragraph was referring to general storage in reference to moisture and desiccants ( many of the previous posts). My apologies.

Draft saved Draft deleted