Disaster, need help please!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Flyliner, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Flyliner

Flyliner Member

I’ve had my small collection of handed down coins and bills stored in a small inexpensive safe. Recently I opened it and saw complete devastation. Everything that is metal has tarnished/rusted and molded, including some of the coins. See the attached pics.

Seems like all the paper money, gold, and silver bullion is fine (a few of the bills have warped like moisture got to them, but nosigns of mold that i can see). My gold coins are all fine, but the cases they are in have mold/hazy stuff on them. These sets wereall packaged in the 60s/70s, I’m guessing I will have to transfer into modern cases. All the gold/silver jewelry seems fine but theboxes have mold all over them.

The inside of the safe looks fine, I don’t see any leaks into the safe. It almost looks like the moisture came out of the coin sets themselves. I do live at the beach in a high humidity environment though, but I’ve kept desiccate in the safe. In another safe I use a Golden Rod to keep the safe warmer than the surrounding environment. Is there an equivalent for coin storage?

You can see from the pic of the Morgan that the staples have rusted but the coin looks fine. I had 3-ring binders in the safe andthose were completely destroyed. I threw them out. The pic of the “blue tarnished: coins are a comparative set, I don’t think theywere worth anything anyway. I’m more concerned about all the proof sets.

I’ve pulled everything out of the safe and put it out on a shelf.

I’m completely distressed about this, I don’t know what to do. Can these coins be saved? Maybe ultrasonic cleaning? Are thereany professional coin cleaners/restorers I can contact?

If anyone knows a reliable coin shop in Southern CA I’d appreciate the referral.

Any advice is appreciated.

IMG_3097.jpg IMG_3098.jpg IMG_3099.jpg IMG_3100.jpg IMG_3101.jpg IMG_3096.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I suspect your safe is a Sentry safe - right ? Well, that is the problem. Sentry safes are well known for this, they (Sentry) even publish a warning about with their safes.

Sadly, no. What's done is done and cannot be undone.

5. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

I'm so sorry...

6. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to see this. At least the Morgan still looks good even though its staples are rusted.

7. Flyliner

Flyliner Member

Yes, a Sentry safe. I can't believe this, absolutely ridiculous.

Can someone explain exactly what is the cause? What is it about the Sentry safes that cause this?

NOS likes this.
  8. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Fortunately, from a monetary standpoint, the items you posted that have corroded are inexpensive and easily replaced (although I'm not sure what the blue-crusted things are).

9. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

http://www.sentrysafe.com/pdfs/ownersmanuals/501393.pdf
    High-moisture insulation. Warning is on page 3 in the right column (or page 5 in French and page 7 in Spanish)

medjoy likes this.
  10. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

the insulation material; in the sentry safe is extremely cheap, although flame retardant it tends to also hold in moisture thus making a oven outta whateve you put in there

"
    WARNING
    DO NOT store delicate items directly
    in your product
    Sentry Safe products which offer fire protection have a
    patented insulation that has a high moisture content. If
    you choose to store delicate items such as jewelry with
    working parts, watches, stamps, or photos in your product,
    we recommend putting them in an air-tight container,
    prior to placing them in the product for storage".

GAME OVER

11. Flyliner

Flyliner Member

Sheesh. Guess I'm paying the price for not doing my homework. When I got all this I was new to coins/collecting and new nothing.

Good point, the sets with damage are all proof sets of my family members birth years. Suppose I will have to replace.

Question: I have removed everything from the safe. Will this stop the progress? Will this damage "infect" other coins now? How can I make sure the damage progress is stopped completely?

Can someone recommend me or point me to a good coin safe?

12. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Ive used a sentry safe for years and havent had this problem. But i open mine constantly and i store silica gel packets inside as well. Maybe try using that?

13. kaosleeroy108

as far as cleaning them use spray alcohol of 91% or better , if you cant get that use a cotton swab and everclear (keep away from fire), to clean packaging , baking soda and water to clean the blue and black gunk or alcohol..

14. kaosleeroy108

yes andy gun safe will; do i use a remmington , yes it will stop the progress, if the coins are removed and the packaging properly cared for yes it should not continue, discontinue the use of the safe...clean the coins and packaging asap

15. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

Moisture I guess, but some looks almost acidic damage.

Markus1959 likes this.
  16. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Man...I just want to cry for you!

17. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

I'd repurchase the sets and not tell anyone ;)

Sorry, just trying to keep it light because that is so horrible and I'm sorry to hear it. It does sound like you caught it before anything truly devastating occurred (like high dollar loss), not to diminish your losses already. Good thing you opened it sooner than later is what I'm saying.

I hope you're able to get things "fixed" if possible.

18. Flyliner

Flyliner Member

Do you use mean the alcohol for the packaging or the coins?

Thats what my thinking was. I'm starting to look for a new safe now. The Sentry is going to the desert to be introduced to my .308...

Does anyone know if a safe heater/Golden Rod is ok to use with coins/bills in the new safe?

Lol. The thought crossed my mind, but I'll have to come clean in the end..

NOS likes this.
  19. kaosleeroy108

20. kaosleeroy108

get rid of any packaging you can

21. Flyliner

Flyliner Member

Draft saved Draft deleted