Coin Storage-- Advice needed

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ycon, Jan 28, 2018.

1. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

My current coin storage system was set up when I was a kid with supplies from the local coin shop. I have a regular three ring binder with vinyl (eek) sheets, with all my coins (now) in pvc-free flips from Forvm.

I have a couple of questions: first, how much do I need to worry about the vinyl of the sheets when the coins are in pvc free flips?

I'd probably like to upgrade to some kind of storage box (in my dreams a mahogany cabinet, but I'm not sure I'm ready to shell out for that yet). I've started looking at various products and they all seem geared either to slaps or to other sorts of encased coins. Is it OK to store your coins in these raw? What do other people do?

I've also been wondering about tags in these sorts of cabinets. Do you have to worry about acid in the paper or ink affecting your coin if they're in direct contact? (say if you have the label right underneath the coin?)

Finally I'd really appreciate recommendations for specific products that people use and enjoy-- something not huge, not terribly expensive, but made with totally safe materials.

Psychotron likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Deacon Ray likes this.
  4. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

5. Johnnie Black

Johnnie Black Neither Gentleman Nor Scholar

Lighthouse makes some interesting trays that I’d like to see up close sometime. They are 2x2 with 20 spots per tray. The trays are about $30 each but stackable. Their protective snap fit holders would fit or you could just set the coin in the tray.
    E127825E-55F5-4056-9897-22377DE51B31.png
    A93A88BC-614B-4BE4-9868-CFBBB43C249B.png

6. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I have also used non-PVC flips inside vinyl pages, and have never had a problem. I've never been satisfied with the aesthetics of this arrangement, though.

I used to use trays exclusively, but as others have noted in the other threads, once a collection grows beyond a certain point they become impractical. They are too bulky for a safety deposit box, and also very expensive. (Or at least the nice ones are. The Lighthouse trays, in my experience, are too cheap, light, and plasticky... and still pretty expensive!)

So I've switched to these Presidio storage boxes, which are both attractive and capacious. They hold 2x2 double-pocket flips fine, over 150 even for thick ancients, and for most coins over 200. Not all flips fit comfortably, some are a bit too wide; I find Guardhouse unplasticized vinyl ones are good. The rigid cloth-covered dividers in the box mean that the flips sometimes don't slide as smoothly as you might like when you flip through them, but they also stay up when you want them to, without sliding all over the place.

When I want to show some coins to somebody, I pull the coins I want from the box, and put them directly in a Guardhouse tray, in their flips. They look great. (Again, only the Guardhouse flips fit reliably in the trays.) I have quite a few of these trays from a previous storage experiment. :rolleyes:

Overall this is the best balance of cost, looks, and practicality that I've found. (After trying a lot of different options!) Here are the manufacturers' images of the box, trays, and flips:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Daniel_R6

Daniel_R6 Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing. I’m yet to decide on a storage method, but these look like they could be a good solution.

Severus Alexander likes this.
  8. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I use a cigar box and paper envelopes - don't like plastic flips. I've got about 850 coins in my collection, currently have two cigar boxes, one full and one not full. Seems to work for me.

If I want to play with my coins I just remove them from the envelope. One day I'd like to get some kind of display case for the nicer ones.

9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I use 2x4 open Saflips in Albums so that I have the attributes for each side as I view the coin. 6 Saflips per page. Provenance captured in Saflip and/or customs and other provenance papers captured in a folder.

Album:
    - Desiccant Pages in front and back;
    - 6 slot open Saflips as 2 x 4;
    - Attributes on front and back in top pocket of Saflip;
    - Each page separated by 100 lb Archival card stock which gives a background, as well as "padding" between each album page.
    - Can flip page to see obv and rev. and attributes on both side for each coin;
    - Album slides into Archival safe Album Cover.

Perfect for my Home Safes as well as my Bank Safe. Easy to view, present, store.

Desiccant pages in books, desiccant packets in Safes.

upload_2018-1-29_19-31-18.png
    upload_2018-1-29_19-31-59.png
    upload_2018-1-29_19-32-30.png
    upload_2018-1-29_19-32-59.png
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/how-do-you-store-your-collection.290220/page-2#post-2634218

10. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I use same idea as Alegandron for my banknote/ coin collections. Albums are Lighthouse, that hold certified banknotes. For coins, 20 percent are slabbed (160 AV coins) rest 650 AV are safely stored in 2X2 Saflips, with 2 pockets/ one for coin/ second for data/auction labels. These are housed in Lighthouse Deluxe leather albums. john photos 1 030 (Medium).jpg john photos 1 035 (Medium).jpg john photos 1 007 (Large).jpg john photos 1 008 (Large).jpg john photos 1 009 (Large).jpg

11. SeptimusT

SeptimusT Well-Known Member

12. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I must be in the minority here, but I don't care for Saflips, or any of the PVC free flips. They are too stiff and brittle and it is difficult getting the coins out of them!

I prefer paper envelopes - they are traditional, practical, and economical. Plus, you don't have to worry about separate paper inserts, just write the attribution info on the envelopes. Additionally, you can store more of them in a coin box than you can when using flips.

Some folks object to paper envelopes because you can't see the coins. Well, envelopes encourage you to get the coins out of their holders and to play with them more. Besides, I don't want to view my coins through plastic anyway.

Alegandron and red_spork like this.
  13. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

I do as well for the same reason. With thicker coins like early RR bronzes SAFLIPs break very quickly but I had problems with them splitting and my denarii falling out as well. I've had no such problem with paper envelopes.

ycon and David Atherton like this.
  14. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

The Guardhouse flips pictured in my post above are very strong and rarely break. They are a bit stiff though, which can be problematic for extremely thick coins. Maybe I should put those few in paper...

ycon likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted