Coin quality question from 1st time gold investor

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by doehl1, May 28, 2015.

1. doehl1

doehl1 New Member

Hi,

I just received my first ever gold coin shipment from APMEX and am not sure about the quality that I paid for. I bought 2015 brilliant uncirculated gold eagle coins, but the eagle side of each the coins has a circular discontinuity that I wasn't expecting. I would have expected and even tone throughout the entire coin. What do you all think? At first I thought it was condensation on the coin, but all 10 of them have this, nearly identical discontinuity on the tone. My primary purpose is just for gold bullion investing, not really numismatic. But I was a little disappointed since this was my first ever coin purchase. Is this typical of new gold coins? Will it affect value? Worth it to send them back? See attached photos.

Attached Files:

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Its from the manufacturing process sir. Nothing unusual at all. Most of these I see look the same.

swamp yankee and Gilbert like this.
  4. Sean the Coin Collector

Sean the Coin Collector Active Member

i am not positive what caused it but i would not keep them, the little numismatic value they have is totally ruined by those spots!! I would have them sent back and replaced ASAP !! I would personally be angry, i have heard a lot of bad stories lately about buying from the mint!

swamp yankee likes this.
  5. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

For bullion purposes gold is gold, no harm to the value.

swamp yankee likes this.
  6. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

I'd agree that it's normal. However if you want higher quality bullion only eagles and are buying the 1 oz variety I've noticed that the ones the mint itself sells 1 oz uncirculated tend to be better examples than the bulk bullion ones out there. I'm not sure if the mint keeps the best ones for itself or what but just an observation. Although you end up paying more for them so it's a trade off. You could also buy the gold buffalos or proof gold eagles if you wanted quality as these are one product the mint seems to keep quality high on; albeit probably because they don't want expensive returns lol.

JimOfOakCreek and swamp yankee like this.
  7. Sean the Coin Collector

Sean the Coin Collector Active Member

Mine don't have that strange ring in the center ??

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

ditto, no biggie

you are buying bullion, not a collectible coin

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@doehl1

You are buying a coin that is given a generic grade of BU. It's not Gem BU, nor is it a coin deemed to be perfect. This is a common classification assigned to coins that would not grade high and be worth certifying.

APMEX is not trying to mislead you. You got what you paid for. If you want to send them back hoping for better specimens, that is your privilege, but it is probable that the replacements won't be much better.

Chris

10. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Exactly, you should be more concerned about the gold price than the possible grade of a bullion coin. You could also get into old US gold and have it all: 90% gold and collectible coins :)

11. doehl1

doehl1 New Member

Thanks Treashunt for the comment. Wasn't really 100% sure what I should have be concerned about as a first time buyer, but the feedback on this post has been valuable. Gotta start somewhere...

swamp yankee likes this.
  12. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Of course sir. That is why old timers like us are here, to help out new collectors/investors.

swamp yankee likes this.
  13. westcoasting

westcoasting Active Member

Yup. That's what I received also. Reading the customer reviews, there were a few comments about this for the 2014 & 2015. Someone said it's because they don't replace the die sooner. They said it was worse for Silver Eagles. While disappointing to see this kind of quality, it still is 100% BU "bullion". The obverse is flawless though.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
    swamp yankee likes this.
  14. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Wow, your first gold coin buy is 10 ozs!! Dang, thems some deep pockets around my ghetto. thumb.gif My first gold coin buy was a dos pesos coin. laughhard.gif For security reasons don't let anybody know, oh no too late. laughhard.gif Well anyways, don't let too many friends and neighbors know. Hate to hear about somebody getting ripped off. Don't worry about the condensation spot, it's not like they're collector coins. thumb.gif

swamp yankee likes this.
  15. HardTruths

HardTruths Member

Call me crazy but I actually think it adds to the coin. It kind of looks like the sun is trying to come out behind the eagles after a storm. Hey, there you go.. Call them the "Storm Eagles". At the very least they are different from all the others that basically look the same. Heck, I'd buy one off you.

swamp yankee likes this.
  16. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

A typical AGE. If you want one that is "perfect" buy one graded PCGS or NGC MS 70.

swamp yankee and Kentucky like this.
  17. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Yes, there are companies that will supply exactly what you want...at a cost. Other option is to ask for replacements and take your chance.

swamp yankee likes this.
  18. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

APMEX and MCM will sometimes sell "defective" coins as bullion that might only grade MS65-67. Even if you don't buy it as a numismatic investment, it should still look good and any imperfections should not be THAT glaring.

For another $50-$100 you can get an MS69 or MS70.

Draft saved Draft deleted