coin investment choices?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Rono, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Clembo:
    "and might I add the 15-S. Tough to locate as well as the 1909-O."

Nice, it is obvious that you know what you are talking about. The 1915 S quarter is a tough coin, as is the 09 O, especially original pieces.

Also, the 1897 S, especially the centered mintmark-- very tough!

Still searching for a 1892 O micro O half, but still like the 92 O & S even at these prices.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aberlight

Aberlight New Member

I completely agree. There are many stocks that I would feel safer with than coins. Collect coins as hobby. If I make money someday....great. But I will leave the investing in true assets and not collectibles.....except my beanie baby collection.

4. Rono

Rono Senior Member

Hi clembo,

Thanks for the suggestions. I've read most and am still reading Travis and Bowers and everything I can get my hands on. I'm more of a collector than an investor, but more of an investor than a speculator. With bullion, for example, having 3-5% is an investment . . . having more is speculation.

Anyway, I like your picks - particularly the V nickels. The 12-s is great and even higher grade 12-d have some room to run. I picked up an XF 1864L IHC back a year or so and it's been a great coin.

In my case, I'm not looking to turn around a quick buck, but hold for the longer term as a solid store of wealth. At the same time, I'll probably increase my annual mint purchases to include the gold stuff which heretofore has been out of my price range. The anniversary sets were an easy pick and I bought 5 of the silver set and 10 of the burnished SAE's. So I'll always take advantage of a good deal. However, with mint stuff, I just try to buy a few of most everything and don't normally try to guess the aftermarket.

Key coins are easier but sleepers take a lot more knowledge. And that is what I'm seeking.

thanks,

rono

5. Treashunt

rono:
    There are a great many sleepers, in just about every series.
    Although not cheap, I still think that the 1922 (plain) Lincoln cent in VF or better is still a great deal.

6. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Are you talking about the Half Dollar or quarter? A few years ago I got an AG/G 1897-S Half Dollar for about $2!

Speedy

7. Treashunt

Wow! That was some deal!
    But, I am talking about the quarter.
    The normal position is to the right, above the D.
    The scarcer variety is the centered mint mark.

8. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Ah....Well I'll keep my eyes open.

Speedy

9. ajbuckle

ajbuckle New Member

I'm with Andrew289. The gold bug can bite pretty hard.

Draft saved Draft deleted