Coin ID help needed, small European silver pieces

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Hus.thaler, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Hus.thaler

Hus.thaler Well-Known Member

(Post 1 of 2, plea for help.)

Hello Numis-experts,

It is time I asked for help. These ones just keep getting shuffled around, awaiting attribution, but I have not been able to figure them out. Any assistance would be appreciated, but some may be too far gone to properly identify. These were all in a bulk batch of European coins, approximately 75% of which were German States minors.

20180723_222026.jpg 20180723_222125.jpg
    Here is what I know:

Top left: Titles of John V (?) 23.27mm
    Top right: Looks like a Prussian eagle, looks like 179? date, 3 Kreuzer, "S" mint mark ~16.6mm
    Bottom left: Madonna & child, ~14.6mm
    Bottom right: Looks like 16Z8 date, with "Carolus.." titles. Pretty worn, ~22.8mm

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hus.thaler

(Post 2 of 2)

I feel like I should be able to find this one, but it eludes me:

20180723_222147.jpg 20180723_222201.jpg

What I know:
    1796 date, Sol 20 on reverse. Looks like low-grade silver or billon to me, but might be bronze. 25.80mm

4. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

type in google "1796 sol 20" (but without the quotes)and look at images. Tell me what you see.

Hus.thaler likes this.
  5. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

It's Sardinian 20 soldi and you are correct it's billon. Very common coin. Not much value in that condition. 20 soldi would be like our 20 cents. When I was a boy I remember my old Italian relatives still calling small denomination coins "soldi" and scudo/scudi for dollars.

Hus.thaler likes this.
  6. Hus.thaler

Thank you Kasia and Serafino. I kept trying to make that coin French, and my 18th cent. Krause does not have a pic for the issue. Much appreciated.

7. Hus.thaler

At this point, I do not really care what they are worth (and am under no illusion that any of them are worth more than a happy meal). I may try to sell them, but it is more about the struggle with these coins to pin them down. If you can't name a thing, do you really understand it?

8. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

The coin is from the Piemonte region of Northern Italy which is close to France. The Piemontese dialet sounds like French. If I remember right the coin was minted in Torino/Turin

9. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Top left: Portugal 6 vintens (120 reis) 1706-1750
    Bottom left: Austria denar 1528-1559
    Top right: Brandenburg-Ansbach-Bayreuth 3 kreuzer 1794-95 (yours is 1794)
    Bottom right: Saxony 1/24 thaler 1614-1655

Hus.thaler and Oldhoopster like this.
  10. Hus.thaler

Thank you!

11. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I posted a thread on those Hungarian denars like the one at bottom left. There's a link to a free e-book about them in my post.

Draft saved Draft deleted