Coin collecting jargon and acronym document?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GTeachman, May 25, 2018.

1. GTeachman

GTeachman New Member

Hello,

I've only recently expanded my coin collecting education to forums like this. One of the things that I struggle with is the use of acronyms and jargon that I see on this site and in other coin collecting venues. I was wondering if instead of posting a note asking what the jargon or acronym used in a post means that there was a document or even a web site that lists all de-acronymizing acronyms like CT (altho, I have figured that one out), BIE, CUD, DD, etc. And, jargon, like Hole Filling, etc.?

Thanks,
    George

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

LA_Geezer, Santinidollar and DEA like this.
  4. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

5. lordmarcovan

It'll be a big undertaking! Nudge me later, if I haven't yet gotten around to it. ;)

Now that the moderator toolkit allows me infinite editing, it's a feasible project. With expiring edits, it would be hard to keep it up to date.

So I reckon I'm the fella to do it here ... when I can.

6. lordmarcovan

7. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Note the link at the very top of that 14 y/o list. ;)

Christian

lordmarcovan likes this.
  8. lordmarcovan

Ah. Excellent. I overlooked that in my quick linkage.

@geekpryde did it right.

Now maybe I'm off the hook for that chore. ;)

9. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Hehe. :) Maybe it would make sense to move geekpryde's list to the FAQ section too?

Christian

10. lordmarcovan

Done.

chrisild likes this.
  11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Bad idea - here's why. Over the years a lot of folks have bookmarked that page, that list created by geekpryde. And there are also several other threads that contained a link to that list. And by moving it like you did - you just made all those bookmarks and links no good anymore. So, I undid what you did and put it back where it was.

What you were trying to do was be helpful because it sounded like a good idea, and you're to be commended for that. But, you forgot the law of unintended consequences.

Anyway, this is why we don't move threads and posts around. Moving a new post or a new thread because it needs to be moved or because the OP asked that it be moved - is one thing, and that is OK to do. Nobody will have had time yet to create bookmarks or place links to those posts/threads in other threads so nothing will be lost of harmed by moving it. But once a post of thread has been someplace for a while, even a few days - it needs to stay there.

And I'm posting this here not to correct you, that is not my intention at all. I'm posting it here so everybody else will understand why things should not and cannot be moved around just because it sounds like a good idea.

I would also point out that a link and a note to geekpryde's thread is already provided in the thread started by National Dealer all those years ago. So anybody and everybody can already access it in the FAQ section. Doing it that way keeps everything in 1 place.

12. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

What does "IIRC" mean?...I keep seeing it show up in posts...Spark

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If I recall correctly IIRC = If I Recall Correctly

Spark1951 likes this.
  14. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Doug, you may have a point there. ;) Not sure whether merely moving a topic would actually render links obsolete (the topic title and number would still be the same, right?), but the link from the older list to the newer one will do the job.

Interesting, by the way, that "CUD" is actually listed as an acronym, hehe.

Christian

15. lordmarcovan

I thought I left a permanent redirect, but excellent point about the law of unintended consequences.

16. JayF

JayF Active Member

How is that forum like? Is it easier on the newbs or pretty much the same as here ? I'm going to check it out.

17. GDJMSP

It does, I've tested it.

I've tested that too - it doesn't work, all previous links (and bookmarks) return an error.

I also suspect that moving threads/posts would render stored search engine results into dead links as well.

The best way to do what you were trying to do, is to simply make a new post in the thread you want to add info to, and have your post contain a link to the thread or post you want to include. Or, do what Chris did 3 years ago, and edit the destination post/thread and add a link to the one you want to include.

Doing either one leaves everything in its original location and doesn't screw anything up.

chrisild likes this.
  18. GDJMSP

By all means do, but what you'll find out is that it is much, much worse than it is here. At least in the way you're talking about.

JayF likes this.
  19. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

CU is a fun site with a lot of great members, just like here. It can be tough on new folks but not much different than here. Be sure to read the rules there.

20. GDJMSP

I readily agree with the first part of your comment Larry, but if the 2nd part is true now, then it's sure changed a lot from what it used to be.

21. lordmarcovan

CU is a great site or I wouldn't have spent 16 years there. It really formed the largest part of my numismatic education, when you get right down to it.

It can, however, be rather elitist at times, and is not always newbie-friendly. That site is where most of the "big boys" in US numismatics hang out- the uber-wealthy collectors, the numismatic authors, so on. I'm not suggesting that the big boys are always the less-friendly ones- there are hundreds of kind and helpful people there (big fish included) - but the culture is just different, is all.

It's a place for folks who already have some numismatic experience, not a place for "this 1978 penny looks funny" kinda threads.

dwhiz likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted