Coin Care Chemical

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by BadThad, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

I have used olive oil to soak dug copper coins in. I had a AU details Indian head cent that was covered in green. Olive oil took most of that off and left a beautiful dark green patina on it. Then I washed all the old oil off with soap and rinsed with water.

I had that coin over a year, and did not notice any changes whatsoever.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

Yes.

4. Doc H

Doc H New Member

BadThad, Do you think Isopropyl Alcohol would have any effect, positive or negative, for removal of oils on a coin?

serafino likes this.
  5. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

Sure glad this old thread was brought back to life. It's very informative.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    Kelly Capone likes this.
  6. Kelly Capone

Kelly Capone Well-Known Member

That's what I'm learning from reading this thread. It seems to be just a way to stop further damage to a coin you just want to keep, not a nice one.

7. Kelly Capone

I sometimes use a silver polish cloth on coins to clean them. Is this wrong? I only do it to coins I just like, not ones I know are special or really old.

8. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Kelly Capone, posted: "I sometimes use a silver polish cloth on coins to clean them. Is this wrong? I only do it to coins I just like, not ones I know are special or really old."

I see dozens of coins every day that have been "ruined" by folks who just like them. :(

Kelly Capone and serafino like this.
  9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

It's wrong. Silver polish cloth is abrasive. It leaves fine scratches on the coin, whether or not you can see them, and most collectors consider such coins "ruined". If you do it to a rare or old coin, you will greatly decrease the value you can get when selling the coin. Even if you keep the coin for the rest of your life, you've damaged it for whoever gets it after you're gone.

General advice: don't ever clean coins. Somewhat more specific advice: don't ever rub coins, or dip them in any kind of acid or "polish". There are exceptions, but there's a lot to learn before you can take advantage of them.

Kelly Capone likes this.
  10. Kurisu

Kurisu Well-Known Member

Side note: My Dad is a PHD Chemist (specifically he was a research chemist for the biggest detergent company on planet Earth at the time, Unilever) yes really...many years ago he told me for even better and safer surface cleaning of coins...Xylenes.
    More powerful and safer than acetone but I only use it very rarely and with VERY good reason...like when I had old dried motor oil or grease all over a rare error coin from an old roll.
    It's no joke though, smells like Amyl Nitrate on steroids so ventilation is important or it will scramble your brains! :bored:

EDIT: Also, just noticed @BadThad mentioned xylene for removing oils...Thumbs up to that :)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    Kelly Capone and serafino like this.
  11. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

More coin collectors need to know about Xylene and that it's better than Acetone for copper coins.

Kelly Capone likes this.
  12. Kelly Capone

Ok, Insider, I'm new to this and asking a question to learn.

13. Kelly Capone

So, I should clean them with Xylene then? Thank you. :)

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Howdy Kelly -

Simple answer, if they're copper coins - yes. Please read this thread, the whole thing, but in particular the parts I posted. It will answer many if not all of your questions.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/proper-acetone-procedure.193708/

If you still have any questions after reading that, feel to ask me anytime.

Kelly Capone and Kurisu like this.
  15. Colonialjohn

Colonialjohn Active Member

I developed a cleaning process and would welcome some challenge coins. LOL However, I do ask for a photo as you can not obviously REVERSE surface corrosion or sulfide spots. Recently incorporated ultrasonic cleaning into the MIX. The easist way is for GDJMSP to send me five $10 coins. He can then post BEFORE/AFTER photos. Then we can stop this merry-go-round ... <VVBG>.

John Lorenzo
    Numismatist
    United States

edited

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2021
    serafino likes this.
  16. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on that John :D

17. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Colonialjohn, posted: "I developed a cleaning process and would welcome some challenge coins. LOL However, I do ask for a photo as you can not obviously REVERSE surface corrosion or sulfide spots. Recently incorporated ultrasonic cleaning into the MIX. The easist way is for GDJMSP to send me five $10 coins. He can then post BEFORE/AFTER photos. Then we can stop this merry-go-round …" edited

In the 1980's, I visited a "boiler factory" that was part of a Federal Court case. They were accused of selling over graded coins. They had a room with two ultrasonic machines and EVERY Morgan dollar was dipped using them. That's where I first learned the difference between the pro's and the rest of us.

It should be obvious to anyone ;) that chemicals can reach deeper and quicker into a coin's surface using an ultrasonic bath. They are also neutralized better. A large Branson 4 beaker, heated ultrasonic cleaner was one of the first things we ordered at the first TPGS conservation division. I use a newer model at ICG's conservation servace.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2021
    serafino, -jeffB and MIGuy like this.
  18. charley

charley Well-Known Member

i think the resurrection of the famous (or infamous) taco bell on the widow sill coin experiment would add a lot to the conversation. ;)

19. charley

charley Well-Known Member

yikes. i am getting old. that should have been taco bell napkin wrapped coin on the window sill experiment. sorry for confusing the reader.

20. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

I've learned that ketchup, lighter fluid and a scouring pad will make all my silver coins beautiful! (or.... maybe I'll just pay ICG $5 to do it professionally on my submissions, yeah, on second thought I'll save the ketchup for my steak) ;)

Kelly Capone likes this.
  21. Kelly Capone

Thank you. I never been sure of what to do. I've only polished about four because of this. Thanks for the site.

Draft saved Draft deleted