Coin #5 - Guess the CTer 2021

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Mar 5, 2021.

Tags:
?

Comment below to play. Use the poll just for fun.

Poll closed Mar 8, 2021.
  1. Parthicus

58.3%
  2. Curtisimo

8.3%
  3. Cucumbor

4.2%
  4. bcuda

20.8%
  5. Theodosius

8.3%
  1. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LOL, NICE JOB! In Lean / Cell Manufacturing we called it its actual Japanese word: "MUDA"
    I always akin it to the Angelo-Saxon word for feces... :)

Sulla80 and Curtisimo like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Right or wrong your confidence is both admirable and impressive. :rolleyes::D

This is a good point to reiterate my gratitude to both you and @Theodosius for volunteering to offer prizes for the game as well as being a big part of what makes the game fun with your witty responses and fun comments.

Thanks again guys!!

4. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

That has got to be one of the more interesting ways that an ancient coin has been found. Pretty cool!

Glad you have enjoyed the game Bradley. The good thing about the game is that you don't have to get all the answers correct to have a good chance of winning one of the prizes. Since you have consistently guessed with good reasons and posted coins to the threads you've earned plenty of chances to win. I am looking forward to the drawing and to revealing the coin owners once this round closes!

5. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Yeah. And I'm pretty sure someone with all the answers wrong would still have a chance to win a prize. @Curtisimo is a fricken magician !!!

Q

6. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Exactly correct! In fact, the way the game is set up giving the right answer is less important than giving a good answer. For example:

If Poster #1 posts "I think this coin is [insert correct answer] because why not" this is a perfectly valid guess because there is a post and a reason. This post would earn 2 chances ~ 1 for posting and 1 for being correct.

If Poster #2 guesses the incorrect answer but gives a well thought out or witty reason and posts a photo then this poster would earn 3 chances to win ~ 1 for posting, 1 for the well thought out or witty guess and 1 for posting a coin.

In the above example Poster #2 is more likely to win one of the prizes. You could get all 5 wrong and still win a prize. Plus your chances reset every round so there is no reason not to guess even if you have missed previous rounds. :)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  7. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Considering how competitive auctions for ancient coins have been in recent months, I figured I'd have a better chance of winning a random drawing like this one. Regardless, I'd like to thank you all once again for the opportunity to participate in this contest.

8. IMP Shogun

IMP Shogun Well-Known Member

That's an interesting reverse.

I based my pick on the sheer volume of discussion referencing Mithradates.

And it wasn't by this guy:
    [​IMG]

This has been fun, thanks for doing it!

9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I have to vote @Parthicus for this one. And seeing that I have a conflict in my earlier guesses, I'll be changing my #2 to @Curtisimo!

Now, like the coin below says, "Game over!"

Pontos Amisos - AE31 Headless Medusa 2482.jpg PONTOS, Amisos
    AE31. 19.47g, 31.1mm. PONTOS, Amisos. Struck under Mithradates VI, circa 105-85 BC. HGC 7, 238; SNG BM Black Sea 1169. O: Head of Athena in Attic helmet right. R: AMI-ΣOY, Perseus standing facing, holding harpa and head of Medusa, corpse at feet gushing blood from neck stump; monogram to left and right.

10. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

PARTHICUS!
    Because when he sent me coins, he sent a whole range of them. Roman, Greek, Chinese, and Parthian, of course. So, I can see Coin No. 5 being part of his collection, especially coins he obtained early on. (and because he is my last CTer to select).

Here is a photograph of a coin that Parthicus sent to me in that group that I was to attribute:

IMG_3649.jpg
    IMG_3650.jpg

Somehow I misplaced the attribution, so I had to do it again now quickly. I think this is correct, @Parthicus.

Song Dynasty - Emperor Tai Zu (960-976). 23.5 mm - 3.8 g. Bronze

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  11. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Looks like a lot of people are assigning this coin to me by default. As my idol Homer Simpson said, "De-fault! The two sweetest words in the English language!"
    So, most people resisted assigning me to the beautiful Sicilian AR tetradrachm and EL 50 litrae, despite my affinity for Sicilian history and coins? So you're saying I'm a slob who can't afford high-quality coins? ;)
    Hmm, let's see, what else to convince people that #5 is not my coin? Well, Mithradates VI, as his name implies, claimed Persian descent, so... Wait, that's the opposite of helpful to my case. :oops: Note to self: Delete this paragraph before posting.
    @LaCointessa : You are correct in your ID of the Chinese cash, unfortunately the heavily worn (scraped-off?) reverse prevents assigning an exact Hartill number. I'm happy you still remember my little gesture from a few years ago. :happy:

12. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

I suspect this phrase may not have been the first in mind to describe our esteemed CT member. And I will share a coin that recently attracted my interest...
    upload_2021-3-7_9-15-0.png
    China, Eastern Turkistan (Uyghuristan/Xinjiang), Qiuzi (Kucha), Wu Zhu cash (0.34g, 10mm)
    I am unsure what time period to assign this coin. These coins were from Xinjiang in the Kucha area. Qiuzi was one of the numerous states in the west, and was located in the Kucha region. The Qiuzi had their own language and alphabet (Kharoshthi). Hartill describes 10.31 "Small coins with no characters" as "traditionally ascribed to Dong-Zhuo who in 190 usurped the throne and melted down nine huge Qin Dynasty statues to make coins. Could well have been cast by others unofficially." Others have assigned this coin to 5th - 8th century in this same region - I am not sure that any more precise attribution is possible for this coin.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  13. svessien

svessien Senior Member

I believe this is from the collection of @Parthicus. Reason: This was the coin that started his transition into becoming the Silent Druid of the Near East.

A Parthian coin will do well here, I think.

Parth1.jpg

14. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

One of the reasons I think it’s fun to have well known members be the volunteers in the game is that many of us develop a familiarity with the collecting style of members who post a lot. Of the volunteers this year I would say that 2 are generalists and 3 have a more focused main interest. It is fun to see how guessing trends react to not seeing what is expected. There have not been any Iberian or eastern empires coins from the volunteers... how to deal with this... :nailbiting:

I will say that I think all of the submissions from the volunteers this year have been very smart plays with a good mix of tricky misdirection and subtle hinting. :D

Another big thanks to you and all of our volunteers. This has been a fun iteration of the game.

15. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

make-the-right-choice-tract1.jpg

I can say that I have not posted over half of my collection.
    That being said I usually post up what I normally like but not always. I have Greek, Roman , Chinese, Celt/ Iberian, Indian, Almohade, and many U.S. and World coins. I also have some good quality coins I have never posted. So I kind of got the hint from the votes as like @Parthicus metioned ( So you're saying I'm a slob who can't afford high-quality coins? ;) ).

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  16. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

5E0C1B83-5780-4C82-842C-4A0167D63B34.jpeg

17. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Thanks again @Curtisimo and everyone!! Can't wait to find out which CoinTalker owns which coin! This was, and continues to be, a great deal of fun.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    Theodosius, Sulla80 and Curtisimo like this.
  18. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

This has to be @Parthicus! As his name says, he usually prefers Rome's even more eastern foes. Yet, Mithridates VI still is from "the east" and if anyone ever deserved the title "enemy of Rome," it's him. Also, there was a Parthian ruler of the same name.

Here is my example of the type, which I bought from Ken Dorney back in the day when coin shows were still possible...
    Griechen – Pontos, Amisos, AE, Aegis und Nike.png
    Pontos, Amisos (Kingdom of Pontos under Mithridates VI Eupator), AE 21, ca. 105–85 BC. Obv: Gorgoneion in aegis. Rev: [A]MI-ΣΟ[Υ]; Nike advancing r. with palm branch; in fields, monograms. 21mm, 7.40g. Ref: SNG BM Black Sea 1177–1191.

Sulla80, Theodosius, Ryro and 8 others like this.
  19. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

My vote is for @Parthicus because he seems like a cool dude that would appreciate a sunflower.

When I see the obverse, I think of the baby in the Teletubby sun. Man, that was a great show.

Here is my Thrace hemidrachm with my bearded dragon, Herbert, who is about to go and eat some sunflower greens.

Fo9GYQj63rEqZ7rpfAJ58yxY4wW2zB.jpg IMG_5645.jpg

Erin

Sulla80, Theodosius, zumbly and 9 others like this.
  20. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LOL, LOVE that pic!

21. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

That's absolutely the best non-coin-related thing I've seen here on Cointalk in quite a while.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    LaCointessa and Johndakerftw like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted