COA vs non COA

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by temmy24k, Feb 24, 2009.

1. temmy24k

temmy24k Junior Member

what's your opinion about coins w/ COA or w/o COA ? will you give the same value/price with them ?

in this case we talk about gold or silver coins for investing i think

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BigsWick

BigsWick Rat Powered

I once heard COAs described as worthless pieces of paper. I think that is true in a lot of cases. For example, many of the ones that come with coins purchased off of TV shows or from the various "mints" (not THE US Mint) are pretty generic, only stating that the seller guarantees the coin, whatever it is, to be authentic. Sometimes the COA doesn't give the denomination of the coin, and it certainly doesn't get specific enough to give the date and mintmark. Call me jaded, but I've often felt that they do this to make a buyer feel more at ease with his purchase yet at the same time giving them a way to avoid any type of claim against them for selling a counterfeit coin, or even one that was misgraded. The COA is too non specific for a reason. Moreover, I've seen many of the same COAs used for multiple series and multiple denominations of coins too, both silver and gold.

The best thing for you to do is to become very familiar with whatever it is you are collecting. A COA is a COA. It isn't going to tell you that the coin looks right, feels right, weighs properly, grades correctly, and so forth.

4. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

i rather have a coin with original c.o.a. and other things attached to it. even if the c.o.a. is nothing important. it look complete. beside having c.o.a. is proving that person is well taking care of that coin.

5. FreakyGarrettC

FreakyGarrettC Wise young snail

My exact feelings.

6. Andrew67

Andrew67 Clueless

I agree. G shouldn't you be in bed getting better. :kewl:

7. temmy24k

temmy24k Junior Member

thank's for your all opinion ^____^

8. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

i wont buy any modern commems without the packaging as it comes from the mint. It may be worthless paper as someone said :) but its part of the presentation imho.

9. Yorkazuna

Yorkazuna Junior Member

Elaine is exactly correct.I sell a whole lot of commemoratives (well over 3300 ebay transactions and countless sales aside from ebay) and I can say that a COA along with all mint issued packaging is key to getting top price for these types of issues due to the fact that having them in good condition shows how they have been cared for.
    On other items such as say Spanish Pillar and bust dollars,because so many have been faked over the years,a COA from a respected expert gives buyers the piece of mind they need to be confident about a purchase.

10. FreakyGarrettC

FreakyGarrettC Wise young snail

I have a laptop. :D

11. elaine 1970

we were stick it to a complete set no matter what?. in the future. the price list of every catalog or newsletter will separate the complete coin set with c.o.a. and its original box and document, ads, sleeves, cover, statistic sheet and etc. with that of a single coin. and that complete set should be clean, no dent, no damage, no dirt, no scratch, no sticker and writing,. simply to said. it is just like coming directly from the u.s. mint. and i can said i got almost 3,000 set with the above that i have mentioned. only that i got without and or incomplete were the 1982 washington 1/2 dollar, 1984 olympic dollar, 1986 liberty dollar, 1987 constitution dollar. but those modern commemoratives cost me around $6.00 each.

12. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

If you are going to pay full price for a modern commemorative, you should get all of the packaging or paperwork. If you are buying anything for close to melt value, or any coin that isn't a modern commem, it makes no difference.

13. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I agree, I discount US mint items when buying them if they do not have COA's or boxes because the people who buy them from me then discount them when they buy them from me for the same reason.

As far as other stuff is concerned... the COA's are usually there to add an semblance of value to something that may not have any.... another sales pitch or selling point IMO.

14. Yorkazuna

Yorkazuna Junior Member

True unless you are talking about a COA on a particular coin from a noted and industry respected expert.COAs provided by marketing companies printed like wall paper are certainly not included in my earlier comment.-lol

15. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

The US Mint learned long ago that if they produce coins with mintage limits to create artificial scarcity and package them nicely, the market treats them as valuable. I occasionally find a silver commem in an antique shop or elsewhere without any packaging selling for about melt value. It is usually a coin in average MS condition. That's about the only time I buy them. However, many gold commems sell for melt value in MS69 holders from reputable TPGs. That's one of my favorite buys.:thumb:

16. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

COA, non COA, ABC, non ABC, DEIFG

COA, non COA, ABC, non ABC, DEIFG??????????
    With this little sticker and $2 you can get a pretty good cup of coffee or a lottery ticket - both with be worth more that any sticker there is.
    I keep telling you'all - this entire deck of cards ( modern high graded coins and stickers) is going to come tumbling down and then you can remember your old friend Ben who time and time again forewarned you of it!
    I guarantee that modern graded coins in ABCD MS & Pr.-69 are going to be used as doorstops and will trade at less (in some cases much less) than the original packaged material - and this original modern stuff will also be worth very little even in the original package.

17. LostDutchman

I agree with that. But I haven't seen too many of the aforementioned COA's from experts.

18. LostDutchman

As a dealer, even I agree with that... I don't treat modern stuff any differently in a top tier holder then if it were raw sitting on my counter.

19. elaine 1970

even you don't. let's said someone have a lot of modern sets and coins to sell. you simply choose the one with complete set first before the raw. right?. that's the different. complete set will be easier to sell. and sometimes command a little premium.

20. LostDutchman

Im my shop complete sets with paperwork sell much much faster then pieces with problems. (ie missing paperwork, cracked cases, packaging all messed up or been wet.) I have to discount that stuff because if I cant sell it in the shop it has to be wholesaled to another dealer and they buy the same way that I do... or I buy the same way that they buy from me, either or.

Yorkazuna likes this.
  21. Pocket Change

Pocket Change Coin Collector

As i was reading through the posts, I kept shaking my head and then I realized what the original question was - investment value. Of course, the COA cannot hurt the value - I guess that's another way of looking at it.

Myself, I don't enjoy all the packaging. If you start collecting these things, it takes up space. I realize some unpack and put them in air-tites and save the packaging, but I'm nervous about handling pristine coins/Commems, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted