[CLOSED] Quarter Notes Giveaway #7 (counterstamped quarters)

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, Dec 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

This contest is now CLOSED. The winner was announced in Post #45.

Quarter Notes Giveaway #7

This contest will be decided by a random number drawing sometime on or around Christmas Day, December 25th, 2021, or whenever I'm available on the forums. I might end it earlier than that, but if so, there will be another identical giveaway posted shortly afterward. Should I be absent, you may consider the contest active until such time as I return and finalize it with the drawing, and then we'll move on to the next one.

The enigmatic “QuarterMaster” from Quarter Notes, Ltd. sent me another surprise package. This time it was a small Priority box. I always open my mystery-mail from Quarter Notes because it’s always interesting and fun.

The QuarterMaster (whose secretive identity remains unknown to me to this day) sent me two rolls of his handiwork this time.

You see, he counterstamps short, pithy phrases- which amount to riddles, sometimes- on Statehood quarters, and releases them into circulation. Often the phrase has something to do with the state featured on the host coin.

[​IMG]

Some folks who end up on his mailing list (who knows how?) get these in the mail. Occasionally with the mind-blowing inclusion of crisp, high-denomination US currency notes. I've been pleasantly shocked to find a new hundred-dollar bill in the envelope a time or two! Others have received fifties. Just once in a while. The Quarter Master knows how to keep things exciting.

This time around, the generous QuarterMaster has instructed me to give away eight lots of ten counterstamped quarters each. This I will do as my schedule permits. We will give these away via random drawing, per my usual practice.

The winners should have fun trying to solve the riddles of the counterstamps.

I will also toss in two trinkets from my own inventory into each lot, and will ship the lots with some vintage (1930s-1950s) stamps, just for added fun.

[​IMG]

So... want in? ;)

Here's all you need to do:

Post a reply including the phrase "entry post", and thank the Quarter Master. You may also discuss your interesting circulation finds, counterstamped coins, etc. here if you like. There is no limit on conversational replies to this thread, but limit one entry post per contestant.

This drawing is for a lot of ten (10) different Statehood quarters with Quarter Notes, Ltd. counterstamps on them. I'll try to include all different designs and/or counterstamps in each lot, if supplies permit, and will add a couple of additional trinkets from my own inventory to each lot.

And if you don't win this drawing, there will be more. There were originally eight lots of ten coins in each, total. So I'll try to do a drawing every once in a while, depending on when I'm active on the forums.

Numismatic Regards,

~Robertson ("Rob") Shinnick ("LordM")

On behalf of the anonymous and enigmatic "Quarter Master" from Quarter Notes, Ltd.

Theodosius, expat and Stevearino like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Entry post thanks quartermaster. 20211128_195347.jpg 20211128_195328.jpg

4. beaver96

beaver96 Well-Known Member

Entry Post. Thank you QuarterMaster for the prizes and thank you LordM for the time and effort in running the contests. If chosen I'd like the prize to be given to YN who posted before me. Doubling his chances.

5. Wizank

Wizank Well-Known Member

Entry Post - Thank you Quartermaster and thank you Lord Marcovan - I think these are the most exotic contests here on CT. IMG_3172.jpg

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Entry post.

Thanks for continuing these great contests.

Just a page from my Barber quarter album.

upload_2021-12-1_9-17-20.jpeg

7. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

Entry post!
    Thanks most graciously Quarter master.
    I've had no recent circulation finds, except a wheat penny. But I did have a friend give me a silver Canadian dime she got back in change, which was rather odd as I'm in Kentucky and the coin was from 1963!

8. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Entry post.

Mange tusen takk to the QuarterMaster (a sneaky attempt to see if s/he is Norwegian). I now have received three directly from him/her and really get a kick from this whole deal. Thanks to Rob, too, for being the resident agent for the QuarterMaster.

Here's a beautiful Norwegian Specie Daler that someone has counter-stamped with a "T." Wow...without the counter-stamp this would be worth about $4,000, give or take a thousand. With the "T" I'm not sure. Since that is the first initial of my last name I could consider keeping it. My wife might have a different opinion.

Steve
    IMG_6416.jpeg IMG_6415.jpeg

9. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Entry post. Thank you Quartermaster and thank you Lord Marcovan. Gucci says thank you....

174257389_104199878483834_5113368165390006555_n.jpg

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  10. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Max is to the left of Gucci...he says hi too...

expat and lordmarcovan like this.
  11. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Oy, that's a rare piece of lutefisk, there!

ZoidMeister and expat like this.
  12. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

Entry Post

Thank you Quartermaster and LordM!

lordmarcovan and expat like this.
  13. Noah Worke

Noah Worke Well-Known Member

Entry Post

Thank you Quartermaster and thank you Lord M for the GaW!

I don't have much in the way of circulation finds lately, so here's a random coin in my gallery of photos: 1856 Seated Dime Obv.jpg 1856 Seated Dime Rev.jpg

Edit: A bit about this coin in particular - It's my first seated dime and oldest dime. It is well circulated, so it's a circulated find rather than a circulation find.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  14. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Entry Post
    Thank you Quartermaster and you my Lord
    This was forwarded to me from a cousin of my Wife in Norway. He found it while demolishing a wall and unfortunately cleaned it a bit.
    20210815_194516 (2).jpg 20210815_194709 (2).jpg

lordmarcovan likes this.
  15. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Entry Post

Thank You to both QM and LM. Together you keep the Coin Talk !! pages quite exciting ! Winning is, in and of itself, a lot of fun, but the prizes offered and the repartee gained herein takes everything a punch above.
    Keep it up and Thanx Again.

lordmarcovan and Stevearino like this.
  16. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Entry Post.

I would like to extend my thanks to both @lordmarcovan, and the ever illusive quartermaster for this contest.

Here's, one of my recent circulation finds, provided you consider a coin found in the Coinstar reject slot as a "circulation find."

1869 Shield Nickel Kroger Coinstar.jpg

Lueds, Hookman and Stevearino like this.
  17. Hookman

That is a cool find.....all things considered.

18. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

And Zoid has been granted admission to the club!

Eternal thanks to the QuarterMeister, I mean Quarter Master . . . . .

I admit, the coded message on this one has me flummoxed. I keep picking my brain, but it's meaning is a bit fuzzy. My attempts at decoding it have not been very fruitful. I would like to cobbler together an appropriate guess, but the thought of being wrong has left me in the pits.

Anyway, I know y'all are a lot smarter and can probably figure it out. My intent was to just thank @lordmarcovan and the Quarter Master for the kind gift and for lowering the bar enough to admit the Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . .

Z

IMG_3143.JPG IMG_3144.JPG IMG_3145.JPG

Lueds likes this.
  19. Hookman

Zoid, the message on this Georgia Quarter is simply "You're a Peach !", which is like saying "You're the best." or " You're a great person. ".
    You can get the message by reading the quarter in a linear way : First the words
    " You're A " followed underneath the words by a depiction of a Peach.

Actually, this is one of his easier ones, plus I really like solving riddles.

If I could get a chance to read the various quarters that have been sent out, I believe I could solve most, if not all, of them.

Thanx and Good Luck !

20. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

I keep picking my brain, but it's meaning is a bit fuzzy. My attempts at decoding it have not been very fruitful. I would like to cobbler together an appropriate guess, but the thought of being wrong has left me in the pits.

I guess I was being too cryptic . . .

Sheesh . . .

Z

21. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Entry post-- Thank You Quarter Master and LordM !! 09175865_166311935_800x800.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.