[CLOSED] Quarter Notes Giveaway #3 (counterstamped quarters)

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, Aug 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

entry post and as for the post above me...i knew a man who was a jeweler, angie rosato..he was missing a thumb..anyways, he wrote a very thick and informative (soft cover) book on elongates and was the foremost expert in this field and had well over 30,000 different in his collection as well as a few of the coin elongation machines..i was in my teens and used to scour the coin shows and flea markets for him buying up all the silver bars and 90% coin i could for him,,he used to give me 1000.00 the day before a coin show to make purchase for him and he used to give me 5% for my trouble, heck,,,that paid for the table space..lol i did buy a nice seiko watch from him it was aa 1969 new in the bos and i bought it in 1983 from him i still have this watch to this day..although it has been through many straps...

lordmarcovan likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

p.s thank you quartermaster..

lordmarcovan likes this.
  4. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

This giveaway ended already. There is a new one open for entries though. Good luck on that one.

lordmarcovan and john65999 like this.
  5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Yep- @john65999 - as @masterswimmer mentioned, this one has closed, but there’s an identical new giveaway just posted.

ZoidMeister and masterswimmer like this.
  6. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

Holy cow! What an awesome way to start my online day! Just got on (try to stay off computers for a while on Saturdays after a week of work, which involves nearly 100% computer related or involved stuff).

My deepest and sincerest appreciation QuarterMaster, whoever you might be, and, of course, our Lord Morcovan! Thanks! Thank you (the plural 'you') very much!

David

7. lordmarcovan

@DEA - your goodies have shipped. I missed the Tuesday AM post-holiday carrier pickup, but they'll be on the move Wednesday AM.

8. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

Thank you, sir! I'll be on the lookout.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  9. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

My deepest appreciation to the Quarter Master and @lordmarcovan. Let's start with the packaging. I got 'em in the mail today. What a lovely bunch of old stamps; I think someone else liked them too, as it appears some are missing. I like the declaration in the lower right corner - 4.9 oz LG.ENV. RATE = $1.98" - for the USPS weight-checkers.

envelope.jpg

And then the goodies! I didn't (and don't) feel right about including Personal Identifying Information (PII) and obscured most of it, I think. The Lord said it was okay but I couldn't do it. Sorry.

Obverse
    CT-1.jpg

Reverse

. . . to be continued . . .

10. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

continued . . .

Reverse
    I keep getting an error about file too big. I will have to leave and then come back.

11. lordmarcovan

Looks like 26 cents worth of stamps disappeared. Must’ve happened after the postmark. Glad it made it there! :nailbiting:

You still got the Scott #1734 “Indian Head Cent” stamp, along with a couple older ones. That 1978 “midget” stamp is the smallest US postage stamp ever issued. I keep a small stash of them for my coin peeps.

DEA likes this.
  12. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

Let's try this again . . .

Okay, I give up. Apparently it's still too large. But it's smaller than the even the envelope.

13. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

Finally. I wonder what I'm doing wrong . . .

CT-2.jpg

14. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

The thing is, none of those stamps are postmarked or canceled. If I had the motivation (and fortitude), I could use them again!

15. lordmarcovan

I appreciate the vigilance, but you didn’t have to white out my real-life name on the pix of the coin holders. It’s no secret. ;)

Thanks for posting what-all you got with the quarters. I have been lax in my photography of the types, as you will have noticed in the original post. Hope the Quarter Master is not disappointed by that.

Your LordM elongate is Type 1A - the holed variant of that type.

These have just recently been published, thanks to the efforts of the good @ZoidMeister.

DEA likes this.
  16. lordmarcovan

Twenty-eight cents worth of stamps missing. Arithmetic fail in my earlier post. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.