[CLOSED] Quarter Notes Giveaway #1 (counterstamped quarters)

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, Apr 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

4/28/21: This contest is now CLOSED. The winner was announced in Post #68.

Quarter Notes Giveaway #1

The enigmatic “QuarterMaster” from Quarter Notes, Ltd. has sent me another surprise package. This time it was a small Priority box. I always open my mystery-mail from Quarter Notes because it’s always interesting and fun.

The QuarterMaster (whose secretive identity remains unknown to me to this day) sent me two rolls of his handiwork this time.

You see, he counterstamps short, pithy phrases- which amount to riddles, sometimes- on Statehood quarters, and releases them into circulation. Often the phrase has something to do with the state featured on the host coin.

2E1A8CF3-5B6F-4FCB-9B12-5FEAE7CC5872.jpeg

Some folks who end up on his mailing list (who knows how?) get these in the mail (occasionally with the mind-blowing inclusion of crisp, high-denomination US currency notes!)

This time around, the generous QuarterMaster has instructed me to give away eight lots of ten counterstamped quarters each. This I will do in intervals of every 1-3 weeks or so, as my schedule permits. We will do this via random drawing, per my usual practice.

The winners should have fun trying to solve the riddles of the counterstamps.

Since the QuarterMaster also (obscenely) overcompensated me for the eventual shipping costs (by way of more of those aforementioned high-denomination currency notes), I will also toss in two trinkets from my own inventory into each lot, and will ship the lots with a whole bunch of vintage (1930s-1950s) stamps, just for added fun.

2A21FE34-C410-40F6-82F3-7CB8640FDB20.jpeg

So... want in? ;)

Here's all you need to do:

Post a reply including the phrase "entry post", and tell us what your favorite US Statehood Quarter design is. If you win, I will attempt to include a counterstamped quarter of that design into your prize lot (if I have one on hand from the source rolls).

Limit one entry post per member per drawing.

Again, this drawing is for a lot of ten (10) different Statehood quarters with Quarter Notes, Ltd. counterstamps on them. I'll try to include all different designs and/or counterstamps in each lot, as far as possible.

And if you don't win this drawing, there will be more (eight lots of ten coins in each, total). I'll try to do a drawing every one to three weeks, as mentioned, depending on when I'm active on the forums.

PS- in addition to the trinkets and stamps I'll toss in with the quarter shipments, one of these lots is also going to include a crisp $20 bill. Hey, I can't afford to fling C-notes around willy-nilly like the QuarterMaster sometimes does, but since he was overgenerous with me- as usual- I'll slip a twenty into one of these envelopes. (Which prize lot gets the twenty will also be randomly determined.) :greedy:;)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  4. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

entry post

Many thanks to the anonymous QuarterMaster and @lordmarcovan for your genorosity!

My favorite state quarter is Wisconsin. I like it because of the cool errors you can find on the corn cob and just because its a nice design. Haven't found one of these errors yet, but its the first thing I think of when I see the coin.[​IMG]

5. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Entry Post

My personal favorite:

West Virginia State Quarter.png

6. lordmarcovan

I’m rather partial to Nevada’s, I think, though I’m from Georgia. (Ours isn’t bad.)

375CCCF9-D128-4D3F-81F9-8E593583D2E8.png

7. lordmarcovan

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  8. William F

William F Well-Known Member

Entry post! I love this anonymous QuarterMaster! And I've recently started a collection of US counterstamped coins so if I win a set this will be a nice addition!;)
    Favorite quarter... My birth state, TEXAS of course,
    Once a Texan, always a Texan :) 4503-wc.jpg

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  9. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

Entry Post

I have read some crazy stories about people getting mail from Quarternotes with all of them being positive. Who knows why/who is doing this but since he reached out to you it's safe to assume he's on CT or CU. The counterstamps are very cool.

My favorite state quarter is GA.
    51pzDx7SPTL._SX342_.jpg

10. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

Entry Post!

And thanks for doing this @lordmarcovan !

My favorite State Quarter design? Man, that's tough because there are so many good ones . . . .

I guess it would have to be Utah, because, well, you know . . . . . Trains . . . . and Promontory Point . . . . . .

upload_2021-4-19_12-52-57.png

Good luck to me in advance! I have always desired a Quarternotes production, and the chance at TEN . . . . . ?

Hoo boy, I would be like a kid at Christmas . . . . .

Z

11. lordmarcovan

I just figured out the “ENEMY” counterstamp on that Missouri quarter in the pic above.

The Gateway Arch is featured on the Missouri quarter.

Arch + ENEMY = “arch-enemy”. Get it? It’s a visual pun. Likewise “HORSE IN A ROUND” on the Delaware quarter. Which of course features a horse.

Which begs another silly riddle:

Q: What kind of horse is shown on the Delaware quarter?

A: A quarter horse! :p

A lot of these counterstamps seem to be puns.

12. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Entry Post

My one and only graded State Quarter and yes it is my birth state.

If I'm a winner I do believe that I will release mine into the wild.

Interesting fact (to me). Caesar Rodney is riding the "quarter" horse on the Delaware quarter. I attended Caesar Rodney High School.

US25C1999DE01.jpg

13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Entry Post !

My favorite state quarter is California because not only did it become the FS-901 Die Dent, but also because it became the only PF70UCAM Top Pop for me.
    2005-S KS Silver SQ.JPG

14. CoinJockey73

CoinJockey73 Well-Known Member

Harder to find than a W/V75.

15. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

My first indian took me much longer and harder than my W.

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  16. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Entry post

Thanks, once again, for your generosity and that of QuarterMaster.
    Being a Buffalo nickel collector, I favor the Kansas quarter.
    KansasQuarterStatequarterKS.jpg

17. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Entry Post

Many thanks to your continued generosity @lordmarcovan and now that of the Quartermaster.

I also love the Nevada state quarter design. Love the equines and, well, gotta love The Silver State.

Zorrbabe and lordmarcovan like this.
  18. lordmarcovan

The QuarterMaster once sent a quarter that he said had NOT been counterstamped by him.

It was a W-mint V75.

19. CoinJockey73

That's perfect!

Zorrbabe likes this.
  20. CoinJockey73

Entry post,
    and thanks once again to all the kind and generous people at CoinTalk.

My three favorites.
    20210419_164046.jpg
    Yup, all found in circulation, lol.
    20210419_164112.jpg

21. Copper lover

Copper lover Well-Known Member

Entry Post

North Carolina- my home state

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.