[CLOSED] LordM Giveaway #93 (on behalf of Mountain Man)

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, Apr 27, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

LordM Giveaway #93 (on behalf of @Mountain Man)

Contest status: CLOSED
    Drawing (@Bradley Trotter won on behalf of @Evan Saltis)
    Shipped: 22 May 2023
    Winner's notice of receipt

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hello everyone, and welcome to the latest giveaway. This one is being done at the behest of Albert, aka @Mountain Man.

You see, some time ago I sent him a Roman silver coin, but it got lost in the mail. I offered to send another, but he said he'd prefer I give it away instead, as he's preplanning his estate and might be giving a lot of his own coins away soon anyhow.

So instead of sending another Roman silver coin to Albert, I'll be sending it to one of you.

The prize for this contest is a...

Roman Empire: silver denarius of the emperor Hadrian (117-138 AD)
    18.3 mm max diameter, 2.48 g. This piece bears the portrait of the famous wall builder.
    [​IMG]

To enter:

Simply say or post something you think will please @Mountain Man. He may also post as many times as he likes to award extra chances in the drawing for anyone he sees fit.

You may also enter the contest on someone else's behalf if you do not desire the prize for yourself. Simply name the person you would like to receive it if your entry wins the drawing.

The random drawing will take place on or after May 21st, 2023.

Totally free: the contest is free of charge, open to everyone, with free worldwide shipping. The only thing I ask is that you do please post to this thread later, when you have received the prize, so that we'll know you got it (that helps me keep track).

Good luck!

Numismatic regards,

~Robertson ("Rob") Shinnick ("LordM")

[​IMG]

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    LordM Giveaway archive

[​IMG]

This contest is brought to you by Mountain Man.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2023
    Evan Saltis, Clawcoins, PamR and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

@Mountain Man I feel about as beat up as this half that is 100 years older than me.
    Entry Post. 1843 Half.jpg

Evan Saltis, dwhiz, expat and 2 others like this.
  4. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Entry post,still don't have a silver ancient. Screenshot_20230406_173221_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20230421_141300_eBay.jpg

5. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Thank you Rob, for doing this. I appreciate it.

Clawcoins, PamR, Eric the Red and 8 others like this.
  6. lordmarcovan

7. lordmarcovan

'Tis the very least I could do.

PamR, Eric the Red and Inspector43 like this.
  8. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Sure I’d like to win something on mountain man’s dime. Even if I don’t win. I still think he’s aces

9. lordmarcovan

This one is on LordM’s dime (or denarius, I should say), but in honor of @Mountain Man. And you’re right.

10. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Entry Post
    There is a gap to be filled between Trajan and Antoninus Pius in my collection. Thank you @Mountain Man and @lordmarcovan for the chance to plug the hole.

11. ancient times

ancient times Legatus Legionis

I am from West Virginia, home of the mountaineers and Mountain man you would fit right in with us hillbillies, Hadrian would be a nice edition to my collection if I would get picked, if not some lucky individual will be happy with it!

12. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Entry post:

Very lovely giveaway!!

Mountain Man sold me a pretty sweet mercury dime in MS65FB recently.

My first graded mercury, and first to have designated FB. It was a good price and I will treasure it.

I could really use a nice denarius to soothe the mind, but no matter who wins, they will be happy with the win.

13. romismatist

romismatist Well-Known Member

Entry post:

I appreciate both @lordmarcovan's and @Mountain Man's altruism with this contest. And what better coin to give away than the best of the five Good Emperors (in my opinion).

14. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

Thanks Mountain Man!
    I hope you cooked that Prickly Pear Cactus long enough!
    R.jpg

15. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Entry Post- Thank you @Mountain Man for the contest!
    I only have 2 Ancients currently, so this silver specimen would be AWESOME!!! :)

16. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

An equal thank you to both @lordmarcovan and @Mountain Man

I just had a reflection moment this past weekend with my 7 y/o grandson. I've been getting him numerous rolls of wheaties to fill two Whitman folders. He knows all about matching the date on the coin with the date in the folder. He understands about mint marks and what they signify. He understands about finding duplicates and replacing lesser condition coins with better condition coins. He knows about mintage figures and how the low numbers are more difficult to find. I taught him how to hold his loupe up to his eye to magnify and see his coin easier. I'm so proud of him.

Here's the reflection moment, that I'm not proud of. We had a baby shower for my daughter at the house this past weekend. Lots of people all over the place. My grand asked me if he could work on his coins. In my haste, without putting any thought into it at all, I suggested we wait till next time when it would be a bit more quiet. Stupid move on my part. I easily could have given him a dozen or two wheaties to sort through on his own. He's very capable. I'm so bummed with myself.

If I am lucky enough to win this awesome ancient, in Mountain Man's name, I'd most definitely present it to my grandson.

17. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the contest, Mountain Man and lordmarcovan.

IMG_1922.JPG IMG_1923.JPG IMG_1925.JPG

18. Noah Worke

Noah Worke Well-Known Member

I'd like to enter on the behalf of @expat and for my post is my own Hadrian denarius! HadrianRomeDenarius.jpeg
    3.27g, 17mm
    Laureate bust of Hadrian right "HADRIANVS AVG COS III PP"
    Roma seated left, holding a branch and spear. "ROMA FELIX"
    RSC 1304

19. lordmarcovan

Nice one, @Noah Worke

Noah Worke and Eric the Red like this.
  20. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

I thank you very much. It is a good thing I am typing because I am speechless and humbled.

21. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

I contemplated entering this contest for myself, but then thought to myself “Self, don’t be greedy. You already have a silver ancient.” Therefore, this entry is for @potty dollar 1878 .

What would @Mountain Man be pleased to look at? How about more mountain men and history of the state that he currently calls home.

I don’t think I’ve ever shared this piece on here. My aunts dad, Cliff, had me go through his late wife’s coin collection in the fall of 2011. He had lost his wife, Opie, the previous year and I had lost my first wife just that summer. We sat at his kitchen table at his ranch in Missoula, Montana for a bunch of hours over a few days. We talked about losing our wives and a plethora of other topics.

Opie had a very nice, very large, collection. I was fortunate enough to be able to help him liquidate some of it. Before I left to head back home that trip, he asked me to select a piece from the collection for helping him go through it and submitting coins for grading and auction. Cliff passed away in 2018 at the age of 95. I think of him every time I look at this piece that he was so kind to give me.

I chose this piece because it screams old west Montana. The fur trade side of this medal looks like @Mountain Man ’s avatar. Enjoy.

2C3EED88-7B8F-44A2-8A85-B575628C4CF4.jpeg 47A691E7-62FE-404B-8E59-9988E675BBC4.jpeg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.