[CLOSED] LordM Giveaway #50 ("Not-So-Secret Saturnalia")

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Dec 3, 2020.

1. serdogthehound

serdogthehound Well-Known Member

Those were close for me for sure

lordmarcovan likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Azjedi

Azjedi Member

Entry post

I'm getting a dog in January! and i would like to get the Hungary one because on my mom's side they are Hungarian.

Kasia, Theodosius and lordmarcovan like this.
  4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Entry, #2
    [​IMG]

Because I want a Grace Jones coin...
    [​IMG]

Kasia, Alegandron, JulesUK and 4 others like this.
  5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Just another wee bumperooney, if y’all don’t mind, to put it back on Page 1.

6. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

I like no#5 but it is withdrawn so I now like no#17 because I have a few Chinese coins but are probably all fake and this one would be real.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  7. Bill57

Bill57 Member

Entry Post

#7 Widows Mite.

Am also a newbie here. I really enjoy the information gained from all of you!

impcaeaug and lordmarcovan like this.
  8. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

Entry post
    #20 I like because it has nice details and would be a great addition to my (relatively small) medieval coin set.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  9. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

Entry Post.
    I'd have to say...
    #7. Judaea: bronze lepton of Alexander Jannaeus, ca. 103-76 BC (the biblical "Widow's mite")
    I have yet to acquire one of these and like the biblical association.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  10. Rhody

Rhody Member

#13 is the choice for me. What struck me is the lady Salus feeding a snake. I wondered why that is and that sent me down a rabbit hole. Salus as the lady of health, the Greek god Asclepius, the snake on the rod fashioned by Moses in Numbers, to its long use as a medical symbol, and the confusion with the caduceus.
    With respect to the obverse, I also got a little education on the final battle of the Gallic secession that so decimated the victorious Roman forces which in turn opened the way for the northern tribes to overrun Rome.
    A couple of fun hours exploring history all because of an old coin!

Thank you.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  11. Kliao

Kliao Member

#19. Really interesting to see coins over 500 years old that could have been made 100 years ago. The design is also really neat with the horse and eagle on the reverse.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  12. ChristopherCollectsCoin

ChristopherCollectsCoin Active Member

Entry post for #19. That is a beautiful coin. I love old coinage that bear an eagle/bird design. Thank you plenty!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  13. JulesUK

JulesUK Well-Known Member

Entry post for #12.
    A coin with a mountain on it, not something I own or have seen before. Amazing.
    And, what a mountain (Volcano), which I want to visit in the future due to its mythological standing.

(Apologies for long absence from forum)

Kasia and lordmarcovan like this.
  14. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Two days left 'til Saturnalia!

[​IMG]

15. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

I am awfully late but happy to join in on the fun!
    I really like #18, as I have recently become more and more fascinated with Spanish history and how it has truly shaped the world. The castle and lion on this coin really catch my attention and together they feel like a motif of this iconic era in world history.

JulesUK likes this.
  16. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Entry post Even though green is my fav color. I pick #20

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  17. Everett Guy

Everett Guy Well-Known Member

I would go with lucky number 13. I was going to stick to collecting only silver coins but the bronze coins are so nice also with a chance to add many great reverses. I dont have any yet, Thanks for the chance to win!

SorenCoins likes this.
  18. DarkRage666

DarkRage666 Ͳìɾҽժղҽʂʂ Ͳąҟҽղ ටѵҽɾ

ENTRY POST #1 just because it's the oldest one on here and I want to get my ancient coin collection started off strong

lordmarcovan likes this.
  19. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

Entry post . . .

You the man, @lordmarcovan! Thanks!

I appreciate and like each and everyone one of those coins! I get goosebumps just thinking where those coins have been, who might have bought what kind of food or shelter, or if a mercenary was paid with one of those coins, or what kind of trade deals those coins were used in, . . . I could go on and on.

Leaning towards commerce and trade deals today, I'm going with #2 Phoenicia (Arados): bronze Æ17, ca. 242-166 BC; turreted head of Tyche / Athena on ship's prow. Tied for second place were numbers 17-20!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  20. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

I like the widows mite #7. The upside-down anchor is nicely set on this one.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  21. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

Entry post.
    Number 13. I have recently become interested in the history of the short-lived Gallic Roman Empire.

lordmarcovan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted