[CLOSED] LordM & Friends Coin Giveaway, May, 2019

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, Apr 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Just read along, and see how it flows. I welcome donor partners in these giveaways but do not solicit that. Anyone can run their own contest, after all.

But if you'd like to be a donor partner in mine, all I need from you are some decent pictures and a description of the item(s) before the end of the month, for next month's giveaway.

You wouldn't even ship the prizes to me. I'd have you hold onto the stuff until the end of the month and then send it directly to the winner of the drawing.

You can read last month's giveaway thread and some of the others if you like. There is an archive of past giveaways in Post #3.

Theodosius likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

By the way, everyone, I can now confirm that there will be old gold next month.

(Not big gold. I'm not a rich man. But something fun.)

4. don oswald

don oswald Active Member

image.jpg image.jpg Entry post 1,2,5,7,4,6,3
    Check out this good luck token. Hopefully it’ll prove itself by this contest

Theodosius and Tlberg like this.
  5. lordmarcovan

Neat old encased cent. @Paddy54 sent me this one recently, when I bought a coin from him.

20190507_041806.jpg 20190507_041828.jpg

6. egodoro

egodoro Member

Ben and I thank you for this!

Attached Files:

lordmarcovan likes this.
  7. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

Entry post. 1 2 4 5 7 4 3.
    Thanks for the giveaway!
    This is not a great treasure, but it is my most recent purchase. Got it for 20 cents in a 5-for-$1 box. It is, I believe, from Namur (a region of Belgium), issued under Maximilian II Emanuel, Elector of Bavaria, 1712. Not a great rarity and well worn, but I loved learning the history it represents as I searched to identify it when I got it home. IMG_9615.JPG IMG_9614.JPG

8. lordmarcovan

That's junkbox-diving at its best. How can you possibly beat that? A readable 300-year-old coin for 20 cents? Awesome.

I'd have guessed Liège on that, simply because it resembles some 18th century coppers from Liège that I once acquired on the cheap (but not that cheap!)

Neal likes this.
  9. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Some info on Namur. It's an ancient city and if you ever go there, you must visit the Meat Hall. (Don't ask)
    Namur-Belgium

Cool Coin BTW !

Theodosius, lordmarcovan and Neal like this.
  10. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

Thanks! I enjoyed reading that!

Hookman likes this.
  11. lordmarcovan

Prize #2 arrived yesterday from Hungary. As a bonus, the seller included a vintage postcard from Budapest, which was a classy gesture. They will get glowing feedback from me.

The postcard might be nearly a century old in its own right- I can't read the date on the postmark. Anyone know Hungarian stamps? @Jaelus?

(Edit- nope- it's closer to 50 years old, since that's a 1963 stamp. Thanks, @Jaelus.)

The coin is quite decent for the type and in pretty nice grade, allowing for the somewhat primitive minting process of its time. I'd call it VF+ at least, and perhaps XF. These are often quite crude but this is a nice example. I put it in a new flip and printed up a professional-style information insert for it.

Whoever wins this coin in the drawing will also get the old postcard.

(* I also just purchased not one, but two gold coins for the June giveaway. Yes, you heard that right. So stay tuned for that one when the time comes...)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

Nothing new here for me coin-wise. I did get two banknotes though. They're here.
    Entry post.

13. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

1963 60 fillér stamp

Hookman likes this.
  14. lordmarcovan

Thank you! So nowhere near as old as I'd thought, then. That kind of looked like a WW1 era postcard to me.

But it's a fifty year-old postcard, anyway.

PS- I wasn't looking closely enough at the stamp. The passenger bus shown on it would've been an obvious clue to its vintage, had I been paying attention, or wearing my glasses. Looked like a building to me. LOL

Noah Finney and Hookman like this.
  15. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

The stamps from WWI era look totally different. This style of stamp originated in the early 1950s.

Hookman likes this.
  16. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Coin-001.jpg Entry Post, 1,3,4,2,7,5,6 Specialized challenge coin

spirityoda, Tlberg and lordmarcovan like this.
  17. lordmarcovan

Well, yeah, I guess WW1 stamps don't have 1950s-era buses on them. Things can get amusing at times when I ain't wearin' my specs. :rolleyes::watching:

Jaelus and Hookman like this.
  18. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Entry post
    This came from my Coin Club’s monthly auction. It opened at $9, and I was the only bidder! It’s in great shape, and has that dark toning that I love! 1E5270ED-1696-4A8F-8805-880956A92557.jpeg A008FB07-E429-44D8-8E5D-2D089355AD1E.jpeg

19. Wal888

Wal888 Well-Known Member

Entry post

*1*2*7*5*3*4*6

My first Franklin Half
    My hope is it will be FBL.
    (Seller photos)
    1951 obv.JPG 1951 rev.JPG

20. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

ENTRY POST
    Thanks to all that donated towards this give away. Much appreciated.
    1943 S clipped planchet.jpg

1943 S Clipped Planchet reverse.jpg

21. Col_Fury

Col_Fury Member

ENTRY POST

I began collecting Mexican, Central and South American coins and paper currency after my now wife, then girlfriend, took me on a trip to Mexico to met her family. First time outside the US and I was amazed by the simple beauty of the currency. When we returned I brought close to 10 books within a month and have been hooked ever since.

lordmarcovan, Trish and Hookman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.