Cleaning Tarnish Off Silver Bars and Rounds?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by oldsk00l90, Jan 27, 2014.

1. oldsk00l90

oldsk00l90 New Member

Is it safe to clean the tarnish off items like silver bars and rounds with the boiling water, aluminum foil and baking soda method?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Why? Sell them for 20 times their value on Ebay as "high end toned pm".

Seriously, why? The toning is technically still silver, and its protecting the rest of the silver from tarnish. Just leave it be and change the storage conditions under which you store them to prevent any further toning if you can. Heck, I use fresh silver to keep the rest of my coins from toning.

Paul M. and jello like this.
  4. oldsk00l90

oldsk00l90 New Member

I just bought 3 moderately toned/tarnished bars from a local shop today. Can a certain level of toning hurt the value of the bars (like if the whole bar were to become brown-black?)

5. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Does it still weight the proper amount? That is the major issue. If it becomes corroded to such an extent it starts losing weight it might, but that would be the "matte black" stage of corrosion before that would occur. If it truly is "matte black", then I would agree its best to clean it to stop the corrosion. Short of that, simply leave it alone. If you truly despise the bars, go to a coin show and ask to trade them for something you like, (with an associated fee of course).

jello likes this.
  6. oldsk00l90

oldsk00l90 New Member

I don't mind the fact that they are a bit tarnished. I was just worried (after I bought them earlier today) that it might make it difficult for me sell them in the future.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

You could just get a 'silverware cloth' that has chemicals in it and wipe and polish. Some have chemicals that limit further oxidation. I do not consider bullion or rounds as numismatic items although some do, and so just use a silver dip if they get ugly. Apologies to the former collector types. Welcome to the forum.
    Jim

Paul M. and jello like this.
  8. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

While there are some exceptions, most bars and rounds don't carry a premium over melt. They are probably fine just the way they are, but if it bothers you, give them a dip. They should come out shiny and the value will still be the same.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    Paul M. likes this.
  9. SilverSurfer415

SilverSurfer415 Well-Known Member

I like all my Englehard bar to be filthy and dirty.

10. Toothpaste works wonders. Just rub it on with a soft cloth.

11. Pacecar

Pacecar Well-Known Member

Some people treat the silver bars/rounds just like numismatic coins, others don't. It's your bar/round, your choice. I would say, however, if you do want to clean them, then dip them in the E-Zest(I think that's the name of it) like some do with coins. I would suggest researching the bars/rounds first before you do clean them.

12. oldsk00l90

oldsk00l90 New Member

They are one ounce Engelhard bars.

13. definer

definer definitely....! LOL

After (If) you clean them, I'd suggest putting them in ait-tites. They have cases specifically for bars and rounds.

14. Taffy h.

Taffy h. New Member

What about a 10 troy oz englehard silver bar, with eaffling on the back, that I want to sell? Light brown over the silver? Should I clean it a bit before selling on ebay?

15. TommyP

TommyP BS detector

Yes, as long as you say it was 'conserved' and don't call it cleaning, you're good.

16. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Depending on the look you may be costing yourself money. MS-70 works reasonably well on most things though

Draft saved Draft deleted