Civil War Denarius - Spanish Mint Issue - Bon Event.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Eduard, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Much relieved my civil war denarius has finally arrived.
    Better late than never as they say, and I must say I am throughly pleased.

I had been looking for a representative example and this one fits the bill perfectly.

Civil Wars, 68-69. Denarius (Silver, 19 mm, 3.60 g, 7 h), uncertain mint in Spain, 68. BON EVENT.
    Obv: Diademed head of Bonus Eventus to right.
    Rev: ROM RENASC Roma standing right, holding Victory in right hand and long eagle-tipped scepter in left.
    BMC 9-10. Cohen 396. Martin 52. Nicolas 49. RIC 9.
    Rare and unusually nice, an attractive example struck in good silver and without the usual porosity. Very fine.

This description from acsearch describes much better than I ever could the background of this coin:

''Issued by Galba as governor of Spain, in the disordered period before the death of Nero and the proclamation of Galba as emperor.

The civil wars at the end of Nero’s reign began with the revolt of the governor of Gallia Lugdunensis, Gaius Julius Vindex, probably around the beginning of March of AD 68. Vindex offered the leadership of the revolt to Servius Sulpicius Galba, then governor of Hispania Tarraconensis, who was hailed imperator by the Spanish legions at Carthago Nova in April of the same year. The title was cautiously refused, but Galba did declare himself the legatus of the senate and people of Rome. Just a month later, Galba’s confidence would be shaken by the crushing defeat of Vindex near Besançon by the general Lucius Verginius Rufus, governor of Germania Superior. By 9 June Nero was dead, having taken his own life. Galba began his march to Rome, and his brief reign was underway.

Coinage, of course, was needed during these precarious months of revolt and without an emperor to strike in the name of (save for that in honor of the “model emperor” of Roman history, Augustus), the coinage was struck with messages suiting the political climate.

The coinage under Vindex possesses a more aggressive air that underscores the militant nature of his revolt, while Galba’s tends to be more constitutional and optimistic in tone.''

This issue thus belongs to the spanish series, and was issued by Galba before his proclamation as emperor.

Many thanks to NEMO and to TIF for providing inspiration to pursue this series:).

Both of them have recently posted some beautiful examples of denarii of the civil war AD 68-69.

Civil war denarius - Bon Event.jpg Civil War Denarius Bon Event-Obv - 1.jpg Civil War Denarius Bon Event-Rev1 - 1.jpg

I was unaware of the fact that the BON EVENT Civil War denarius was issued by Galba before his proclamation. Interestingly, this denarius of Galba shows the same reverse and fully supports this fact:

Galba denarius-victoria-obv - 1.jpg Galba denarius-victoria-rev - 1.jpg

Please Post any coin you may have which may be related to the troubled years of the Civil Wars of AD 68-69.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    Smojo, Volodya, Carausius and 25 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Fantastic! The portrayal of Bonus Eventus is particularly compelling :)

Alegandron and Eduard like this.
  4. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Nice!

Eduard likes this.
  5. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Yes it is. That was the first thing that struck me when I was shooting my own pictures this morning.

6. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Mikey Zee and Alegandron like this.
  7. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Wonderful! Congrats on the acquisition. I'm incredibly jealous. One of these days...

Eduard likes this.
  8. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Thank you, Zumbly.
    I am sure you will find yours - it took me 27 years of collecting ancients to get one:).

zumbly likes this.
  9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I also envy you your Zen master forbearance! :D

Eduard likes this.
  10. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I really love that denarius! Both the portrait and reverse are superb. Just a fantastic acquisition. Congrats!

Eduard likes this.
  11. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Absolutely fantastic--I LOVE IT!!!

Sadly, I haven't been as successful, losing out on the few of the OP I have gone after.

Eduard likes this.
  12. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Lovely & interesting coin, Eduard!

Eduard likes this.
  13. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

wonderful coin @Eduard That is a very special coin.

Eduard likes this.
  14. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

that's a SWEET score edward! at first glance i would just guess that was some republican denarius....neat!

i had to look up who "bonus eventus" was! :bag: interesting also!

Eduard likes this.
  15. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Thanks for the kind call out @Eduard ! The Civil War at the end of the Julio-Claudian reign was very interesting... I captured Vindex because he was the one (I believe), that really got the ball rolling to oust Nero...

Yeah, I know, I need to photo him OUT of the tomb (just been too lazy...)

upload_2017-7-22_18-26-0.png
    RI Civil War VINDEX 68-69 CE AR Denarius 3.22g Gallic mint SALVS GENERIS HVMANI Victory l globe - SPQR in wreath RIC 72 BMCRE 34-36 RSC 420 RARE

Hey, and since Seutonius SHORT-CHANGED his legacy, I gave him an Honor-Spot in my Seutonius...13 (the 13 Caesars...) :D :D :D

Seutonius 12 - 12 Caesars PLUS Vindex.jpg

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    Multatuli, Andres2, Eduard and 8 others like this.
  16. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Wonderful acquisition of a rare issue. This is a particularly nice example, thanks for posting!

Eduard and Alegandron like this.
  17. PMONNEY

PMONNEY Flaminivs

Congratulations for a very fine and rare coin.historical witness.

Eduard likes this.
  18. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Fantastic OP denarius. The portrait is just...something !

Q

Eduard likes this.
  19. Alegandron

I recently captured another Vindex issue...

upload_2017-8-16_23-47-27.png
    RI Civil War Revolt of Vindex CE 68-69 AR Denarius ROMA RESTITVTA - IVPITER LIBERATOR Jupiter seated r Tbolt Scepter 17mm 3.02g RIC I 62 RSC 374-RARE

'Taint the purdiest, but I do not see too many out there...

Volodya, TIF, Multatuli and 6 others like this.
  20. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Alegandron, I like her just the way she is!

A very scarce coin which belongs to the series attributed to the rebellion of Caius Julius Vindex, as you mention. It is generally attributed to a mint in Gallia, but also assigned to Vienna from what I have read.

Congratulation on your new addition:)!

Alegandron likes this.
  21. Alegandron

Thank you. I forgot to add the Gallic Mint, as metal analysis from Armstrong squarely puts it as Gallic Silver, approx 96% for this series. I had not heard that it was Vienna, though. Great update!

Draft saved Draft deleted