Vindex - Civil War Issue

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Alegandron, May 22, 2017.

1. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I cannot bottle this up anymore. Just too cool of a coin not to post.

This one is kinda hard to get...

upload_2017-5-22_15-18-17.png
    Roman Civil War
    Vindex

AR Denarius, 3.22g, 19mm
    Uncertain mint in Gaul, AD 68. Struck between early March 68 (when he revolted) and May 68 (when he was killed)
    Obv: SALVS GENERIS HVMANI, Victory standing to left on globe, holding palm branch and wreath
    Rev: SPQR within corona civica with circular jewel in bezel at apex.
    Ref: Nicolas 77; RIC 72; BMC 34. BMCRE 34-36 RSC 420
    Ex: Warren Esty

Comments: In CE 68 Vindex in Gaul, revolted against Nero, but had no legions. He asked Galba, in Spain, to help and Vindex quickly raised an army. However, the commander on the Rhine - Germania Superior (Lucius Verginius Rufus) attacked and defeated Vindex, leaving Galba to contest for the empire.

Other Notes: Unusual and distinctive coin due to the lack of a portrait or the titles of a living emperor, this Civil War issue of Vindex defines his revolt clearly; while the obverse proclaims that the uprising is to be the salvation of the people, the reverse hints that Rome will be set free and the days of Augustus restored to the city.
    Although Vindex was defeated, he served to swell popularity for Galba and, sensing this, Nero fled Rome. Shortly after, the Senate decided to oust Nero by declaring him a public enemy, thus spurring his suicide. Consequently, between June 68 AD and December 69 AD, Rome witnessed a period of anarchy and a series of quick successions. Four Emperors ruled in this period: Galba, Otho, Vitellius, and Vespasian, with the latter securing the imperial throne and founding the Flavian dynasty.

Bummer is: I cannot scratch this off the Roman Ruler RIC Scarcity list... :) I reckon it is just a BONUS to my Seutonius Twelve (The 12 Caesars) collection!

Please feel free to post anything from the Civil War against Nero, starting in CE 68 and Year of Four Emperors of 69 CE... Nero, Galba, Otho, Vitellius, Vespasian...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Oh I saw that and was so tempted to bid! Glad it went to a good home :).

gregarious and Alegandron like this.
  4. Alegandron

Thank you. As you know, I enjoy Republic coins, but this one is so cool to me! Resonates with my rebel approach to the Emperors... :D

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Excellent historical coin. I'm currently reading a book (fiction) about this era. I would Love to have bid you up on this coin. Congrats.

Alegandron likes this.
  6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Please forgive me in advance, but the Devil is making me think Vindex is a Vonderful product to use on Vindows. :)

Jwt708, Parthicus, gregarious and 3 others like this.
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Kentucky likes this.
  8. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Great coin. You are lucky I did not see it first! You would have had some competition. Seriously, that is an interesting historical piece. Congrats!

Alegandron likes this.
  9. Alegandron

ACTUALLY, I understand the V in Latin is pronounced as a W, so yeah, his name in English is WINDEX!

However, I see him as a guy that had the guts to stand up in what he believed in, and to revolt against Nero... we are just here talking about it. :)

Smojo and Kentucky like this.
  10. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Awesome coin!

Alegandron likes this.
  11. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Oh. Wow!

Consider me impressed!

Don't have pics of my old Galba LIBERTAS sestertius, so this modest (Spanish mint?) As will have to do.

[​IMG]

And my old Otho denarius.

[​IMG]

My past Vitellian denarii (2) were relatively uninspiring and NGC said one was a fourree, though some on FORVM disputed that.

(Speaking of NGC, it's apparent you're gonna bust that sucker out of the plastic- and good riddance to the ghastly white prongs- but curiosity forces me to ask how they graded and rated it?)

Of Vespasian I've had a few, including a Judea Capta @Aethelred has now. Most if not all were posted recently in a Vespasian thread. I still have that posthumous Vespasian "capricorns" denarius in my Box of 20, but will give y'all a break from seeing it repeatedly.

69 AD sure is fascinating. Probably wasn't too fun to experience, but that's how it goes. The turbulent times always make for more interesting history, don't they? Congrats on that tough acquisition!

12. Alegandron

It is going to get NEKKID!

RI Vindex in Slab - obv.JPG
    RI Vindex in Slab - rev.JPG

When I studied Roman History way back in my University days, I remember the Civil War starting in CE 68 and the Year of Four Emperors in CE 69. I believe THAT was the juncture that I decided I enjoyed Roman REPUBLIC history, and that the Emperors were a turn-off (as a political institution).

Hence, Vindex is of real historical interest to me!

13. Kentucky

Reminds me of Latin class in high school. Veni, Vidi, Vici we were told was pronounced Wayni, Weedi, Weeki except for church Latin where it would be pronounced with the V-sound.

Alegandron likes this.
  14. lordmarcovan

Liberate it!

I might entomb mine, but that's mostly just for "Box of 20" consistency purposes. If I collected only ancients, mine would be gloriously nekkid, too.

I'd have guessed VF there, BTW, at least by American TPG standards, but don't disagree with their grade. That's a moot issue anyway, considering the eye appeal. Again, congrats.

Alegandron likes this.
  15. Alegandron

Hmmm... perhaps later Latin embraced the V sound. Most of the historical interest for me was the REPUBLIC period of Rome, in which I understand the V was pronounced as a W. I am NOT a scholar, so the experts may need to chime in. :)

Kentucky likes this.
  16. Alegandron

Oh, there is no doubt it will be liberated! It is getting NEKKID! (Naked in Yankee-speak). And thanks for the "congrats"!

17. lordmarcovan

Igpay Atinlay was all I learned in school. :oops:

Every single bit of Latin I know came from coins. Thanks for all the education, little buddies.

Alegandron likes this.
  18. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Awesome score!!!

Alegandron likes this.
  19. Kentucky

"There's a big difference between the words, ‘naked’ and ‘nekkid.’ ‘Naked’ means you don't have any clothes on. ‘Nekkid’ means you don't have any clothes on - and you're up to something." Lewis Grizzard

Alegandron likes this.
  20. Alegandron

LOL... hey, the way of me! :D

21. lordmarcovan

Now there's a fine quote from a fellow Jawjuh resident!

(Well, former Jawjuh resident. RIP, L.G. Chili Dawgs Only Bark At Night, indeed.)

Alegandron likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted