Chinese hoarding gold, silver - and aluminum? Interesting story in today's news

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Brett_in_Sacto, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

Seattlite86 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I wouldn't be surprised. I read the article; it was unclear if that was what they were doing, but it sure looks like it. It's a smart economic move on their end, regardless of how annoying and costly it is on ours. They've been working tirelessly to undermine our markets for decades. Their government benefits from cheap labor and enjoying much more control of their industry than we have. I'm curious to hear where the metal ends up.

4. royster

royster southroy

Where i work NAFTA cost 20,000 job's yet cheap labor resulted in very expensive re-work and overtime but i guess that means nothing in the world of corporate greed as long as the share holders are happy.:arghh:

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
  5. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Why is it that if a Mom and Pop store makes a profit that is all apple pie and roses, but if a big corporation makes a profit it is corporate greed'?

imrich, Seattlite86 and Insider like this.
  6. Danjohnson

Danjohnson Well-Known Member

TBTF comes to mind but many other reasons stand out as well. Mostly based on a business's access to the "Wizards" with the alt-P button, bigger appears to get one closer and favored... "Make it rain!"

7. Brett_in_Sacto

You're simplifying it and not looking at HOW the corporation made the money.

A good recent example is Carrier, who just routed 1400 jobs out of the USA down to Mexico via NAFTA. That giant sucking sound Ross Perot warned of...

It isn't that there's never greed - but it's a matter of ethics and the big companies gaming the system with "pay to play" politics.

When I bought my Carrier HVAC system - I was happy to buy a quality US made product - and I did pay a bit of a premium. But that was 15 years ago now.

Next purchase? Probably not.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2016/03/23/hundreds-protest-carriers-move-mexico/82182598/

Seattlite86 and Danjohnson like this.
  8. TheMont

TheMont Well-Known Member

There are a lot of companies that manufacture the parts here in the U.S., but then ship them out to Mexico to be assembled. Why, the much cheaper cost of the labor involved.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  9. tom bronco

tom bronco New Member

A giant corporation is always looking at the very short term bottom line, usually quarterly. They aren't looking at quality of product, pleasing their customers or protecting the environment.

A small family owned business depends on their reputation for customer service, dependability, and running a clean business. They can't compete with price so they have to really be good in all the intangibles.

Big corporations also have so much political power that they can get favorable legislation passed, whereas the small businessman doesn't have a chance. For instance the top ten corporations don't pay a penny of tax.

10. afantiques

A giant corporation is always looking at the very short term bottom line, usually quarterly. They aren't looking at quality of product, pleasing their customers or protecting the environment.

More anti business nonsense. Looking well ahead, improving product quality and having a sound customer base are all basic business essentials. Any company neglecting them will show you how to make a small fortune in business, provided you start with a large one.

Some companies make colossal blunders, certainly. These get a lot of publicity. The usual culprit is a charismatic CEO and too many yes-men on the board. Most successful corporations are not run on fly by night principles. Unsucessful ones can often be turned around by a re-dedication to quality and service.

11. Brett_in_Sacto

Tesla is a perfect example of this. The company charmed Nevada into a sweetheart deal with billions in tax cuts - knowing full well they'd make it up in property taxes, sales taxes - and business taxes to support the expanded infrastructure.

There's no way any company can open up large scale business in any state anymore - without politicians being in their back pockets.

12. afantiques

If you read the whole WSJ article it seems the ultimate victims of all this are the Chinese taxpayers and the Chinese economy. An oligarchic form of government has little effective oversight of the oligarchs, PRC funds have been diverted into a number of fairly senseless enterprises, making losses all along the line, but reaping huge benefits along the way for all the top people involved and their hangers on and fixers.

13. tom bronco

tom bronco New Member

I didn't say that I was anti-business, just that I thought giant corporations looked at the short term. Are you telling me that CEO's don't run these companies to maximize profits to impress Board of Director's and stockholders? As for the corporations that have gone out of business because they did this, the list of the last fifteen years is quite large. I could list them but it would take up too much space.

Tell me about basic business principles such as strip mining that pollutes streams and local ground water. Fracking that also pollutes as well as causing earthquakes. Research the earthquake situation in Oklahoma as a result of fracking. Tell me about all the jobs our corporations took from Americans and sent to China and other dismal places to be done by what amounts to slave labor and some of it done by children.

America has always been at it's greatest when we were a country of a strong middle class made up of small, local business and family farms. As they have dwindled and the giant mega corporations have taken over almost everything, our economic health has fallen to the critical stage. I speak nonsense? You have your head buried in the sand.

14. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

Giant corporations might look at the short term, but their focus is certainly long term. Most corporations have contracts and leases that have 50-year terms. What the CEOs do isn't a fair representation of the company as a whole. It's like Mr 3000, where Bernie Mac could have hit #3000, but instead hit a sac bunt or something, which got his team a mostly irrelevant win. The outcome for the team (Brewers win) was in direct conflict with Mac's personal motivations (#3000 which would have cost them the game but got him in the HOF).

Draft saved Draft deleted