Check Out This Platinum Eagle Coin?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by fretboard, Apr 6, 2021.

1. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

You did

fretboard likes this.
  4. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

It worked for me I think the op put in the=.

fretboard likes this.
  5. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

I can't understand, with such a stellar feedback profile, no-one has jumped on this deal!

fretboard likes this.
  6. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

To be fair, I don't always automatically pass a seller with low stars because that's the spot my eBay is in. I have 67.

People are calling the guy a scammer, two who bought platinum.

I have one bad review, a cancelled item I had crossposted and sold elsewhere.

It's hard to start up

fretboard likes this.
  7. fretboard

Fair enough, so do you think the coin is genuine?? I've seen fake slabs with legit numbers before, so we may never know. :cigar:

Very interesting! :D

tenor.gif

Evan Saltis likes this.
  8. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Lol!
    I think the coin looks OK. Not like I know a single thing about platinum though so my thoughts don't mean a darn thing.

9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

He is from New Jersey---\
    \
    enough said!

fretboard likes this.
  10. fretboard

I forgot to post the pics, the obverse doesn't look right to me at all. What you all think?

optiona.jpg optionb.jpg optionc.jpg

11. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

its in a PCGS holder and you can scan it to see if its legit , unless there's obvious
    signs of tampering I would call it good, but that said by graded bullion is a loser
    anyway, with 5 days left in the auction anything is possible.

fretboard likes this.
  12. ddddd

ddddd Member

The cert number verifies at PCGS
    https://www.pcgs.com/cert/27226455

I think the coin looks real from the photo (details seem to match up with other examples of the same date on the PCGS coin facts website).

fretboard likes this.
  13. mpcusa

I think if if it is a real certification its good to go, on the other hand the seller
    looks like a real flake !

fretboard likes this.
  14. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Wow the price doubled in just 7 hours this is going to be fun to watch,doesn't accept returns stay away.

fretboard likes this.
  15. fretboard

I finally got around to taking my time and looking it up on PCGS, same as your link. No pic! 112.gif

ddddd likes this.
  16. mpcusa

That’s a misnomer, you are protected by the
    eBay guarantee even if it says no returns
    you can simply say it was not as described
    and he must take it back, if you go the honest
    route, you will have the option to leave
    negative feedback, and that’s as good as
    shooting yourself in the head...LOL

17. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

I can't find anything wrong with it short of evident slab tampering, Here's a link to a different one PR69, but same coin and slabbing labels.

https://juliancoin.com/collections/platinum-eagles

Barcode and label looked "off" to me, but after looking at another one, and others with this mint director, I think either that's how it was done, or.... there's more than a couple fakes. LOL.

I think it's just as legit as any other on there as far as anyone is able to tell, started it at $1.00 though... some balls I think!

18. fretboard

Well I like that you were able to find a pic of another Platinum 2012 that's in a signature series slab as they seem to be fairly scarce! :inpain: That's one of the reasons why I thought it was a fake. I've been wrong before as we all know! :shame: What's different is some 2012 Platinum one ounce coins graded by PCGS are in the signature series slabs in 2012 and some are in their standard slabs. Maybe the signature series slabs were part of a summer special, idk! ;)

John Burgess likes this.
  19. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

you ain't wrong, PCGS I dunno, just nonsensical when it comes to this. the base total is 1777 graded. 728 first strike, many sub categories under the base, for "engraver series" "signature moy" "signature mercanti" "signature Hall"

nothing for Mint Director signature series, or for Diehl in there at all.

On the other hand, most of them are like 2-10 examples, so I don't think they have this even remotely correct on their populations.

I found 2000W Platinum Mint director series PR69 at APMEX. So I mean clearly they didn't do this thing in any set year let's say. https://www.apmex.com/product/218902/2000-w-1-oz-proof-american-platinum-eagle-pr-69-pcgs-diehl

I found this: https://www.pcgs.com/news/pcgs-signs-former-mint-director-diehl-for-autographed-coin-projects
    this was as eary as 2004 when they signed him.

it says at the end "Certified, autographed coin products in the Mint Directors Series and American Heroes Series are offered for sale to the public by third-party vendors, not by PCGS." so I'd think we, the public, couldn't buy that label for our submissions.

So maybe it was a home shopping TV thing or something and they don't keep it that clear in their census..... what a mess trying to figure that out.

fretboard likes this.
  20. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Different labels are the norm. Bulk submitters and bigger submitters can have special labels made for their submission that are exclusive to them

ddddd and fretboard like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted