Check before you buy, this its cheap insurance, check it out...

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by mpcusa, Jan 13, 2023.

1. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I bought one of these a while back and thought I would re introduce it to some of the novices that have just started collecting GOLD or SILVER and want to be sure its the
    real McCoy, a rare earth magnet like the one below sells for about $6 on the bay
    highly recommended !!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I just looked up rare earth magnet, because while I've heard of them, I know next to nothing about all that. How are they supposed to work for gold and silver testing?

5. rte

rte Well-Known Member

It's an easy first test, neither of the PM's stick to a magnet.
    Silver is diamagnetic and can be manipulated by a strong magnet.

6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Oh, so you could sort of do the same test with any magnet, then? But it's just that the rare earth magnet is stronger? Is that the correct gist of it?

What do you mean when you say silver can be manipulated by a strong magnet?

Edit: I just looked up diamagnetism, too. Do I gather correctly that a strong enough magnet will repel silver?

7. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

I use the REM that are shaped like a button battery.

If you get a silver Morgan Dollar or a silver Victoria Crown, put it on a table and slant it at a 45 degree angle and put the REM at the top of the coin it should slide down really slowly if real silver.
    A non magnetic copy or fake the REM will slide off fast..

Warning; don't put your REM near your smart phone, it will wipe the contents, the same can happen to your car fob

lordmarcovan likes this.
  8. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

A ferritic magnet is much less expensive, saves the neodymium for more critical applications, and meets the same need.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
  9. rte

rte Well-Known Member

ferritic magnet not being as strong Yes?
    I find it easier to get a silver dollar to move with a neodymium.

10. ToughCOINS

Just use a larger ferritic magnet.

11. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Anyone else cringe when the guy slid the magnet down the face of the coins?
    "I thought this one was fake when I bought it because it was in such good condition"

Thats like the guy who says just grab any detergent soap and rub it into the surface with your fingers. Then rinse it the same way...
    It won't hurt the coin.

-jeffB and Heavymetal like this.
  12. ToughCOINS

I didn't watch, but yeah, that is cringe-worthy.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

It's going around. I have a couple of coins that were MS until the pawn shop guy dragged them across the gritty counter. :mad:

Pickin and Grinin and rte like this.
  14. -jeffB

Not really. If the magnet and coin are both stationary, there's no force exerted. But if you move a strong magnet near a highly conductive metal object (or vice versa), they'll resist the movement. The thicker the metal, the more pronounced the effect.

I have an old hard drive magnet assembly with a slot between two strong magnets, just the right size to pass a coin. Nickels drop through at a normal speed. Silver dimes fall slightly slower than clad. Quarters fall more slowly, halves even more slowly, and dollars slowest of all.

The copper core of a clad coin is almost as conductive as silver, so the difference between clad and silver is less than you'd expect. But solid cupronickel is easy to distinguish. So is steel, of course, which just sticks.

But the slowest coin I've ever tried is a small aluminum foreign piece. Relative to its weight, aluminum is more conductive than silver, and it absolutely crawls through the slot.

Once the crises slow down, I should make a video...

15. rte

rte Well-Known Member

I tried a few times to add a short video but it says video too big.
    It's seven seconds. Maybe it can't be done here using to much space.

16. -jeffB

No, CoinTalk doesn't let you upload video directly. Upload it to YouTube and use the little filmstrip icon to include it in your post.

17. rte

rte Well-Known Member

There lies the problem. All those places want access to photos and media.
    Is that just the picture or video you want to upload or is that free reign to all of my pictures and stuff on my phone?
    Screenshot_20230114-150834.png

18. Sting 60

Sting 60 Well-Known Member

This works great for coins. I keep the coin in a flip so there isn't any damage to the surfaces. It is about 2.5 inches x 5.5 inches.
    20230114_190740.jpg

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  19. -jeffB

Just the ones you select for uploading. If you don't grant that permission, there's no way for the app to read and upload the files.

I've never uploaded a video from the YouTube app, though. I've only done it through a web browser or (I think) directly from my phone's gallery.

Draft saved Draft deleted