Cheapest way to purchase silver bullion

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by icollectoldmoney, Mar 4, 2015.

1. icollectoldmoney

icollectoldmoney ANA Member:3192499

what are the cheapest website or company to buy silver bullion from in 1oz bars or 1oz coins just wanting to see what are the best options on bullion purchasing.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Well try JMBullion if you want to purchase more the 100$ or Aydin if you want one or two - Ebay is ridiculous with their shill bidders pushing bullion coins over 24$ for an ASE or a MPL!

4. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

Why not try placing a WTB on here?
    I got a good price on some older Libertads from a nice member on here.
    And some nice gold for spot, too.

5. icollectoldmoney

i am not wanting to buy right now just wanting to get opinions on where to purchase from when i do want to but thanks for the idea harris498

6. Govt Mule

Govt Mule New Member

You might want to start following https://comparesilverprices.com. Very concise snapshot of numerous sellers and real time pricing. Also promos are advertised often on the site

Gilbert, Kip Caven and imrich like this.
  7. icollectoldmoney

thanks for the help I just dont want to get ripped off like I have been getting on ebay.

Kip Caven likes this.
  8. krispy

krispy krispy

Apart from buying when the market price is low and supply available, the "cheapest way" is to purchase in volume. By that I mean, buy a lot of coin bullion, rolls vs single coins, boxes vs rolls. For U.S. bullion (ASE), compare costs of these coins in "monster boxes" from those dealers who are also Mint authorized purchasers. Anything less than such volume of these boxes or from a dealer who is not an AP, will generally cost more and thus is not the cheapest.

If you compare prices of five ASE coins to that of a single ATB bullion coin, you will also see the price is cheaper buying ATB, so you could also compare costs of ATB monster boxes sold by APs.

I don't suppose you have enough saved up nor want to work toward saving that amount in order to find the cheapest price but the idea is to avoid smaller amounts and completely avoid fractional bullion. If you want small quantities of silver, less than an ounce, buy junk silver. Never pay the premium for half ounce bullion coins or smaller such things marketed by bullion dealers.

Similarly, rather than buying individual 1 oz. bars, go bigger! 10 oz, 100 oz, kilo bars. The time you spend saving up to buy larger quantities is worth the savings compared to buying little by little and loosing to additional fees over time. Just remember that larger quantities bought at better price per ounce, can also be harder to liquidate if you suddenly find the need to sell a large bar or vast quantity of coined bullion. Large quantities of silver also take up much more storage space than does gold or platinum, so keep this in mind as you add to your holdings.

This is another good reference site for protecting yourself by reading ratings of dealers: BullionDealerData.com

Kip Caven likes this.
  9. icollectoldmoney

thanks for all the help so far keep your opinions coming on the cheapest way to buy silver I am just a young buck looking for help from the old timers.

10. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

Provident Metals, JmBullion, SdBullion, Apmex. There will also occasionally be deals on Ebay worth buying. (but wait for sales!)

11. icollectoldmoney

will do i have bought of lot of grams off ebay but now I am going to focus on ounces of silver.

12. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Re storage, $1000 face value of 90% pretty much fills a standard 5" x 10" safety deposit box, and it weighs about 68 pounds, more or less. With precise stacking inside the box, you might squeeze in $100 more. I will "second" a previous contributor's reminder that 10 or 100 ounce bars are HIGHLY illiquid, and that in an emergency, virtually NO ONE can "make change" for them, nor are they likely to, even if they could.

Go with 90% dimes and forget about the present inconvenience. Forget about aesthetics, too. Our credit union charges $37/year for a 5 x 10. A (clad) dime a day, provided you're comfortable with your stash in a bankbox.

13. icollectoldmoney

so it is better to buy smaller then the bigger bars and should i start buying silver dimes.

14. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Depends on whether you want to be a stacker or a numismatist. Regardless, I think surely you will AGREE that 10 or 100 ounce bars are highly illiquid for everyday commerce, whereas silver dimes are perfect. That's my only point.

15. icollectoldmoney

I want to be a numismatist i dont just want to buy silver to stack it at all.

16. ROLLJUNKIE

ROLLJUNKIE Active Member

Sorry my friend but you just don't get to have your cake and eat it too. Numismatics aren't tied to intrinsic value. There is no magical middle road you can walk to buy for numismatics and pm investing. REGARDLESS of what some may try to have you believe. Pick a road and stick to it. Good luck.

Kip Caven likes this.
  17. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

I'd try maybe mercury dimes or walking liberty half dollars if you want a coin that has the possibility to gain numismatic value while being relatively close to spot at the moment.

18. icollectoldmoney

thanks for all the info I have been looking around on different websites anybody know a website where i can buy silver from and they have free shipping with out a minimum to buy.

19. galapac

galapac Seeking Knowledge

The best one I know of that usually beats most online sellers is JMBullion. They have free shipping but you have to at least spend $100.00. I don't know of any online seller that doesn't have a minimum requirement. You also have to be on the lookout for the occasional eBay deals. Follow the latest deals thread on this site for those. Also paying by check is wiser as all dealers charge more for credit card orders unless it is an online auction deal. It takes longer foe your check to clear but it's worth it in the long run. You can usually pay by eCheck if your bank allows that to save a stamp plus envelope.

20. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

Most sites with free shipping are going to have a minimum to buy, if I were you I'd save up to a $100 before buying.

If you just want to buy 1 or 2 oz I'd recommend silvertowne, they have free shipping on their 1 oz bar, current price is $19.10

21. icollectoldmoney

ok thanks for the help i got to check how much i got and start spending wisely instead of on things that look good to me which i did here recently on ebay with silver grams.

Draft saved Draft deleted