[Championship] #4 ancientcoinguru vs #27 Severus Alexander

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Oct 23, 2018.

?

Please vote on the coin you think wins in each of the following categories. 3 votes per voter

Poll closed Oct 26, 2018.
  1. Eye appeal (#4 ancientcoinguru)

32 vote(s)
    51.6%
  2. Best bargain (#4 ancientcoinguru)

24 vote(s)
    38.7%
  3. Historical or numismatic interest (#4 ancientcoinguru)

39 vote(s)
    62.9%
  4. Eye appeal (#27 Severus Alexander)

31 vote(s)
    50.0%
  5. Best bargain (#27 Severus Alexander)

36 vote(s)
    58.1%
  6. Historical or numismatic interest (#27 Severus Alexander)

22 vote(s)
    35.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Y'know... those actually look pretty cool as a cooktop backsplash! Perhaps I should make some terracotta tiles copying aes signata...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Ha! That would actually be pretty awesome to have aes signata replicas as a backsplash.

One day I'll convince my wife to let me build a Roman style bathroom in our next house!
    IMG_6677.JPG
    Like this...
    IMG_6678.JPG
    :)

4. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

5. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Arrgh!!! Defeated by the Jedi!!

:inpain:

As you can see, I have doffed my helmet, conceding to ancientcoinguru, Jedi Master. The force is strong in this one. We actually had a little pm conversation before this round. I figured acg would play this coin, and predicted to her that I'd get slaughtered. :dead: Always nice to be proven right, yes? ;)

Congratulations, @ancientcoinguru!! As you know I've admired your Olbian monster coin since I saw it last year, and my admiration has only increased. Way to win the tournament in style!! I must say I'm also very pleased to see you strike a powerful blow in favour of a better gender balance here on the board. :punch:

Erm, well... it's more like after facing @Jwt708, @panzerman, @iamtiberius, and @Cucumbor, I had nearly run out of gas!! :hurting: Not that I don't love my Rhodian tet. :cat: Unlike Q who hasn't spoken to his Athens tet since last year, I've been giving my Colossus plenty of much needed attention. ("Don't say that you're cheap, tiny and ugly, you know that's not true! Yes, I know nobody bought that story that you're the face of the Colossus, but we know better. There, there. I still love you, please don't cry...")

Geez, it's taken me a day and a half to recover from reading that!! :nailbiting:

Um, a real beauty you bumped us with there, @Curtisimo... o_O :rolleyes: :p

Okeedoke, electrum medal it is. But that is pretty cool. I mean, gold medals are a dime a dozen, right? Every pole vaulter, ping-pong player, and chess player has one or two of those. But electrum? SUPER special. Yes. That was my intention all along...

:bigtears:

Thanks to all the competitors, voters, and especially to our organizer and master of ceremonies, @Curtisimo the Great!!!

P.S. And check out what I was the underbidder on in Wednesday's CNG...

[​IMG]
    (Sold for $850. :arghh:)

ycon, TIF, dlhill132 and 7 others like this.
  6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

You are pure style @Severus Alexander ! Well played Tourny, excellent coins, super write ups, and a great coin friend. Well done.

@ancientcoinguru has incredible coins and played well! Congrats!

TIF, Severus Alexander and Curtisimo like this.
  7. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

:D

After trying to use Jedi mind tricks on @Cucumbor with talk of military defeat is Canada really conceding before the final bell rings?? For shame Darth Vader! :eek:

The current score
    acg - 93
    SA - 80

You've made up some substantial headway in the last 12 hours and there is still time left on the clock.

I will also say that you absolutely had a grueling path to victory! I promise I didn't plan it that way Canada! (USA! USA!!) :bag::shifty:Every opponent you faced could have easily made the final four. It was a truly masterful game on your part win or lose. Both you and acg are worthy champions in every sense of the word :)

I think during the triumph I'm going to ask people what their favorite coin of the tournament was out of the few I thought stood out. I bet Themistocles ranks high on that list!

......................................​

...also there is still two hours left to vote everyone!!! Last chance!

8. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Tough one! My votes may change several times before this is done!

Severus Alexander and Curtisimo like this.
  9. Severus Alexander

Oh wow, now it's 93 to 86... maybe you're right and I conceded too soon! :wideyed:

Curtisimo and Justin Lee like this.
  10. Severus Alexander

Never mind. Edged out instead. :D I'm glad it got exciting at the end.

To reiterate, though: congrats, acg!!!

Curtisimo likes this.
  11. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Wow that one got exciting! The contest went from a blow out to a neck-in-neck race decided by only 2 peoples worth of votes!

I really wish I would have kept a running tally of what the score was on day 1, 2 and 3 now.

Results

Championship_logo.jpg

One of the stars of the 2018 tournament - forced to run an imposing gauntlet of competitors that included @Jwt708 , @panzerman , @iamtiberius and @Cucumbor ! A truly fantastic series of write-ups and coins. Earning the Electrum medal for his effort in representing Canada like a boss...

#27 @Severus Alexander - 89

Playing everything from tiny silver obols to monster bronze dinner plates - our 2018 winner did a fantastic job of showing the wide breadth of her collecting interest and knowledge. Her coins consisted of Greek, Roman client states, Medieval, and Roman Imperial! She showed her strategic savvy and impeccable coin taste at every stage. Introducing this year's mighty Imperator in all her glorious majesty...

#4 @ancientcoinguru - 95 Winner

SA won the bargain category and contested closely in the eye appeal category while acg took the interest category by enough margin to come out on top! Truly a great match! Thank you to both of you - both are great coin friends to boot!

Stay tuned for the triumph!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    Orielensis, chrsmat71, Ajax and 12 others like this.
  12. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

What a finish! And what a match! :wideyed:

Congrats to @ancientcoinguru on a most well-deserved victory. All your coins were fantastic, but you really saved the best for last. All Hail our new Imperatrix!!

And, of course, kudos to @Severus Alexander for playing an impeccable game, and for entertaining and educating us with all those excellent writeups.

13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

What a fantastic match and a great finale to this remarkable tournament!

Congratulations to @ancientcoinguru on a tournament well played! That Olbian cast coin is stunning :).

I can't praise @Severus Alexander enough for his educational and entertaining writeups-- that's not an easy thing to do once, much less five times!

:eek:

That tub holds more water than I use in an entire month! My cistern would run dry after just a few baths.

14. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Congratulations @ancientcoinguru !

Great strategy saving the perfect coin for the finale!

A fun and educational tournament again.

John

15. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

From the begining to the final round that tournament has been exceptionnal. I consider myself honored for having been beaten by a top coin connoisseur like @Severus Alexander. Seeing him kneeling in front of @ancientcoinguru gives an idea of how talented she is either in her collecting choices and writeup skills.

Bravo !!

Q

16. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

This tournament has been totally boss. Epic coins, epic write ups!!

Congrats to all!:cool:

Erin

17. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Well played all the way through this tournament @ancientcoinguru !!
    You certainly have fantastic taste and a wonderful collection.

Be happy and be proud.

I know this is a fun little competition .. - obviously not including myself in this - BUT remember that many experts from many parts of the world have weighed in as well..

I hope you pour a glass of wine and take a little moment to enjoy the victory.
    Well deserved!!

Curtisimo and Alegandron like this.
  18. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Could not have been two finer contestants in championship match. Both gave it their all, congratulations to ancientcoinguru:).....but also too Severus Alexander:)!
    And a BIG hand too Curtisimo for all his hard work in making this contest so much fun. No one will ever have to say, "Make coin collecting great again"......since it has been, is now and forever will be the, "Greatest hobby on the planet"
    John
    a momento for SA (this was my first ever aureus) 640fd9c521eb631e0a49cdb407049d47.jpg

19. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Hear, hear! :)

Bow before your new QUEEN, everyone! :D

ycon, Curtisimo, Justin Lee and 4 others like this.
  20. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

How about "Empress"

21. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Imperatress...? (Since the Romans abhored the concept of Queen or King)

Draft saved Draft deleted