Certain bullion always on sale, does this mean it's not a great deal?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by myownprivy, Nov 20, 2018.

1. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

Certain bullion seems to always be on sale, does this mean it's not as good of a deal as it seems? By investigating buy back prices you can see it's not /really/ that on sale.

What are some examples of bullion that seems to be a good deal but really isn't?

How else do you verify if something is a good deal or not?
    Ebay sales history
    Bullion dealers posted buy back prices
    Starting threads on cointalk and reddit for community opinion

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

There is no such thing as a good deal in bullion. There are only less bad deals.

Clawcoins likes this.
  4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I agree with Kurt. Bullion is not a wise purchase in terms of monetary returns. Personally, I like the stuff and because I like the stuff, my kids and grandkids will have a hoard to plunder when I leave this party. In the meantime, I simply enjoy having the history at close proximity. If I were looking for a wise place to store wealth to do some work for me, I would look elsewhere.

SilverMike likes this.
  5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Well from my buying experience. Government issue bullion is always more money (american silver eagles and maple leafs). Generic silver/gold is always less money because it is not recognized around the world. Agreed as to silver not being that great as an investment. For me I am stacking slowly as a small form of stored wealth only to be sold in a case of emergency in the far future.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    longarm and AUAGBUG like this.
  6. V. Kurt Bellman

And generic always brings lower offers, too.

7. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

^^ ditto from above. I've actually stopped small stacking. I figured, why bother? But I still buy the bullion based coins that I like to collect because they are neat coins PLUS bullion just in case of the world apocalypse and I need to melt it all to make bullets.

Nyatii likes this.
  8. V. Kurt Bellman

You and the Lone Ranger, huh?

9. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

The US MINT doesn't make Lead coins.
    So ... silver and gold it is.

Don't worry though ... if you are on the receiving end at least you can't say you went broke ...

longarm likes this.
  10. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

If it comes to the apocalypse....bullion will be worth nothing. food, water, medicine, guns and ammo will be the new money. IF WW3 happens we will probably all be dead.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  11. V. Kurt Bellman

If the societal breakdown apocalypse ever comes, I'm dead by Day 10 anyway due to no prescription meds. Kinda takes the urgency off of stacking, y'know?

AUAGBUG likes this.
  12. KevinM

KevinM Well-Known Member

guns and ammo will be the new money/gold standard in hard times.I am Rich!!

Nyatii and spirityoda like this.
  13. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

There may be a post-apocalyptic glut of guns, bullets and silver, but the material they make girdles out of may be in short supply. And people will have to appear as though they are starving when they go outside while they are really feasting on freeze dried raccoon and homemade beer distilled with low rad water.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    JCKTJK and CasualAg$ like this.
  14. CasualAg$

CasualAg$ Corvid Minions Collecting

I see you've thought this through, longnine009. I will start a side stack of 3/8" spiral steel corset boning, taking advantage of Black Friday deals.

longnine009 likes this.
  15. CasualAg$

I agree that PMs will be less useful during the chaotic phase of the Apocalypse but isn't that why god invented guns? After the herd gets thinned, again, PMs and guns will make a nice start for a more cooperative, polite, society.

For the present, they're the best hedge against the collapse of our debt-based economy or loss of reserve currency status. Buying silver direct from a private mint or getting government issue silver through a trusted source, is probably the least "bad" deal. Having a mix of bullion coins/bars is just part of a diverse investment plan. And, you get some beautiful coins and art bars in the process.

spirityoda and longarm like this.
  16. V. Kurt Bellman

An armed Kindergarten is a polite Kindergarten, I always say. o_O

harrync likes this.
  17. harrync

harrync Well-Known Member

Depends on the type of apocalypse. If it is just financial [as opposed to total societal breakdown], ASE's and AGE's may be nice to have. That is based on my experience in "mini financial apocalypses": power/phone/internet goes out at store. Clerk shouts "We can't take credit/debit cards or checks, but anyone with cash, come to the front of the line." Buyer with cash, that's me. As my late Uncle used to say "Rich or poor, it's good to have money."

18. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

people with end times fantasies always think they'll survive multiple firefights safe and secure in their homes. totally delusional

spirityoda and V. Kurt Bellman like this.
  19. CasualAg$

I never wrote I’d survive. Nor did I mention “end times” or any other religious fantasies.

Delusion is where you imagine it is, I guess.

Mr Roots likes this.
  20. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

These threads frequently become preppers talking about prepping or rational people making fun of them. Yet none of you are being polite and staying on topic.

21. CasualAg$

I'm new to CT but, above, I wrote the little I think I know about buying silver or gold.

The fact that you separate peppers from rational folks may have tipped your hand about politeness.

Mr Roots likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted