Cause of Red Spots on Gold Coins

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by desertgem, Aug 26, 2010.

1. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I am not disagreeing with you Doug, just asking questions. Given the fact Spock pointed out that .999 or .9999 is recent, does anyone have any darkly toned .999 coins? You showed some wonderful coins, but they aren't pure gold. Refining technology at that age simply wasn't able to produce that fine of gold. Given that silver will tone black with age, would it be possible for a small inclusion of silver, (found naturally in gold), could cause gold coins to darken?

I have observed the same gold coins toning as you Doug. Maybe not as long, but for a long time. I am open to either idea really, that either age and environmental gases cause gold to tone, (gold is not completely inert, just mostly inert), or metal impurities impart the tone. I would just like to know. One picture stays in my mind, that of a newly dug up pot of Roman gold coins, and they were bright gold. Maybe atmospheric gases are the cause?

Chris

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

Yes, it does make sense to me. That is exactly what the OP stated - it is Ag2S and Ag2SO4 which create the toning colors.

As the Good Science in the OP states, toning can come from small amounts of impurities. My hunch is the modern Pandas are purer than the medieval pieces (which are magnificent, I'll add).

Another explanation on the 500 year old gold is surface contact, including organic and non-organic sources, can contribute to color on the coin.

4. 900fine

I would like to give a big Shout Out THANK YOU to DesertGem for the outstanding OP. :high5:

5. 900fine

No, but a .999 fine Panda developed spots, as do Maple Leafs, Philharmonics, and AGEs. And First Lady coins, I suppose.

6. medoraman

Agreed. Excellent Post Desert, thank you.

7. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

is that the toned gold or silver coin worth more?.

8. 900fine

Good question.

We must distinguish between "toned" and "spotted". I would think spotted coins almost always bring less than non-spotted coins.

Toned coins, on the other hand, usually bring more.

However, bullion people - who are often investors more than numismatists - may prefer untoned or perhaps not care... or even notice, since they often treat buying and selling as a commodity and don't always check the coin(s) closely.

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

spock is wrong. So are you. The ability to refine gold to at least the level we do today has existed for 2000 years, maybe longer. And if you look those coins up that I posted, what you will find is that the fineness level is listed 1.000%. That's in the modern books mind you.

Do not underestimate the ability the ancients had. They could pick and choose the purity level they wished to achieve and hit it right on the button every single time. This is easily proved by assaying the coins today, with todays technology. They even had the ability to do things back then that we still can't do.

For example - every heard of a touch stone or a karat needle ? 2000 years ago they had the ability to measure the fineness of gold with great accuracy in about 2 seconds. You know of anybody who can do that today even with the most advanced technology ?

Touch stones and karat needles are what allowed the money changers that Jesus threw out of the temple to stay in business. Because they allowed them to measure, very accurately the fineness of gold in an instant. Below are pics -

Attached Files:

lucyray likes this.
  10. medoraman

Ok, I will research it. I know the US didn't have any kind of capability like that for most of its history. You say that .9999 is doable for the last 2000 years, how come only a couple of mints can do it still today? Most bullion is .999.

I have never, ever, seen ancient coins have such purity levels, even of coins they meant to be pure gold. .99 maybe, not .9999. Are you saying the touchstone can differentiate between .99 and .9999? I thought touchstones could tell the difference between "pure" gold and about .9 or .95 gold or the like, not advanced degrees of fineness as we are talking.

I am all about reminding people of technologies ancients had, vending machines, batteries, electroplating, etc. I just find .9999 gold a stretch. Just because your book lists 1.000 does not mean it is correct to significant digits. Where is the book's metallurgical data coming from? The fact the mint meant for it to be 1.000? Hard to list that, isn't it, when no mint on planet earth with today's technology can achieve such a feat?

11. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I didn't know that. Very interesting history lesson. But when you think about it, it makes sense that the money systems of the time would have required this ability to operate.

12. Info Sponge

Info Sponge Junior Member

Do any ancients ever show the same kind of discoloration, namely red spots and splotches, as is showing up on contemporary bullion coins? That's a different animal from overall darkening.

13. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

I will tell you what its a flight of fantasy to believe that old coins were 100 % pure gold and to say that it was doable for 2000 years well that sure leaves me speechless. without scientific data one can say anything one likes one can even say the gold is 101 % like some of the smiths do here when it comes to testing we find they actually meant 51 %. People can believe whatever they want to believe. Pure gold cannot tone with anything that is found on earth. all the people involved with metallurgy are not fools. It is preposterous to think that as coin colletors we are the be all and end all of the metals.

all the points you have raised are valid ones

14. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

exactly event he buffaloes had the problem one year and that was due to process of finishing the coins. that cannot be used to say pure gold coins tone.

15. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

yes but what is forgotten as in any balancing system you measure pound to pound so if your measuring pound is contaminated so will your subject :)

case in point you bring one kilo of gold saying its pure so i pull out my 1 kilo counterbalance which due to technology limitations is also impure and viola we have a perfect match and everyone is happy.

what we are all forgetting is that pure gold is very soft and it would be impossible to coin it without mixing impurities into it. go to any jeweller and ask them if they will make you gold ornaments in 100 % gold and see what they say.

16. 900fine

A kilo of pure gold perfectly balances a kilo of impure gold.

Or a kilo of pure lead.

Or a kilo of feathers.

A kilo of anything balances a kilo of anything else.

A kilo is a kilo is a kilo.

lucyray likes this.
  17. GDJMSP

You are making an assumption. It's not that they can't do it, it's that they choose not to do it.

Then you need to so some research because pure gold coin of that age do exist. As I said above - the coins have been tested in today's world with today's technology and those that they chose to make pure - were proven to be pure.

No, I am not saying that a touchstone can differentiate between .990 and .995. Karat needles were more accurate and they could differentiate between 23 karat and 24 karat. 24 karat gold, even today, is considered to be pure gold. Do you dispute that ?

More importantly, and this is what truly proves that the ancients could do anything they wanted to do in regard to the purity of the metal, they could choose the fineness they wanted to 4 decimal points (.9860 for example), and have it be exactly right every time. Now do you really think that if they could do that, that they could not make it be 1.000 if they so desired ?

The fineness of gold, and silver for that matter, were established by the ruling authority to be whatever they wanted it to be. It was not established by a lack of ability to make it pure.

Again - you are making assumptions, false assumptions. I'll use your argument - show me the book or research that says the mints cannot do this ? And yes I can show you mine, check Friedberg, check Krause. And above all use your own common sense. If they had the ability to even measure to 4 decimal places and maintain that exact level of purity for hundreds of years on the same coin - then is it even remotely logical to assume they could not achieve 1.000 fineness if they wished ?

18. GDJMSP

Yes they do. I don't have any pictures to show you of very, very old ones. About 400 years old would be the oldest I had in my collection but they were not pure gold either. .986 was the level of fineness for the ones I have pics of with spots.

19. GDJMSP

Hardly - it would in fact be much easier to mint pure gold. There were two reasons and only two reasons that the purity of the metal was ever reduced. 1 - so the coins would last longer in circulation and 2 - to increase the seigniorage.

20. medoraman

I will research it and get back to you Doug. The main point is it becomes the increasing difficulty in extracting the trace metals that naturally occur in gold. It is a geometric progression. Could ancients do .99, Yeah I would say so. .999 would be very difficult and most of the time not worth it. .9999 I believe would be impossible given their technology. It is extremely hard for modern science to achieve this cheaply. 1.000 is only possible if you round, even today. To say gold is truly pure, with not an atom of impurity, is almost impossible unless you want to pay a million dollars an ounce. You have to vaporize it, trap off the gases at different points, then cool and do it again.

Blending to 4 decimal places is easy, start with the same .99 gold, so the impurities are the same, and blend in your silver and you will have 4 decimal place accuracy. This is NOT the same as making .9999 gold, let alone 1.000 gold. So no, I do not believe Krause or Friedberg saying 1.000 gold. I would not believe a modern bullion coin saying 1.000 gold unless they admit they are rounding.

Btw 24 carat is called pure gold, but its just a convenient name. It means .99 or .999 gold effectively, gold that is as pure as economically feasible and not interntionally diluted.

21. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

Gold will combine with other elements to form compounds. Look it up in any inorganic chemistry book (unfortunately, mine are all packed away. Otherwise, I'd cite specific examples). The only elements that won't combine with others are the noble gases, and even then Xe is known to form compounds.
    As far as purity, there is no known room temperature solid element that is perfectly pure. Yes, you can get 6 or 7 nines purity (99.9999 or 99.99999%) if you are willing to work hard enough (i.e., spend a lot of $$ getting those purity level). So IMO, even pure gold, when exposed to appropriate contaminants (e.g., sulfur) will tone at some point.

Draft saved Draft deleted