Capped Bust Dimes: A New Adventure

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by NSP, Jul 12, 2018.

1. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Last year I posted about tentatively completing my 1815-1828 bust quarter set. While I doubt I'll ever be able to completely stop buying them, I decided to try to assemble a well circulated capped bust dime set with the goal of putting them into the corresponding Dansco album (#6121). For the time being I don't want to afford the 1809, 1811/09, or 1822, and if I did ever buy them I would want them to be certified. Fortunately the 1809 and 1811/09 are on the first page of the album (with all of the expensive draped bust dimes), so I can easily ignore them or remove the first page entirely. I may get an 1822 Spanish or Mexican 1 real to fill the hole for the 1822. This leaves a total of 28 holes in the album for various dates and varieties.

My goal was to get well circulated coins that had an original appearance and without issues too severe for the grade. So far I've gotten 9 dimes since December, and I'm quite pleased with what I have so far and wanted to share them.

Something slightly interesting I've noticed after trolling eBay listings for several months is that the bust dimes tend to show up holed more frequently than the bust quarters do. It also seems that the quarters are more often encountered with improper cleaning than the dimes are.

Here's what I have so far (I recognize the images are not great):

1821 dime, large date, JR-4, R2

1821 large date dime.jpg

1823/2 dime, large E's, JR-2, R4+

1823 dime.jpg

1824/2 dime, flat top 1 in "10 C.", JR-1, R2

1824 dime.jpg

1831 dime, JR-1, R1

1831 dime.jpg

1832 dime, JR-1, R1

1832 dime.jpg

1833 dime, last 3 high, JR-5, R1

1833 dime.jpg

1834 dime, large 4, JR-6, R2

1834 large 4 dime.jpg

1834 dime, small 4, JR-7, R2

1834 small 4 dime.jpg

1836 dime, JR-3, R3

1836 dime.jpg

And a group picture of my first seven before they were put in the album.

bust dimes.jpg

longshot, Wingnut6999, ldhair and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

I'm using Early United States Dimes 1796-1837 for attributing and find it quite easy using this book. Some of the rarity ratings are a little outdated (especially for the varieties that were discovered in the few years preceding the publishing of the book. The main drawback is that since the book was published in 1984 it can be a bit tough to find and fairly pricey to buy (through from what I have read the price was far higher before the Bust Dime Variety Identification Guide was published in 2015). I definitely recommend this book to collectors of early U.S. coins.

EUSD.jpg

NOS likes this.
  4. TONYBRONX

TONYBRONX Active Member

5. Eduard

Eduard Supporter** Supporter

You have the foundation of a well matched set of CBD's. I like the 1823 in particular, still missing that one.
    As you mention, the 1809, 1811 and obviously 1822 are the keys and difficult to obtain. I think you would have much less trouble with the 1811. Another one that I found somewhat difficult was the 1828 Large Date (large diameter, JR-2). For some reason that one tends to be priced beyond its true scarcity (in my opinion).
    Wish you much success with your search - its a great series to collect. And that reminds me, I have not added a Bust Dime to my collection for a while..

NSP likes this.
  6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & odd Moderator

I like the look of the 1836 here. The row of them all together looks appealing, too.

Fun. I do like early US type coins, though I don't foresee myself collecting any by date and/or variety.

I did, however, nearly complete a date set of holed Bust halves once- likewise a set of holey large cents- during my "holey" coin collecting craze. Lacked only four years in the large cents: 1793, 1795, 1799, and 1804.

NSP likes this.
  7. Wingnut6999

Wingnut6999 Active Member

Capped bust are my fav. I had 3 halves but had to let them go. Still sore from kicking myself. Restarting my collection and can't wait to find the right first one. Great collection.

NSP likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted