Featured Can you decipher this unusual love token and the meaning?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kazuma78, Aug 4, 2021.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Often turns out to be the case. Such was the Victorian (or in this case, somewhat earlier) culture of the time.

kazuma78 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

I give up, just going to take a guess.
    the writing suggests someone well trained in handwriting, specifically Victorian font. and that it was likely carved both at the same time by the same person. it's too similar for it to have been done on different occasions or by different people maybe a son or something memorializing their father, and a wife by maiden name that died young, grieving over the loss of his wife and remembering his father that died 12 years earlier while he's at it? I can guess, as to why this would be done, by what it is and what it appears like.

Definitely it's a memorial coin, it's only 12 years difference between the deaths, 25 years of age between the two names though, and unrelated names. the most likely scenario is it's someone father, and maybe a wife (abbreviated first name to E. could be a woman for that reason, could also be a long name like
    Elizabeth Nicholson and didn't even try to make it fit on there. The different last name suggests a maiden name as a possibility also which a grieving husband might do rather than memorialize his wife with his last name and choose to remember the girl he met instead.....

Hard to say. maybe some dudes father dies when he's 18, he meets his love and marries her and is happy and at age 30 she dies, and he starts working on this memorial token, and puts both of them on it, her by maiden name and his father by his own surname to make the family connection and cope with his loss. Maybe he rushed it to smooth it down, but he certainly didn't rush the lettering that's for sure, it's a steady hand for the most part.

DEA, kazuma78 and lordmarcovan like this.
  4. lordmarcovan

It almost seems as though room was deliberately left at the bottom for another row to be potentially added in the future, doesn’t it?

And that just never happened.

Then again, maybe not. That could have ended up becoming a bit crowded.

DEA, NOS and John Burgess like this.
  5. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

my theory on that is he did the center name first, and then added the one to the top as he went on with it since it was available space and he was dwelling on loss. maybe planned for the one name only at first, and got to thinking and added the one to the top and MAYYYYBE intended to put his mother on the bottom at some future point, but then he dies before she does??? It's an interesting coin. I'm enjoying the speculating!

DEA and lordmarcovan like this.
  6. lordmarcovan

For what it’s worth, I do think the entire engraving present was done at the same time, likely not long after January of 1831 when E. Nicholson died. The style fits that time period.

But obviously I cannot say for sure.

It was almost certainly engraved by the same hand.

DEA and John Burgess like this.
  7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

In regards to the weight, it's not going to go from 12 grams to 9 grams, only in the most drastic circumstances. I don't know what coin it is, but the weight Stevearino posted (9.63) is the area I am in agreement with.

DEA, kazuma78 and lordmarcovan like this.
  8. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

I went to Family Search and guess what I found: John Topliff was buried on Dec. 12, 1819 [which would be about right on if this man had died on Dec. 9] in Sculcoates All Saints, Yorkshire, England, UK.

Going back to look for E. Nicholson. Dang, this is fun!

Steve

9. lordmarcovan

Yes, it’s too light to be a 1/2 speciedaler. The 1/3 speciedaler does seem to be a more likely candidate.

DEA likes this.
  10. lordmarcovan

Well done! You confirmed my hunch that he was British (which wasn’t all that hard to come up with).

I struck out on findagrave.com.

DEA likes this.
  11. Stevearino

I found an E. Nicholson who died in Middlesex (near London) who was buried on March 27, 1831. This was just over 3 months after the E. Nicholson on the coin died. Now, IF it is the same person, I do know that some burials in Minnesota were delayed in the winter because of snow and frozen ground, but I have no idea if that was the case in England.

Steve

DEA, ddddd and lordmarcovan like this.
  12. lordmarcovan

See, this is what is so cool about love tokens with full names engraved on them.

How many times have you held an old coin from your collection and thought, “Man, I wish I knew where this coin has been, and who once owned it?

Well, with certain love tokens, those answers can be found!

Through such pieces, I have met ...

Sam Jessop, the once-infamous “Pill Devourer” of Georgian England...

W.H. Vanderbilt - the famous one? Maybe. We’ll never know...

L. Frank Gray - who died aboard a train in 1878...

Jasper B. Dilday - who died young in 1879...

upload_2021-8-5_17-46-7.png

Dr. Will J. Prince - who got into a fistfight with a city councilman in Piqua, Ohio in 1904 and seemingly prevailed...

2nd Air Mechanic Arthur Perry of the British Royal Flying Corps in WW1 - a sailmaker who would have repaired the fabric aircraft of the time...

Private Harold Clinton Shaver of the Canadian Army Medical Corps, who was killed in a German air raid on a hospital in France in 1918 (the coin was to eventually end up in the Canadian War Museum, I was told)... *update: it has!

upload_2021-8-5_18-0-13.png

Miss Vesta McCurry, her later husband Howard G. Pearman (another WW1 serviceman), and their present-day granddaughter, Nancy Ferazzuolo, who now has her grandmother’s coin!

upload_2021-8-5_18-5-15.png

upload_2021-8-5_18-5-28.png

upload_2021-8-5_18-6-12.png

That last story was epic, and like this one, it played out gradually, right here live on CoinTalk! Had a happy ending, too, unlike some of the others. :)

So you see why I love these “damaged” coins? Do you think they’d have revealed their secrets otherwise? Probably not!

Here’s my index of other love token articles.

Mountain Man, Publius2, DEA and 3 others like this.
  13. FredPerry

FredPerry New Member

My thoughts exactly. Time frame sounds right. I love these coin mysteries.

DEA likes this.
  14. lordmarcovan

It’s possible. Later Victorian cemeteries (at least here in the cooler regions of the US, and parts of Europe) often had receiving vaults to temporarily hold decedents during periods when the ground was too frozen to dig a grave, or until such time as family could travel to claim them.

So E. Nicholson being interred three months after death is not completely implausible. That’s the closest match we have so far. It’s too bad this person was only denoted by a first initial and had a common surname.

Stevearino, DEA and ddddd like this.
  15. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

WOW! You guys have done more than I could have asked for! Thanks @lordmarcovan for the original Latin insight on the inscription and thank you @Stevearino for finding the name in family search. It's interesting to consider the connection of the 2 names, albeit partial on the 2nd name. I wish I knew the connection of who had the token made and for what purpose outside of memorializing the departed.

16. JimsOkay

JimsOkay Active Member

Great stories!!

DEA and lordmarcovan like this.
  17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The host coin is definitely Norway 1/3 speciedaler KM 266. 266 and 273 are the only coins close to that weight that also have that obv legend, and the positioning of the legend is different on 273. 273 does not have the wide gap between Christian and Rex

kazuma78 and lordmarcovan like this.
  18. lordmarcovan

Thanks for confirming that.

19. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I wonder what the relationship was of these two men. They may only have importance to the person that had the piece engraved and may not have even known each other.

kazuma78 likes this.
  20. Stevearino

I'm make a really wild guess here, but, assuming E. Nicholson is a male, I'd guess this is father & father-in-law. I don't think E. Nicholson is John Topliff's wife, as a Mary is listed as his wife, I believe.

Steve

kazuma78 and lordmarcovan like this.
  21. lordmarcovan

True. If they were even both men at all. “E. Nicholson” remains an enigma so far.

Draft saved Draft deleted