"Died on the Train": 1878 mourning token engraved on 1858 Seated Liberty half

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by lordmarcovan, Jun 14, 2017.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

"Died on the Train": 1878 mourning token engraved on 1858 Seated Liberty half

[​IMG]

Larger obverse picture
    Larger reverse picture

Host coin: 1858 USA Seated Liberty half dollar.
    Obverse: original Seated Liberty design, unaltered.
    Reverse: "July 1st/L. Frank Gray/1878." inscription, with name in Old English lettering, ornamental border around rim.

Ex-"10michaelelps951", eBay, 10/29/2015.

This love token was only my second purchase towards a new love token/engraved/counterstamped type set endeavor. I was (and still am, as of this post) primarily seeking pictorial love tokens, which this is not. However, the engraving style is nice, and I was intrigued by the presence of a full date (month, day, year) and mostly full name, thinking that might make it possible to discover some of the history behind this piece.

I had assumed this was a birth/christening gift, but after finalizing the deal with the seller I did some quick web searching, and discovered that an L. Frank Gray in fact died of consumption (tuberculosis) on that day, while traveling on a train. So unless there is some other intersection of the same name and date in history, it would appear that I fortuitously nailed the history of this piece down. It is a mourning token!

Interestingly, I also found some newspaper obituaries and details on his final resting place online. It doesn't get any better than this. This is one thing that can be amazing about love tokens- you can pin so much more of their history down than you could with a regular coin!

Syracuse Sunday Times, July 7, 1878

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The findagrave.com memorial contained a treasure trove of geneaological and historical information, and a picture of Mr. Gray's tombstone.

(It seems the researcher has herself now joined him in the hereafter, so I must posthumously thank her.)

This piece was part of my Engraved/Counterstamped/Oddball Type Set. I sold it in 2016, at a comfortable profit.

~RWS

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Absolutely superb post. You had me riveted to my monitor reading all of it. :)

Theodosius and lordmarcovan like this.
  4. lordmarcovan

I live for feedback like this. Thank you. :)

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  5. Keepright

Keepright Member

6. Keepright

Keepright Member

I no your very excited to find all that info.good work.you take care of business like you should.that's a gift that you was bless with.

Theodosius likes this.
  7. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

died of consumption Wow I thought I would be reading about a train wreck

lordmarcovan likes this.
  8. lordmarcovan

Can't have been very fun for his fellow passengers to watch.

Of course such tragedies would've been a little more routine (well, not routine, but more familiar) back then.

We take so much for granted in this day and age...

9. swimdad

swimdad New Member

This is amazing you were able to get this much information! How many hours to pull this all together? Very impressive and makes this coin very awesome. This would be an awesome coin to frame or display with the obit and other info (at least I think it would be!). This makes collecting eerily personal...

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

10. swimdad

swimdad New Member

Sold it? Wow!

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

11. lordmarcovan

Yes, I know. I sold some really nice stuff out of the exonumia collection in the last year, but I put the proceeds back into my primary ("Eclectic Box of 20") collection.

And I'm doing a "reboot" on the exonumia collection. Now I will focus on holed or mounted love tokens I can wear on my trademark hat (which got stripped of its holey gold coins during my layoff in the recession). It'll be fun to give the hat a new lease on life. I've already acquired several pieces for that project but have not imaged or posted them yet.

12. lordmarcovan

I got lucky. The information in this case fell into place in less than half an hour of web searching. I am not an exhaustive researcher or scholar by any means. I just know how to do the right keyword searches sometimes.

If you look at the index in my present signature line, you'll see this was not the only time I've gotten lucky and found some interesting and poignant history. Check out the "Pill-Poppin' Sam" story, among others. Or "Relic of a Short Life" and "Bertha's Boy". In those searches, I actually found faces from the past- old photos of the actual people! You wanna talk about "eerily personal"? Try lookin' 'em in the eyes! It's a moving experience.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    dwhiz and Dave Waterstraat like this.
  13. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Another super interesting story. Knowing all the background must make that coin worth far more.

John

lordmarcovan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted