Can we please talk about the 1922 D, weak D, no D cents?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by dimeguy, May 24, 2021.

1. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

So, last month I purchased a 1922 D cent. I am not going to collect the different varieties of the 1922 cent, but for fun I would like to learn how to distinguish the die pairing. I have been looking at Lincolncentresource.com (Love that site!) and they provide good characteristics for the die pairing, but not necessarily pictures of everything they are describing. Being as I have never looked into die pairings, VAMs or the likes, it feels a bit overwhelming trying to coordinate all of the diagnostics into distinguishing which one is attributed to my coin.

First question: does anyone have another reference site with pictures for distinguishing die pairs?

Second: how does one attribute these pairings with wear on the coin as mine is an XF? I am fairly certain it is a weak D, but when the site says that some wheat lines will blend and be less distinguish, I sort of expect as much from an XF wheat cent, so how does one tell the difference?

Thanks in advance for any reference pictures or materials. Forgive me for not posting my '22 D here. I don't want members replying with "clearly it is this die pair," because that does me no good in the learning process and sort of takes the fun away from me, but if it would help with the discussion I'll be more than willing.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

1922strongobv.jpg 1922strongrev.jpg This should be an interesting thread. Here are a couple shots of my 1922. Mine is in VF condition. What pairing is this?

Danomite, GH#75, dimeguy and 3 others like this.
  4. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Not sure of your question really or exactly how to answer. I feel like there might be some confusion on what is being kept track of for the 1922-D lincoln cent.

There were many, many dies that made 1922 D cents that year. there were 4 die pairs that have been identified as showing a Weak D to a no trace of a D over the course of that years mintage out of all of them due to the wear of the Die and how strong the D was in the first place.

DIE PAIR 1, 2, 3, 4 is for cents that shows no D mint mark.
    All 1922 weak D or No D coins fall into one of 7 categories:
    1. Die Pair #1 Weak D (Weak Reverse)
    2. Die Pair #1 No D (Weak Reverse)
    3. Die Pair #2 No D (Strong Reverse) also called 1922 Plain
    4. Die Pair #3 Weak D (Weak Reverse)
    5. Die Pair #3 No D (Weak Reverse)
    6. Die Pair #4 Weak D (Weak Reverse)
    7. Die Pair #4 No D (Weak Reverse)

all the other die pairs don't matter and aren't tracked, only those 4 that produced the "No D" 1922D cents. it's a different die pair outside of these cataloged 4 pairs that stuck weak and No D 1922s.

if you bought a 1922-D with a D on it, it's not a weak D or a No D, and it's not one of the 4 identified die pairs that did make "No D" 1922 cents, the early die stage is the weak D.

5. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

So for the coin listed I am choosing die pair #3 (feels like the dating game). Reasoning being:

I do not see "coat tails" to distinguish it exclusively as Die 4

Die 1 would require the second 2 to be weaker, whereas in this one I feel it is stronger and would have almost no wheat lines, whereas yours does. Also, I do not see a die crack on the reverse from "L" in Pluribus to the "O" in One.

This leads us to 2 and 3. Both have "L" in Liberty up against rim. Die 3 has a weak "In God We Trust" but the "trust" is more pronounced than the rest, but at same time I do not see blending of the O.

Still, my educated guess would die pair 3, being No D variety.

6. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

Here is where I am becoming confused on the lincolncentresource site:

Die 1: "We" is very mushy
    Die 2: "We" is slightly mushy

When I have descriptions like this with no pictures to back it up I feel a bit lost, especially when I am looking at a circulated example.

Same goes for "coat tails" for Die 4....I don't know what a coat tail is other than on a tux, so what am I looking for? There are several such descriptions on the site, and I am super grateful as to know where to direct my eye, but until I see differences I feel it is a self-help seminar and I can only go so far as I know how to.

R.Morgan likes this.
  7. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Good process, @dimeguy, but it is die pair #2. To your point, as coins begin to show some wear they are harder to distinguish.

1922noD.JPG

John Burgess likes this.
  8. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

Honestly? I'm leaning towards die pair 2. Everything matches except the "WE" is really weak. This would be worth sending in to ANACS for variety attribution, or at least to ICG.

9. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

10. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

CBD, that was a really good thread/read. Thank you for pointing me to it.

C-B-D likes this.
  11. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

Ok, so here is mine. I am perfectly fine if it is not a weak D...just trying to learn. Best pics I can obtain with my phone.

22D thread 1.jpg

22D thread 2.jpg

22D thread 3.jpg

22D thread 4.jpg

22D thread 5.jpg

22D thread 7.jpg

Obverse: "L" is against rim, "In God We" is weaker than "Trust" and I cannot necessarily discern if one 2 is stronger than the other.

Reverse: I do not see a die crack in the 11 o'clock position. I do not feel the left side of O is fading into the field on "One." I feel what wheat lines that do remain are strong

With all of these I am guessing for die pair 3, yes? Again, if I am over thinking it, or even if I have a regular D, that is fine. I would much rather learn and know. Like I said, I really don't care to have the varieties, I am just wanting to sharpen my eye. Thanks again for all the help!

12. jfreakofkorn

jfreakofkorn Well-Known Member

Been looking for one of these for awhile now
    Also been trying to educate myself on the subject matter of these usual type of variation(s)

Draft saved Draft deleted