Calling all Britannia Lovers

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Tater, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

New design. .999 silver vs. .958. They do rotate some of the designs from time to time. This is a new design and I will be adding to my collection. I have a example of each design so far.

4. sundevil

sundevil New Member

[​IMG]I'm confused, too. This design is supposedly .999 fine (says Provident Metals and Gainesville Coins), and the new design on the website is .999 fine. They are both 2 Pound denominations. I bought this design a few months ago, and it's my first Britannia that I own. And I did some research at that time, seeing the different designs that were out there. Now I'm thinking that maybe I missed some designs?

Ripley and Rickipedia like this.
  5. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

As sonlarson wrote, the Britannia pieces (gold and silver) do get a new design from time to time. Standing, seated, portrait ... Sometimes a new year brings a new design, sometimes a design is used more than once.

Christian

6. treehugger

treehugger Well-Known Member

The design of the first Britannia released this year is actually the same design used in 2012. Before that, the design changed every year on a 10-year cycle.

This is the first year for the .999 pure Britannia and the Royal Mint announced last year there would be 2 Britannia designs this year .

I have a lot of Britannias but didn't get the first 2013 because it was a design repeat and it was also reported the quality control on these was not good. I don't think I will be getting the second 2013 Britannia because I don't care for the design.

In general, they are very nice coins. I'm not sure what they are going to do in 2014; that is, if there will be 1 or 2 designs minted.

This has been a confusing year regarding Britannias due to the change to .999 pure.

7. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Interesting Tree Hugger. I have all of the designs and also bought the 2013 at the first of the year but was unaware that they had announce they were releasing two designs this year. I will get one as I have all others and have loved the series to date. I wonder if they will release a bullion version or if this will have to be purchased direct from the mint?

8. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

guys I am not sure if this piece of information is genuine but I will still share it here.

Source: http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-32691-2013-britannia-s-page-5.html

"Future issues of Britannia Bullion will ALL use the Philip Nathan design. That's the original design used to launch the coin in 1987 and reused last year. No other designs will be used. The Britannia Bullion coin is handled completely separately to Britannia Proof and Brilliant Uncirculated (our 'collector' coins).
    Britannia Proof and Brilliant Uncirculated will see a new design every year."
    That pretty much means starting from 2013 all future Britannia bullion coins will have the same design just like ASEs and CMLs. The only change on the coin will be just the year itself.

9. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

If true I'm bummed and might be done with the series.

Rickipedia likes this.
  10. treehugger

I agree with you, Tater. What the h e double toothpicks are they thinking? If they join the ranks of the uncreative and boring (e. g. ASEs, Maple Leafs), I see no reason to continue.

Oh, well, there are still Koalas, Kookaburras, Pandas and Elephants.

Tater likes this.
  11. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

[​IMG]

VS.

[​IMG]

Hmm, me likes the latter still.

Tater, treehugger and Rickipedia like this.
  12. Rickipedia

Rickipedia Korean YN at 12

The 2013 one looks like one of those generic silver rounds with some 'elegant' designs slapped on...it has too much field left alone. 2007 is full in design, more artistic, and far more elegant IMO.

Ripley and treehugger like this.
  13. treehugger

Without a doubt, scottishm. The 2007 Uma and the Lion and the 2009 Chariot are my favorite designs.

There is too much open space in the new design for me. Anyway, to each their own.

Rickipedia likes this.
  14. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I agree on the elephants they are nice coins with some nice designs.

Rickipedia likes this.
  15. athrose

athrose Member

I'm actually looking forward to a new design every year for the proof 4 coin set (now 5 coins) and the BU. Since I own all previous issues, I'll purchase the new designs as well. But, this design is not anywhere as nice as the previous designs IMO.

16. stoster38

stoster38 Member

I have to agree that the design is not one of the best ones that the Royal Mint has come out with for the Britannias. That being said I do want to have a complete set so I'm torn on whether to get it or not. I'll have to check & see what other dealers, if any, have the coin and how much it's selling for.

17. Taribor

Taribor Don't know what I don't Know

I bought my a few weeks ago. The new proof series will change annually, but the bullion (oftentimes confused with a proof) will now keep the same design. Not sure i'm sold on the new proof design style but I've collected them to this point so I will give a few years to see what they come up with. With the crappy QC of the royal mint, after this year, I am giving up on the bullion, especially if the designs are not changing.
    I also bought roll of the bullion (2013 design) with the lunar year of the snake stamp. Gimmicky I guess, but I like 'em so I don't care.

18. SilverForLife

SilverForLife Member

I like the fact that they came up to the World standard of .999 silver. Too bad the design will be fixed in the future!

19. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

How was the quality on the lunar roll, did it improve any from the first of the year?

20. Taribor

Taribor Don't know what I don't Know

They all had the exact same surface scratch on the obverse..not sure if it was die issue or something on the line, but they all had it. Otherwise they were very nice....but for $40 a coin (on ebay), I expect collector-level quality. I bought my roll for 575 and got 675 in trade value, so I can't complain.

If you are interested, Merrit gold sells them by the roll for 599....which is almost 1o bucks less per coin than they are going for on ebay.

21. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Draft saved Draft deleted