Featured CAC Lesson Learned......

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by flintcreek6412, May 12, 2014.

1. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

That is because you can grade and know what you are doing. A lot of collectors can't - and they go for CAC coins, which is okay. If I could find two coins solid for the grade one CAC and one not CAC and the not CAC is cheaper then I go with non-cac coin. On ebay at times I am lucky I can find two coins to even look at on what I collect(mainly looking at large cents). I reject most graded coins for a couple of reasons - but most of those are grading or surface issues that while I upgrade I am avoiding. I like CAC, but I do try to avoid the premiums. Then again some CAC coins (and even non-cac coins) deserve a premium over the standard price.

JPeace$ and green18 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Well said. I use CAC as an aide, not a crutch. Same for the TPG's.

saltysam-1 likes this.
  4. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I disagree.

Anytime you buy a coin online, you are buying from pictures. True. However, if the seller offers a return policy (and most of them do, with the exception of auction houses), you have an extended period where you can view the coin in hand, make your own opinion about the coin (and even take it to a local dealer, show it to friends, post your own pictures on here, etc). If you like it, you keep it. If you don't, you return it. I can't think of any more generous version of "sight seen, in hand" purchasing than this.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

But before that means anything they have to know what they are looking at when they see it.

6. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

I just got my CAC submission back today and I did not get any red sticker or explanation on reasons for a failed coin. Is this typical to get this sticker?

7. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

@Agilmore01 , last fall, I submitted ~20 coins to CAC. 60% received the bean. No one of the coins that didn't get their blessing had a "red/orange" sticker on them.

8. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

I guess they have either stopped, or he doesn't do it for dealers, which is who I submitted mine through.

9. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Sometimes JA will put a sticker on and sometimes not. I typically walk coins through CAC and those few that fail the process always have a little red sticker that says something like "scratch on shield"..."PVC in field"..."too much carbon" or whatnot.

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I applaud John for giving reasons........

Paul M. likes this.
  11. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

Did you ask for feedback?

12. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

And I have no problem with that what so ever - I think it is good move. At the same time continue looking at CAC and non-CAC coins. Overtime I am sure you can learn to tell the difference and pickup some really nice coins without the premium some dealers include on the coins.

13. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Thanks. I do look at CAC coins and agree with your assessment. Not all coins without the CAC sticker have been to the service, so in many cases, the non-CAC coin is indeed an A or B coin.

14. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I went through a dealer to submit. No feeback was offered when I received the coins. I decided not to call as I wasn't sure whether they would remember my coins.

Agilmore01 likes this.
  15. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Thank you!!!!!! Not EVERYBODY needs a gradually but ever-expanding "committee" to verify the previous committee members' opinions! The VAST majority of "serious" coins I see and buy have never been to PCGS or NGC either, much less been CACed on. I read in rapt wonder the stories I read on here that at least imply that any decent coin has already been slabbed at some point. THAT IS SO NOT TRUE, BUCKOS! The world, especially in back-country Pennsylvania, is literally awash in nice, original beautiful classic coins that have never seen a sonic sealing machine, dudes. Many have only been in ONE collection, and only reappear because someone's heirs want to sell.

Yes, I'm saying the Keystone State is loaded with collections that some cataloguer will someday breathlessly describe in the leather-bound limited edition of "Heritage presents - The John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt Collection".

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  16. green18

His name is my name too........

17. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

Feedback is only provided if requested, and on those coins, JA often makes notes.

18. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

Glad you dropped the other shoe at the end of the post. Buying any coin due to a hyped "label" or added"sticker" and expecting to be treated fairly is not wise at any time. It's "open season" on our wallets from now on so beware of all hype/deals as there's 0 protection any more....HH...

19. sgt23

sgt23 Active Member

I've seen stuff in my dealer's show case that are very nice that have never seen a slab.

20. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

But lets face it, there's a culture out there that seriously thinks that if it's nice and not in plastic there's something wrong with it, and the problem with that thinking is it's contagious...

Paul M. and sgt23 like this.
  21. green18

Infectious.......

sgt23 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted