Featured CAC Lesson Learned......

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by flintcreek6412, May 12, 2014.

1. flintcreek6412

flintcreek6412 Active Member

I've bought several coins that carried the CAC green bean and gladly paid a slight premium because they appeared very nice for the grade. I was impressed enough that I began to seek CAC coins over others as long as the premium wasn't too great.

I had seen enough CAC coins that I began to have great confidence in the sticker. So much so that even with bad pics online I would buy one knowing my experience to be a positive one. Then I got cocky.

In one week I bought MS66+ CAC Walking Liberty Half and an MS65+ CAC CC Morgan. I "assumed" that being a plus grade coupled with a CAC would border on making a next grade which could carry significant premiums. I was excited for them to arrive because they were bought off photos.

When they both arrived and were in hand I must admit I was disappointed. Neither impressed me much and certainly didn't appear worthy of a + grade, much less a + with CAC. Then I did what I should have done before hand. I researched CAC.

I found that CAC totally disregards the plus designation when assigning a bean. They will then grade it based upon the number grade and decide if it's an A,B or C coin. A & B get the bean and C does not. A is basically exceptional for the grade and B is solid for the grade. C is the low end.

The first lesson I learned is that a CAC coin could simply be solid for the grade, not top end of the grade as I had believed. In essence, not the best of the best.

The second, and very humbling lesson I learned is that you should not buy a plus grade with CAC and simply assume it's verified as a plus grade. Since CAC disregards the plus it is very possible, as I think I obtained one of them, that you can get a MS66+ CAC that is really only an MS66.

I'm not slamming CAC as I have usually found their coins to be better for the grade and at least solid for the grade, but I do question why they disregard the plus. In my opinion they should only bean what they consider solid for the grade and if the grade is a 66+ it should be a 66+ before getting a sticker. It seems pointless to even send in a plus grade to CAC because it really won't benefit the seller. But again, that's my opinion only. They obviously have a solid business model that works.

I do know this though, a CAC on a plus coin that I see in the future will not get my attention as it has before. As always, buy the coin not the slab, but with some less than stellar photos out there I will now pass on the CAC+ unless in hand.

That probably explains why I got these coins at what I though was a really good price.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I like your post and you are correct that CAC disregards the + or * designations that are given out by PCGS and NGC. A CAC sticker on such coins still has value since CAC is estimating the base grade to be correct or even slightly undergraded and they are also stating that they do not believe the coin has been manipulated beyond market acceptance.

4. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

This is why you should never pay for a second or third opinion (unless it's a Dr's). There's only one that matters in the end.

5. Savy

Savy Well-Known Member

I never knew that CAC disregarded the +. It's disappointing to hear that, as MS64 is not the same grade as MS64+. The differences in value between a + grade and a normal grade can be astronomical!

coinman1234 likes this.
  6. SilverSurfer415

SilverSurfer415 Well-Known Member

They do NOT deserve the phrase COOL BEANS when it comes to their service.

JBGood likes this.
  7. gijoe76

gijoe76 A Penny Saved is a Penny earned

Here is an example of one of my coins that if the + designation were CAC recognize could add significant value. I do like CAC coins. I have some in my collection. I also have some that did not receive a CAC sticker in my collection. GiJoe_1972DDOMS66+RD.jpg

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

CAC is simply agreeing with the grade, not that it is high end.

If they think it is undergraded you can get a (rare) gold bean.

Kirkuleez and cpm9ball like this.
  9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Frank, if CAC thinks it is high end for the grade (but not deserving of a gold bean) why don't they give the green beanie a tassel or something?

Chris

10. Morganpeace11

Morganpeace11 New Member

Thanks for the information..sorry about your coin you submitted.

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I won't deny that they may be, but they certainly should not be. If the differences are astronomical, that's people over-paying for the coin. A 64+ is nothing more than a nice 64. It's not a 65, even by TPG standards. Or it would have been given a 65 grade.

And that's basically what CAC is telling you (us) by not paying any attention to the plus. In other words, a nice 64 is still just a 64.

12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

or a beret!

or bean the bean

JBGood and micbraun like this.
  13. Savy

Savy Well-Known Member

There are some nice 64+ coins that, upon resubmission, could achieve a 65 grade. Those are the coins that I would pay a large premium for. I like to buy the coin, not the slab. I agree that people should not pay astronomical prices for a + grade. I would pay a premium for a +, but not a huge one, unless I believed that it could achieve the next grade. But + coins do still go for a premium, so CAC shouldn't act like the + isn't there.

Morganpeace11 likes this.
  14. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

We've all seen instances where a coin has been undergraded, resubmitted for, and come back the higher grade. Therefore, there are plenty of cases where the difference between 64+ and 64 can be, and probably should be quite substantial if there's a huge spread between 64 & 65.

There may be just as many cases however, where the 64+ should be a 64 instead of a 65, in which case no premium is justified.

Evaluation of the coin relative to the assigned grade, the spread between grades, and one's sensitivity to risk should all be weighed in determining the premium one should pay.

15. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I agree with Frank. But won't buy a coin for the sticker green or gold..
    Buying a coin you should first do homework and know what grading standards are.
    No disrespectful intention meant .:)

16. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Quite Frankly, I hate the blasted things. It makes some dealers think they charge for the moon.........

eddiespin and SPP Ottawa like this.
  17. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I thought the "+" grade meant the TPG thought the coin was high end for the grade, but not quite the next grade. IMO, that means it's an A coin and should have a green bean.

18. Savy

Savy Well-Known Member

Yeah, so CAC should sticker all + coins, as long as they are accurately graded, because they are solid or high-end for the grade. Someone could make a profit sending in + graded coins to CAC because most would get the green bean.

19. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

CAC also inspects coins for various levels of surface manipulation, which means that a coin might have a market and TPG accepted level of manipulation that is also unacceptable to CAC. Therefore, they cannot blindly put beans on accurately + graded coins.

20. Savy

Savy Well-Known Member

Of course they wouldn't blindly put the CAC stickers on the coin. What I'm saying is that most coins with a + should get CAC stickered because they are solid or high-end for the grade, which is what CAC is looking for. I'm not saying that all + coins are guaranteed to get stickered, I'm just saying that the chances are much higher. And with every coin sent into CAC, there is a possibility that CAC will not sticker because of surface manipulation.

21. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I essence, the '+' grade should cancel out the CAC Sticker or vice versa since the '+' signifies that the coin is in the top 20% of coins for THAT grade while the CAC sticker signifies that the coin is "solid" for the grade.

Too often, folks interpret the CAC sticker for more than what it actually represents.

IMHO, it's simply another marketing tool and "collectors" ought to not pay attention to it unless they want CC to buy it back.

Hotpocket and silentnviolent like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted