Featured CAC Lesson Learned......

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by flintcreek6412, May 12, 2014.

1. bearze34

bearze34 Active Member

If you couple a CAC sticker with an ECC sticker you may have struck gold.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Doug1974

Doug1974 Active Member

Hello & thank's for sharing your CAC story with us ! I can really relate to your CAC experience I to at one point hunted out only CAC coin's ! BUT one day I came across the coin dealer news letter (AKA graysheet ) & this is what my local coin shop looks at when buying/selling coins so I bought myself the graysheet & learned I was wrong on many thing's ! They had a article all about CAC coin's & they clearly state that ANY coin with the CAC sticker/bean does NOT make the coin worth more it just assures you that it is graded correctly or not ! I am still feel sick inside about CAC but I guess it learning curb in our collecting .

Thank you
    Doug

4. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

"They had a article all about CAC coin's & they clearly state that ANY coin with the CAC sticker/bean does NOT make the coin worth more it just assures you that it is graded correctly or not ! I am still feel sick inside about CAC but I guess it learning curb in our collecting ."

Of course the CAC sticker on its own makes no difference about the coin. This is exactly the same situation as a PCGS or NGC holder; the opinion of the entity in question (CAC, PCGS or NGC) can simply affect the liquidity and/or value of the item in question. The coin is the coin, regardless of stickered, certified or raw.

Paul M. likes this.
  5. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

And then there are coins with outstanding eye appeal that are too dark that don't sticker. For example:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What amazes me about the CAC conversation is that the same people who criticize the TPGs for overgrading also contend that CAC certified coins should not be worth more money than the overgraded coins that drive down the value for the assigned grade. Some of you guys need to make up your mind, you can't have it both ways.

Morgandude11 and Doug1974 like this.
  6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

But a whole lot of people don't get that Tom. To you, or me, or anybody that knows coins, it doesn't matter if the coin is raw, slabbed, or has a CAC sticker or not. I don't want to put words in your mouth, but I ignore all of it and just judge the coin. So a coin, even raw, is worth exactly the same amount to me as it is slabbed and with a sticker.

To those who don't know coins, who can't grade for themselves, they often tend to be dependent upon the slabs and stickers because that's all they have.

Doug1974 likes this.
  7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Paul? Is that Orange Dot a new designation? devil.gif That is one beautiful piece!

Doug? The only thing I object to regarding the 'bean' is that certain dealers think they can charge more for the plastic coating.

Doug1974 likes this.
  8. Doug1974

Doug1974 Active Member

Very true & EBAY sellers think that is doubles the value :yawn:

9. Lehigh96

LOL, nah, that is the sticker that JA uses to tell you why your coin did not get a green bean. But why shouldn't the dealer be able to charge more for a coin with a CAC sticker?

Doug1974 likes this.
  10. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

How close is the image above to the appearance of the coin in hand? It doesn't look overly dark to me, and should have stickered without any question. If it looks like the images above, I am truly surprised.

11. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Look at the picture with the coin in the holder. The obverse is indeed very dark. I can't speak for the reverse.

Nice Lafayette @Lehigh96

12. Lehigh96

Doug, the article that you read is basically wrong. The purpose of the CAC sticker is to combat the problem of gradeflation. Everytime the TPGs grade a coin that is low end for the assigned grade, it increases the population for that grade and essentially lowers the value for the previously graded coins which were solid or high end for the assigned grade. If there is a difference in quality between coins that all bear the same grade, then it only stands to reason that there would exist a price range as well. Lower quality coins would get lower prices and the higher quality coins would demand higher prices.

The only way to refute this concept is to declare that incremental grading is bs and nobody can tell the difference between a low end and high end coin for an assigned grade. But if that were the case, then why does everyone constantly complain about overgrading?

The problem is the way that coins are priced. We look at coin and then we look at a price guide and we see the number. Then we say that if we payed less than that number, we got a good deal, and if we paid more, we overpaid. The truth is that there is not one number that defines the price for 99% of the coins. In order to accurately state the value of a coin in a particular grade, we should use a grade range. This range can be in the hundreds or thousands of dollars depending upon the rarity of the coin in question. So, for an article to say that a CAC sticker can't have an affect on the price of a coin, is utterly ridiculous IMO. CAC stickers can, and do affect the valuation of a coin. Now that does not mean that a CAC sticker automatically increases value, but it absolutely can affect the price in certain cases.

ron_c and Doug1974 like this.
  13. Lehigh96

The obverse is very dark. The photo is a Mark Goodman photo, so he obviously did a great job getting light on the coin and showing the obverse luster which is still fully intact and not really muted by the deep toning.

Funny thing is that when I purchased this coin, it was in the CRO inventory. The price they were asking was very optimistic. I called and had a discussion with them and asked them if they could send the coin to CAC. I knew I wanted the coin either way but I had a specific price I was willing to spend dependent upon whether or not the coin was CAC verified or not. When the coin came back without the sticker, I got a significant discount on the list price of the coin.

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Well, you make a very good point in post 51 that I find difficult to argue with. My point is such that when I look at a '65 coin with a bean (at a show with a particular dealer) and that dealer wants $10 to $20 dollars more for the piece than one that I can get at another dealers table (lacking a bean) with the same grade and more eye appeal.

15. sgt23

sgt23 Active Member

I won't even bid on or buy a coin unless the seller allows returns because of the photo issues online.

16. carboni7e

carboni7e aka MonsterCoinz

The thing is, times are changing. Probably 95% of all coin sales occur online. That means 95% of buyers aren't seeing a coin in hand and are relying on photos or scans only. And when you need that certain date or grade, you must rely on the plastic or sticker as the only assurance you're getting what you need. In hand, it should be an entirely different story.

17. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I don't have anything against CAC but I wouldn't spend the money for their service. I don't have any CAC stickered coins simply because the ones I've seen for sale carry a significant and usually undue premium.

18. john59

john59 Well-Known Member

Like said buy the coin not the slab

19. Vegas Vic

Vegas Vic Undermedicated psychiatric patient

I don't know that we are at 95% today. But the evolution of coin transactions is certainly going in the direction of online sales.

20. sgt23

sgt23 Active Member

I think 95% would be pushing it since there are still a lot of transactions that go on at shows and actions.

21. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

True 'nuff dat, Vic! There's nuffin' that's 95% of nuffin'! In MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE (and I refuse to believe I'm THAT atypical) the largest to smallest VOLUME of my "serious" acquisitions, are:

1) Local coin / estate auctions, in person.
    2) Non-big firm (i.e. Not HA or S-B) online auctions.
    3) Private collector to collector sales in person.
    4) Dealer purchases at local shows.
    5) ANA or other big show bourse purchases.
    6) Everything else, including HA or S-B. Taken together, this whole section represents MAYBE 3-5 coins.

Most (the vast majority) are raw. I've HAD more coins slabbed than I've bought that way, and I've never bought a "beaned" coin ever. Not that I'd never have one, I just haven't needed to. And the LAST time I ever submitted a coin that wouldn't grade was the FIRST time I submitted one, many years ago, during the ANACS small slab era. 'Twas a "cleaned" 19th century big honkin' Mexican silver coin, IIRC.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted