buying/selling raw metal (gold, platinum)?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by -jeffB, Mar 11, 2017.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I may have a choice between buying about 1/3 ozt of 24K gold around 15% below spot, or about 1/3 ozt of platinum around 25% below spot. In neither case is the metal marked -- it's industrial material, in rod/sheet/wire form -- but I do have accurate scales and acid-testing kits to verify the composition.

I'm wondering which one would leave me more likely to come out ahead should I decide to sell. Gold is more familiar and liquid, I think, but the discount on the platinum is wider.

I do recognize there's some chance that I could be swindled, but the sellers I'm dealing with are established and seem reputable. This is not outside their normal line of business.

Thoughts?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

I would do gold, way more demand.

4. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I would also tend to go with gold. I suspect the liquidity is much higher.

5. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Buy the platinum so I can buy the gold ;)

coinman1234 likes this.
  6. BlackBeard_Thatch

BlackBeard_Thatch Captain of the Queen Anne's Revenge

Arrr buy the gold!:jimlad:

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Since more than likely, you won't sell in a very short time, so it might be higher or lesser, and the premium the same. I would skip these because when going to sell, you would have to convince the person it is what you say it is. I would use the money and buy identifiable gold myself. There is a reason why it is being sold at that discount to spot.

8. -jeffB

Well, the other catch is that I actually have one or two geeky projects in mind that could benefit from a platinum rod. :) But 24K gold is pretty easy to verify. I'm still of two or three minds about the whole thing, but kind of leaning toward the platinum -- it's a smaller chunk of change, for one thing.

9. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Get what you need for the project and enjoy that. As mentioned these are being sold below spot for a reason and if they could easily flip it for above spot they would have already unless someone is doing you a big favor

10. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Gold is King.

11. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

I would be highly skeptical, but if it is legitimate of course you should do it (both Au and Pt)

12. -jeffB

They're being sold just above (gold) or just below (platinum) spot, but bought at a lower price, courtesy of a $50 coupon. ;)

13. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Could I get a $1200 coupon on an ounce of gold?

14. -jeffB

Okay, I'm bailing on both; if anybody else is up for it, here's the deal.

First, find the eBay coupon mentioned elsewhere that gives 20% off on Fashion and Beauty categories, with a $50 discount cap. The code is C20HELLOSPRING; it expires at 11:59PM PST, a bit more than three hours from now.

Note that one of the eligible categories is Jewelry & Watches, and that some of the "jewelry findings" and "jewelry design and repair" items are, well, precious metal.

The two particular listings I found are these:

24K GOLD ROUND WIRE, 20 GA (0.75MM), 44.5 INCHES, 10.04 GRAMS

Melt for that amount of gold is currently $387 and change. The listing is for $390, BIN; with the coupon, you'll get it for $337. Free shipping, from Slovakia, but the seller has solid feedback.

PLATINUM HALF ROUND WIRE, 4 X 1.5 MM, 4 INCHES, 10.88 GRAMS

Melt for this, assuming it's pure platinum, is $331; it's more likely .950 platinum, 5% ruthenium, although the listing doesn't say. BIN is $295, $245 after coupon. Same seller.

There's only one of each, and you can only use the coupon once, unless you're one of those nefarious multiple-eBay-account-holders, so you'll have to decide which one you want.

Enjoy...

15. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Slovakia ?
    I'll stick to US Mint silver / gold / platinum. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted