Buying Opportunity Coming Soon.

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Revi, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

If silver tanks down to around $15 I am going to stock up again. I haven't been buying because I'm broke, and because I want to see where it ends up pricewise. It's coming down to the cheapest prices in a long time again. What do you think the bottom will be?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

There's a headline on Coinflation this evening that reads "Precious Metals Moving Closer to Bottom?"

Seems to me that if they're going down, they're getting closer to a bottom, and if they're going up, they're getting farther away from a bottom.

Or maybe they meant "are we getting closer in time to a bottom?" Well, if we're moving forward in time, I guess there must be a bottom somewhere that we're getting closer to -- unless you're convince that metals will only go up, forever.

Sometimes I wonder if people even read what they write...

randrace likes this.
  4. avr5700

avr5700 Member

You know it will tease you with a dip to $16, a rebound to $19, a dip to $15.50 and then an extended five year run between $20 and $25, just so you don't ever actually make your purchase. ;)

Seems to me that there are many 'trouble on the horizon' type reasons which could boost the price quickly again. If I knew which one that would be, I would be a market timer. Instead, I buy a little as time goes on and am fine with a paper loss for the foreseeable future.

5. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

The buying opportunity is here already.

6. Nuglet

Nuglet Active Member

I really can't answer that question. I think we need Eminem on this one.

micbraun likes this.
  7. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

We definitely need Eminem with his colloquialisms!

8. SilverSurfer415

SilverSurfer415 Well-Known Member

The time to buy is RIGHT NOW!!!!
    I started buying silver last year around July or June so this is like a dream come true for me.

9. al berry

al berry New Member

Dollar cost average, buy what you can afford every week, month. Dont pay attention to closing price each day. I have found best prices are on ebay with the big sellers like Ampex, MCM. Etc. they have so much going on, you can often buy below their web site prices.

10. Eminem

Eminem Active Member

Back by popular demand homies, silver hasn't bottomed out yet and will not for a couple years. Expect silver to bottom out where it crashed in 2008, around ten dollas an ounce. Then it will slowly creep up to the twenty/twenty five dolla range in the next 20 years unless something major happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Revi likes this.
  11. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Wall St and stocks, where it's at

Something tells me that you're not really paying attention.

12. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

It's funny how most people react to markets. A couple of years ago when silver was twice this price people were lining up here on CT saying how brilliant they were to be buying at that price. Now prices are half, not nearly as many people talk about wanting to buy. Everyone wants to catch the bottom, and most never will. It will drop.down, then up, then further down, then up, until it doesn't. No one recognizes the bottom until after its over. So, knowing that, you should have a value in mind, a goal post to see on the horizon. Mine are $20 is a fair price, and $16 is a steal. So, right now I buy what I feel like, but if it drops below $16 I will get serious, like monster.box serious.

Everyone's price point may be different, but you should have one. Trying to predict anything from random market movements is a dangerous game, one that most fail in.

Gipper1985 likes this.
  13. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

I am always on the lookout for anything numismatic at around the silver spot price. It's amazing how much I have found for around that price. You can't go wrong with it. Even if the spot price drops a bit, the coins are still worth something.

14. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Yup, picking a bottom is a game for fools. While I still feel Silver will go lower, it is much harder to predict now that it is trading near production cost (maybe?). I think right around $18 is a place people should start slowly accumulating. if it goes lower, so be it, just keep on buying. If Ag starts nearing the $15 mark, I think you should really start picking up the pace.

Mike

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  15. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Why? I am not saying he is correct, as $10 is even a bit more bearish than I am, but this scenario is certainly a possibilty and much more likley than silver going to $30 in the next few years.

16. medoraman

So Mike's is $18/15. That is fair. Yours could be $25/20, or $15/10. There is no knowing who is right, and all of those answers I would say would be good ones. The point would be do not get caught up in up and down market actions and lose sight of the objective. The objective is to acquire pm at a long term price you believe is a good deal. That is what long term investors should be shooting for, not gaming the market, because frankly most small investors TRY to game markets, and almost always fail.

So, choose your price, and as long as the market is below that intentionally try to buy, without worrying about if the market dips a little lower. The idea is to buy for the next decade or two, not the next month or two. :)

17. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Agreed, and just for a bit of an explanation about my numbers, I think $18/15 is just a tad on the low side, but with a commodity like Silver, I think that is the best way to play it. With the high spreads for retail silver and associated storage costs you are behind even before you begin so "fairly" priced silver never interested me, I only think it is a buy if you can get it cheap. If it never makes it down to "my" numbers, so be it, I will find something else to buy.

18. medoraman

Another point about the benefits of buying evenly through a downward cycle would be availability. When a market is slowly trending down you can actually buy physical pm. You have to be very careful about premiums, and not let the dealer get in your pocket trying to get you to pay last weeks price, but physical pm will be available. So, lets say it goes down to $16 in this market swoon, (but of course you never know how low it will go until after it is over). If I was buying on the way down, I might feel bad when I bought for $19 and then it went to $18, then $17, etc. However, I could buy product. When it hits the low of $16 and starts slowly climbing back up, and people start to latch onto the idea that $16 was the low, guess what happens to supply/premiums? All of the sudden, the junk silver I could buy in a $17 market on the way down at 12.5-13 times face now is 14-15 times face if you can find it because everyone wants to buy on the way up.

So, this is the other part of it. You can physically acquire the pm on the way down, but it dries up pretty quickly when everyone recognizes its going up. So its a double whammy trying to catch a bottom, not only will you most likely miss it, you will be paying high premiums and have limited ability to buy on the way back up. ASE's might be better as to availability, but trust me the premiums balloon when dealers are believing the market is increasing, so same net effect.

westcoasting likes this.
  19. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Right, but you can always buy SLV when premiums are high to lock in the price, and swap it for physical when premiums settle down.

20. medoraman

I thought there was another genius on this board who recommended that a few months ago. ;)

How many people here do you think wish to trust paper contracts Mike? :)

21. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Well, not many, but I personally find life a bit easier when you use all the tools avaialble, but we all need to paddle our own kayak :)

Draft saved Draft deleted