Buying Gold in Grams

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by mpcusa, May 29, 2017.

1. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Well have been thinking about expanding my PM.S base in to GOLD, though it,s like
    having a Champagne taste on a beer budget, i do want to keep things diversified
    and not put all my eggs in to one basket.

Been looking at prices on the bay and the 5 grams are about $220 give or take
    and the 10 grams a little bit over double that price.

So does anybody out there invest in these quantities ? would like to hear from you
    and your opinions.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

10 grams of gold at melt as of this writing is $407.66.
    The smaller the ingot, the higher the premium.

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
  4. mpcusa

How true that is, so do you invest this way ? would really like to get a couple 1 0Z
    Krugerrands but not in the budget as of this moment, looking to move forward
    on a smaller more conservative pace.

5. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

About 11 years ago I bought a JM 5 gram gold bar for $125.
    A few years later I sold it for $200 to a dealer.
    So today's price of $220 is not that bad provided it is a name brand.
    However for that money I'd buy a tenth oz. AGE and have some cash left over.

Kentucky likes this.
  6. mpcusa

Would not be opposed to that however i would probably go with a baby Krugerrand
    over an ASG just because i like them a little more, have lots of Silver working right
    Now, Rounds, Bars and ASE,S but would like to start dipping more and more in to
    Different PM,S

7. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

I'd just buy 1/10 or 1/4 AGE's and skip gold gram bars.

Kentucky likes this.
  8. mpcusa

One of the things i like about the bars is the fact, that everything is in one package
    Coins especially the size we our talking about can become lost :( not that i am
    Careless just making that point.

9. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

I don't regularly lose coins almost dime and nickel sized but as heavy and worth as much as the smaller gold eagles. But that's why there's tubes and airtite's. You could always seal your AGE in a laminate card if you wanted it to be similar to how the 5/10 gold gram bars come also.

1/10 troy ounce American Gold Eagle coin
    • Diameter = 16.50 mm (0.649 in.) Dime = 17.9
    • Thickness = 1.19 mm (0.047 in.)
    • Gross Weight = 0.1091 troy ounces (3.393 grams)
    • Face Value = $5
    1/4 troy ounce American Gold Eagle coin
    • Diameter = 22 mm (0.87 in.) Nickel=21.21
    • Thickness = 1.83 mm (0.07 in.)
    • Gross Weight = 0.2727 troy ounces (8.483 grams)
    • Face Value = $10

Jason.A likes this.
  10. Jason.A

Jason.A Active Member

If you are going to buy small, you'll pay a much higher premium. You are likely to recapture more of that premium if it's on government issued coin than if it is a bar.

The larger weight you can afford to buy today up to a full 1 oz would be your best purchase to: a) pay less of a premium and b) make as much profit later.

In other words, buy a 1/10th oz coin if you are thinking of buying 3 grams. Buy a 1/4 oz if you can afford buying a little more than your 5 gram bar. Best yet, buy a full 1 oz AGE, Krugerrand, Gold Maple Leaf, etc. to pay the lowest premium today and recapture as much of that premium later when reselling.

Blissskr likes this.
  11. Speedbump

Speedbump Not a New Member

Just like generic silver, gold bar premiums are going to be difficult to recoup upon sale.

Blissskr likes this.
  12. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Shame on you if you lose a tenth oz. AGE.

13. mpcusa

LOL :) but its so small, but that,s the last thing i want to think about !
    Still in the deciding phase right now.

14. Deserttaxguy

Deserttaxguy New Member

I just started looking at that today. I found some 20 gram bars with low enough premium, of around $24 a bar. So, for since those are over a half ounce, I thought that was pretty good.

15. mpcusa

Can you steer me in that direction :)

16. Deserttaxguy

Deserttaxguy New Member

Glad to..
    Check out 20g Perth Bar in Assay cards at APMEX.. at todays gold price of $1270, thats $41 a gram. 20gram bar base metal at spot is $817.

APMEX had the Perth 20's for $841, which is roughly $24. So, given that 2 x 20gram bars equals 1.28 troy ounces, you will only be spending $37.50 per ounce for premium. Plus, APMEX offers free shipping and handling.. So, in my humble opinion.. that makes this deal like premium FREE!

They even have secondary market bars for $15 over spot. So, since there is so little difference in premium, go with the new bars in assay cards for safety.

Happy Stacking!

17. mpcusa

Awesome !! going to try and buy some gold this upcoming month, its getting close :)

18. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

While I have bought 5g bars I prefer 1/10 AGEs, which are 2/3rds the size. But my favorite is to buy European gold coins from mid-1800s to early 1900s. They generally run from about 0.18oz to 0.25 oz, or about 5gm to 8gm. Not only do you own gold but you get an interesting coin as well and there is enough variety that you never have to buy two of the same if you don't want.

Look at UK sovereigns, French, Swiss and Belgium 20 francs, Italian 20 lire, Dutch 10 gulden, German 20 mark. For most of these the premium will be less than for the new 5g bars if you buy average circulated.

19. rte

rte Well-Known Member

:p I knew it.....mpcusa heading over to the colored metal side.
    Next thing is one of everything....
    There is really no wrong play with gold (near to spot as possible)
    Do your research, there are fakes in coins and gold bars too.

20. rte

rte Well-Known Member

As I type, 24K gold is $40.72 a gram.
    Blissskr has a 1 gram Pamp Fortuna 24k gold bar in the for sale section at $45 shipped.
    It's a cool bar to start and break the Ice in your gold quest.

21. mpcusa

Just picked this up last week from my local dealer, though it would get me off
    In the right direction cost me $42 so wont hurt the budget to bad :)

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted